Computer Newbies forum

Microsoft Updates

by msjim / March 21, 2012 11:55 AM PDT

Microsoft's Windows 7
The automatic updates on my friends computer keeps repeating the same updates over and over. It repeats like 7 updates all the time. I believe that her son had Vista on this computer and then upgraded to Windows 7.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Some do repeat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2012 4:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Microsoft Updates

That one that checks for malware updates all the time. To figure this out, supply which update.

Collapse -
Depends as to why it is repeating
by ChuckT / March 24, 2012 6:52 AM PDT

One of the reasons it might be repeating an update is if the earlier update did not succeed. You could look in the history, via the Update website, and see what the prior updates did, and when.

If the priors attempts did not succeed then sometimes you can overcome that by following the associated links to get the full update file from the website and install it from your workstation.

Collapse -
Re: updte failures
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 24, 2012 6:55 AM PDT

If you see them failing repeatedly, hide them so they won't come any more. And please tell us the details about that 7, so we can see if there is a better solution than not applying them.

By the way, if you click on the 'failed' you get an error number and a link to an explanation and a possible cure. Can you tell those also?

Collapse -
Delete updates??
by msjim / March 30, 2012 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: updte failures

Should I go in a delete all of these updates that keep repeating? If, so how do I get there?

Collapse -
Re: windows updates
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 30, 2012 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Delete updates??
Collapse -
by msjim / June 20, 2012 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: updte failures

The computer is on Windows 7 home premium 32 bit SP1 with an intel pentium 4 CPU, 3.00GHZ, 4.00GB RAM.
It repeats the same Microsoft updates over and over day after day. When you look into the history they always show that they are "SUCCESSFUL". The following update numbers are::::

Collapse -
Good list. But to an old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

In short I see one that I remembered. It's for .NET 4.0 and ask yourself if any app uses that.

In fact, don't ask. Just uninstall .NET 4.0 and if you need it, the app will ask you to install it.

For each of those KB's just google that plus "fails to install" to find prior discussions.

ONE OF THOSE DOES REPEAT. It's that microsoft malicious software update and it will update over and over and over and over.

Collapse -
Old dicussion but NO resolution
by msjim / June 20, 2012 11:46 PM PDT

Bob, OK, I can delete the .NET 4.0

For the other KB's they ALL say they are "successful" over and over for months.

Collapse -
And I noted just one that should repeat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 8:08 AM PDT

I checked 2 out and gave an answer. I then shared how to research the others but I don't see your research results.

Collapse -
by msjim / June 21, 2012 12:04 PM PDT

I don't understand why these updates keep repeating day after day if they are successful. Explain how I am supose to fix these from repeating day after day. Explain to me why this is occuring. If, I understood why and how to fix the problem I wouldn't be here wasting you time.

Collapse -
Sorry. But I leave that to Microsoft.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Newbie

I will write it's normal for the Security item (the one with the term Malicious) to update all the time.

I can't explain why Microsoft chose to do that and why they don't fix this update issue. For example the .NET update failures are well discussed and my bet it they have thousands upon thousands of calls yet they consider it not to be they issue.

All I can do is offer that we uninstall .NET and let the app tell us we need .NET the next time around.

I can't explain Microsoft's behavior or decisions. I hope you understand that much.

Collapse -
Wait a moment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 12:40 PM PDT

I looked at those again and see .NET 4.0 in the first 3 items.

Are you wanting more explanations before you uninstall NET 4.0? Most of those vanish when 4.0 is gone.

I'm not here to support Microsoft but to help you learn how to do the research and to note the common cures.

Collapse -
by msjim / June 23, 2012 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Wait a moment.

Then do I delete all of the updates for these months discussed except for the malicious one? If, so is there a way to delet this large group?

Collapse -
No I didn't write that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2012 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Delete

I wrote to uninstall .NET 4.0

Since you are not able to do that, I suggest you have a talk with the folk you get your support from.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.