Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Microsoft windows update won't work for me

by hobbes / May 26, 2005 12:08 PM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft windows update won't work for me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft windows update won't work for me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try This From M$ to Me
by Merl Priester / May 26, 2005 2:18 PM PDT

From our case log, I understand that Windows Update shows an error and won't show any update. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you have encountered. Please be assured that I will try my best to help you solve this issue. However, if I have misunderstood your concern, please feel free to correct
me.

This issue is most likely caused by corrupted Windows Update cache folders. Let's take the following steps to try to troubleshoot this issue.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I would request you to temporarily disable any applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or Web accelerator (Programs associated to boost up the Speed of the Internet connection), firewall (Zone alarm, Sygate, Norton Internet Security etc.. ) antivirus (Norton, McAfee, etc..) , etc.
since these can block access to the Windows Update site controls. Once you are finished using the windows update, make sure that you enable these programs.

Step: Rename the temporary folder of Windows Update.
===========================================
This behavior may occur if the temporary folder of Windows Update has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder. Please be assured the folder will be created again when we visit the Windows Update site again.

1. Click Start, click Run, and type in "cmd" (without quotations) and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window to start the Automatic Updates service.

Type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without quotations) and press Enter.

Note: Please ensure the Automatic Updates service is stopped before we try to rename the folder.

2. Click Start, click Run, and type in "%windir%" (without quotations) and press Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SDold.
4. Click Start, click Run, and type in "cmd" (without quotations) and press Enter. Please run the command "net start WuAuServ" in the opened window to restart the service Automatic Updates.

Collapse -
Didn't work
by hobbes / May 27, 2005 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Try This From M$ to Me

First no error, just a blank page. (blank as in completely white with no text or graphics what so ever)

I typed net stop WuAuServ into a command shell and it told me
"The Automatic Updates service is not started.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521."

Running %windir% cause a error message saying "windows cannot find "'E:\Windows'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file click the start button then click search.

This reply is latter because I wasn't able to post (kept bringing me to the top of the screen when I tried) But I had my security on high, I've lowered it so I hope it works this time. Ill try and respond to the other suggestions a litle latter.

Collapse -
try this as well
by gopinath_sastra / May 26, 2005 4:27 PM PDT

rename the catroot and catroot2 folders in c:\windows\system32
make sure that Background Intellingent service is started and automatic
c:\windowsupdate.log file will tell what exactly is preventing the windows update
r u getting any specific error code like:0x800a00c or
0x8007004c if not it should be a blank page and if it is a blank page then it is a dll file corrupttion so do sfc /purgecache and sfc /scannow
if u have issues in installing the updates make sure that system restore is on
if these does not help pls
let me know bcos i am really curious to know wats happening
pls give the windowsupdate.log file

also try a new user account

Collapse -
No dice
by hobbes / May 27, 2005 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: try this as well

''rename the catroot and catroot2 folders in c:\windows\system32''

Rename them to what?

''make sure that Background Intelligent service is started and automatic''

Hmm? How do I do that?

''if it is a blank page then it is a dll file corruption so do sfc /purgecache and sfc /scannow''

It wants my XP pro cd, I lost that when I moved about 8 months ago.

''c:\windowsupdate.log file will tell what exactly is preventing the windows update''

There is no windowsupdate.log file.

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / May 26, 2005 10:16 PM PDT

Step through the contents of this "post."

Collapse -
Still need help
by hobbes / May 29, 2005 6:07 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

I went through that thread and checked out all the stuff that seems to relate to my issue. I found no fix in it.

Could I please get some more help?

Collapse -
I wish but no.
by Cursorcowboy / May 30, 2005 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Still need help

1. Type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without quotations) and press Enter.

I typed net stop WuAuServ into a command shell and it told me
"The Automatic Updates service is not started.

IMHO, from the suggestion #1 and your reply subsequent, your system has told you why the update service doesn't work. It is up to you to make this work.

2. Click Start, click Run, and type in "%windir%" (without quotations) and press Enter.

Running %windir% cause a error message saying "windows cannot find "'E:\Windows'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.

Entering the word, %windir%, on the Run line and pressing Enter, is nothing more than a simple convenience -- in most instances -- for a user to progress to the folder on a hard drive where the Windows operating system files are installed -- and when used, the path to that folder is ascertained from a registry address. Perhaps the address in the registry is wrong but I'm sure you know where the Windows folder exists and you can get there by clicking Start, Programs, Windows Explorer.

You never said whether you did or not.

4. rename the catroot and catroot2 folders in c:\windows\system32

Rename them to what?

Please consider directions of this sort are nothing more than you have the choice of name and can be any name you choose or it could be something like adding an extension to the existing name. If nothing else, simply put a period after the name found and then type either bad or perhaps old, and then press Enter. What we're trying to do by renaming is to circumvent the system from finding what has been used before and by renaming, it cannot do so.

