PC Hardware forum

General discussion

microsoft vista home preminum vs iomega zip drive

by pc_tech2008 / May 18, 2008 1:33 AM PDT

This posting is cater to windows vista only

please share your experience using your zip drive (please indicate the drive zize (100 250 750) and the type disk you used (100 250 750) and what operating system you used (vista home preminum, vista basic, ultimate, business etc).

anyone tested or are using zip drive with vista?

if yes
does it work ok?

what are you using external or internal zip drive or usb (please also indicate drive size)

how does vista support zip drive ??? ok? problem (if yes please specify)?

how does your old internal zip drive works with a newly purchsed pc as internal? as external? as usb?

if you old zip disk was formatted and or being used with win xp and below how does vista read and support these disk? does it give you problem? or does it works ok? assume your disk was format and file saved using operating system xp and below

now that mac also support pc disk, how does a 'real' pc only pc read/write zip disk that was formatted or saved using mac that also support pc. ok? probem? recommend? commend? etc... feedback welcome

if you hear of any update on iomega on zip drive on vista please post the url.

any other question or issue I missed please feel free to add in.

this message was started hoping to collect information to share with others who are looking to bring forward their zip drive from their previous pc over to their newly purchased vista pc but is shaky or have concern if that zip drive of theirs will work. hoping any imput by anyone on this subject whether it is other's experience, new research found, suggestion, recommendation, feedback all are welcome

hope this message will or can bring in helpful information to anyone with question on zip drives

thanks for reading

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: microsoft vista home preminum vs iomega zip drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: microsoft vista home preminum vs iomega zip drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Iomega products claim to support win vista
by pc_tech2008 / May 18, 2008 2:11 AM PDT

please note.. I don't know the update date of this list by iomega

I recommend you talk to iomega before buying any of their product or transfer any hardware over from your old pc to your vista pc, they have a live chat that you can access thru their web site m-f. My 2nd recommendation is call or talk to them at least 3 times at different day and time and keep track of the rep name if you get 2 out of 3 with the same answers then you know you are not being told incorrect information. this is one good way to make your decision and of course use forum like this to check out more.

below is a list of iomega product that iomega claim will support vista

The following Iomega products are currently qualified for use with Windows Vista:

Collapse -
Zip Atapi 100 /250 hardware works with Vista 64 bit
by Tweakfiend / November 8, 2008 3:08 AM PST

Afetr several hours of effort I had discovered that the zip drive driver is not authorised / signed by MS so to resolve.... you can use run followed from "cmd"
Then type .....

bcdedit /set loadoptions

Then reboot
The read /write and eject functions should then work as on my System

watch for any MS updates KB 932596 AND KB938979 which are integrity updates will counteract this adjustment and should be removed first.

Collapse -
Zip drive Atapi Hardware in Vista 64
by Tweakfiend / November 8, 2008 4:34 AM PST

Should have said.... this resolves the issue where the atapi driver has become a problem in Vista 64 SP1.The zip drive appears in Device Manager but not in My Computer

Collapse -
by auspup / December 29, 2008 6:27 AM PST

Tried your fix using bcdedit/loadset loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKING. No Luck. Iomega loads their drivers and puts their icon on the drive but it can't be accessed even from an admin prompt. Everytime after the driver program runs I get a message that an entry point could not be accessed for VERSION.DLL As I say the Moderator of the Iomega forum on Zips says only USB version will work but you look on Iomega's wesite (as someone noted above) and Iomega claims that an Atapi (internal) Zip will work in Vista. If they can't write a driver to enable our Atapi Zips in Vista, Iomega should swap us out a rebuilt USB Zip for our Atapi. That would be a measure of whether they care about their customers or the allmighty dollar.

Collapse -
Iomega and Vista
by auspup / December 10, 2008 8:18 AM PST

Iomega claims ALL their Zip Drives work with ALL operating systems. Conversly the moderator of their Zip Forum admitted that only the USB Zips work in Vista. I'm sure Iomega's lie is prompted by their desire to sell you plenty of Zip Disks for your non-functional drive.

Collapse -
Iomega Atapi Zip 250
by auspup / January 31, 2009 3:03 PM PST

The moderator of the Iomega Zip forum says catagorically that only USB will work with Vista.Iomega claims all their zips will work with Vista and true to the RIP-OFFS they are, continue to sell disks and drives as though that were true.My 250 Atapi will not work with Vista or Windows 7 even when I try to emulate hard drives,floppies, etc. They are as dishonest as the day is long.

Collapse -
Vista Home Premium not reading Internal 100 MB ZIP disk
by Chas666 / October 16, 2009 7:06 AM PDT

I have about 48 100 MB Iomega ZIP disks most of which were written with XP and W2000 although a lot were written with versions prior to W2000. Vista sees the drive but doesn't read anything. I have numerous downloaded apps on these disks either in .exe or .zip format which I can't use. I'm not a newbie or a power user...somewhere in between. Would appreciate and suggestions, directions, etc. Thanks Charles

Equipment: 2 GB Athlon dual core processor, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD in two partitions, 4 printers including PDF995, 1 Epson 4990 Photo scanner.

Collapse -
Try our sticky post in our Storage Forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2009 7:21 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.