5. ''make sure that Background Intelligent service is started and automatic''

Hmm? How do I do that?

Perhaps and perhaps not, the member may mean that explained in my reference, #7.

6. ''c:\windowsupdate.log file will tell what exactly is preventing the windows update''

There is no windowsupdate.log file.

I agree, but there is a "Windows Update.Log" -- note the spacing -- provided that the update feature has ever been used or certain errors are not received (which you mentioned but never gave us the exact information displayed on the monitor) - "Updates from the Windows Update Web site are not installed and an "Error 0x80070005: Access is denied" error message is logged to the Windows Update.log file (Q836926)."

7. ''if it is a blank page then it is a dll file corruption so do sfc /purgecache and sfc /scannow''

It wants my XP pro cd, I lost that when I moved about 8 months ago.

IMO then, you're SOL in getting this anomaly fixed and any others subsequently because you have no CD.

8. I went through that thread and checked out all the stuff that seems to relate to my issue. I found no fix in it.

Could I please get some more help?

Sorry.

Collapse -
I tried
by hobbes / May 30, 2005 5:52 PM PDT
In reply to: I wish but no.

You never said whether you did or not.

Well I hadn't done it before because I didn't know what opened folder you were speaking of.

I renamed all the folders you suggested to rename. Still can't use http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

5. ''make sure that Background Intelligent service is started and automatic''

Hmm? How do I do that?

Perhaps and perhaps not, the member may mean that explained in my reference, #7.

I don't understand this reply at all What is the perhapsing in reference to?

I agree, but there is a "Windows Update.Log" -- note the spacing -- provided that the update feature has ever been used or certain errors are not received (which you mentioned but never gave us the exact information displayed on the monitor) - "Updates from the Windows Update Web site are not installed and an "Error 0x80070005: Access is denied" error message is logged to the Windows Update.log file (Q836926)."

With or without space there is no such file in my root directory. You think I wouldn't mention if I saw the file albeit with a space?

I have used http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ successfully before, but when I use it now its just a blank page, as in completely white, that is the exactinformation displayed on the monitor, none at all
Collapse -
Maybe this!?
by tldees / May 30, 2005 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Still need help

No one has asked you to check your "services" and see if "automatic update" is turned on...Start-run-type in services.msc expand to full page. You can also get to it from the control panel, administrative tools, services. This is where you can turn stuff off or on depending on your needs. Make sure your auto update is set to automatic.

Collapse -
If he followed the advice
by Merl Priester / May 30, 2005 2:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe this!?

If he would follow the advice:

Two things, I showed him to turn off automatic updates, and it was already off. This in fact IS the problem.

Then he needed to follow the rest of the instructions, but I believe he stopped there. Later on in the post it shows how to turn automatic updates back on after renaming the correct folder.

As for what to name it to, anytime someone tells you to rename the folder, it really does not matter what you name it. Windows is looking for a folder with that exact name, if you rename the folder to that same name but put a 2 at the end, then you will be able to identify the old folder easily but windows will not see it at all. In the case of the update folder, Windows will then create a new folder with the name it needs and put new uncorrupted files in it.

As for where Windows is, well who knows, you haven't said if this is a dual boot, but if windows is on E: instead of C: that may cause a problem. If it is on C: then your system thinks it is on E: and that is a major problem.

If you have a product key (sticker) you can make a copy of someone elses CD and reinstall windows if you want. If Windows is on a partiton other than C:, I recommend disconnecting all drives except C: and the CDRom and install again.

If you have an old drive even if it is slaved and it used to be a C: drive, Windows will install itself to E: because the old drive is C: and the CDRom is D: so E: is the next drive letter available.

If you disconnect it during the install XP will be C: cd will be D: and the old drive will be E: after you reconnect.

Collapse -
RE:If he followed the advice
by hobbes / May 30, 2005 6:12 PM PDT

Two things, I showed him to turn off automatic updates, and it was already off. This in fact IS the problem.

Are you talking to me or to a audience? Its not a problem. I had disabled autoupdate some time ago. Along with msn messenger and other annoying programs defaulted to on and hard to get ride of in XP.

Then he needed to follow the rest of the instructions, but I believe he stopped there.

I followed your instructions the best I could. Don't be so damn hard on me. BTW who are you talking to?

Later on in the post it shows how to turn automatic updates back on after renaming the correct folder.

I didn't realize some instructions were turning on auto update. Which would explain why it was on. Fortunately easy enough to disable in its settings though.

As for where Windows is, well who knows, you haven't said if this is a dual boot, but if windows is on E: instead of C: that may cause a problem. If it is on C: then your system thinks it is on E: and that is a major problem.

Windows is on a partition other than C:, I recommend disconnecting all drives except C: and the CDRom and install again.

I do duel boot. Win98se and XP pro. My hdd is partitioned in half. I was trying to set one half as fat32 and one half as NTFS. Didn't work that way. both halves are fat32. Been considering investing in partition magic. I specifically installed XP to E, why do you see it as so important that it be installed as C?

Collapse -
Drive E: concerns
by Merl Priester / May 31, 2005 4:13 AM PDT

There are some programs, don't ask me which ones, I am taking the word of Bob Proffitt on this, that will not work correctly unless WIndows is on C:

That being said, when you post for help, giving everyone all the facts will help eliminate a lot of guessing and give us more to look at for possible problems.

Not knowing about the dual boot did in fact create several posts and discussion about possible errors, that if we had known this was the case, we would not have wasted time looking at.

You have stated you turned off automatic updates, if your turn it back on does it fix the problem or is it something else?

Collapse -
Why would I want autoupdate on?
by hobbes / May 30, 2005 6:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe this!?
No one has asked you to check your ''services'' and see if ''automatic update'' is turned on

I was told to type net stop WuAuServ into a command shell. Thats what I did and thats what message I received. No clue what your on about.

Make sure your auto update is set to automatic.

Why would I want autoupdate on? I really don't like XP's tendency to control, any behind the scenes behavior I can prevent seems a good thing to me. Less system processes cluttering things up. But I would like to update ever so often. Which is why I want to get http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ working for me.
Collapse -
''Why would I want autoupdate on? I really don't like XP's''
by glb613 / May 30, 2005 8:23 PM PDT

Because if it is turned off in the services area, you can't update. That is true whether you do a manual update or automatic. If you want to turn off automatic updates, do it through the control panel.

Collapse -
Not really
by hobbes / June 4, 2005 7:14 PM PDT
Because if it is turned off in the services area, you can't update. That is true whether you do a manual update or automatic.

I remember reading somewhere in microsofts stuff that even if you have autoupdate off you can always update manually. Anyways manual update doesn't work any better with autoupdate on. Plus autoupdate wasn't able to find any updates even though I know I'm out of date update wise.

I need to get access to the manual update, so I can update, so I can get to the bottom of other issues that have been plaguing my PC.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) *bump*
by hobbes / June 12, 2005 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Not really
Collapse -
If you are right, why are you still
by glb613 / June 12, 2005 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Not really

having problems? You need to have automatic updates enabled and set on automatic in services to get Windows updates.

It doesn't mean the updates are found automatically. You can disable that part of it by right clicking on My Computer then properties or through the control panel.

Collapse -
If I'm right about what?
by hobbes / June 13, 2005 6:01 AM PDT

Automatic update enabled or not does not make a difference to accessing http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Or putting it another way, if I have automatic update enabled I still can't access that webpage.

Collapse -
and..
by hobbes / June 13, 2005 6:11 AM PDT

Autoupdate doesn't seem to provide any real updates to download. I know windowsupdate would. But I can't access it. I just get a blank page. I mention this again because you seem to be implying that autoupdate can sub for the windowsupdate webpage.

Collapse -
I understand what your trying to do
by tldees / May 30, 2005 10:36 PM PDT

You dont have to do it in a command shell, glb613 is correct. If you are looking to save resources, services is the place to go. Look, none of us want micosoft to control our machine, your point is well taken. However updates are important for a healthy os. I set my machine to prompt when an update is available. There has been updates which cause problems. I wait before I download and install to make sure no one is having problems. That being said, by defalt xp sets many services on automatic which are nothing more than resourse hogs. I have 18 services disabled which xp has on automatic by defalt...One of the worst hogs being system restore...with proper backups you dont need it. Also turn everything off in startup except your anti virus and spyware programs.

To be honest I've not heard of anyone not being able to get updates manualy at the ms update site. I cant imagine what you could have changed to do that. At any rate, here is a link to guide you as to what you may want to disable in services. If it helps, I turned mine off one at the time to see the effects and kept going.

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

Collapse -
A better services guide...
by tldees / May 30, 2005 11:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
Microsoft windows update won't work for me
by Abddol / June 12, 2005 4:53 PM PDT

windows XP
dell

My protection virus and firwall works, but windows update does not work. I tried downloading microsoft windows update service pack 2, i have it but it does not download. When i go to security center my automatic update are off, and it has an X. Which means high alert. Basically, my automatic updates are not on and i want it to turn on.

Collapse -
Are you hobbes?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2005 10:22 PM PDT

Your reply seems to be a new problem worthy of it's own post.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thats not me
by hobbes / June 13, 2005 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you hobbes?
Collapse -
Windows update not working
by nahnot4ulol / December 18, 2008 2:42 AM PST

I had the same problem Today! The fix i found was to bootup in SAFE mode the go to start,run,cmd at the prompt type in Del c:\Windows\System32\CatRoot2\edb.log. might have to press enter to get it to run! Not sure why but i did! then rebooted and it was working again. Hope that helps

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.