Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Microsoft to bring back Start Menu

by James Denison / December 11, 2013 3:21 AM PST

they must have fired someone high up who wanted to keep start menu off. Oh yeah, Ballmer is leaving soon.

"As per Verge, Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) is planning to make the Start menu available as an option in its next major Windows release, currently codenamed Threshold. It was not revealed, however, whether the Start menu will be available for all versions of Windows Threshold or just as an option to those that support desktop apps."

(more at article)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft to bring back Start Menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft to bring back Start Menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If Mr. Balmer had only listened to his customers.
by wpgwpg / December 11, 2013 3:41 AM PST

Will wonders never cease! Mr. Balmer might not've been forced into early retirement had he not refused to listen to his customers. Why he didn't is still a mystery to me, but it appears (emphasis on "appears") that maybe the message has finally gotten through. I guess when you get to be a CEO, you sometimes get to breathing rarified air and think you know more than your customers. I will most enthusiastically welcome the return of the Start menu if they don't pull some sleight of hand gimmickry like they did with the Start button in 8.1. I will look for the pre-release version so I can download & install it on one of my test PCs to see for myself.
Thank you James for this post!

Collapse -
by James Denison / December 11, 2013 3:55 AM PST

till then I have friends who swear by that Classic Shell program added to their new windows computers. It has a new version 4 out.

Collapse -
Just like many top brass
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2013 4:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Good article, Bob. Why wait 'till "late next year"?
by wpgwpg / December 11, 2013 12:32 PM PST

If Classic Shell, Start8, and numerous other 3rd parties can give us the Start menu now, and have been doing so for a good while, why does MS have to make us wait another year or so? Heck, the Start menu is still there under the coves, so anyone who searches for it can put a shortcut to it on the desktop. Fixing the full screen Metro apps might take a little longer, but desktop apps have been doing it for 18 years. I can only surmise that MS has gotten bogged down in its own bureaucracy.
One of the most profound things I ever learned was the formula n*(n-1). That's the formula for the number of communication paths among n people. It's a parabolic exponential curve that shows what happens when an organization grows. When it gets big enough, it becomes incredibly difficult for the players to communicate. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. A good example from my perspective is the federal Obamacare web site. I heard a news report where Mr. Obama himself recently commented that some gov't. organizations had gotten too big and inefficient. It was a rather obvious comment about HHS. Big corporations are full of such examples.

Collapse -
I've asked the same question. Here's what I collected.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2013 5:13 AM PST

There are a lot of folk that don't want to try such addons in fear it will break the OS and some have asked for support on items like FREE Classic Shell. It's been a good question and what is not helping is that download sites are injecting unwanted software into the downloads. A site owned by CBS for example and others including SourceForge have broken the trust folk put into such downloads and add ons.

With Sinofsky and friends out of the picture I predict this will be rectified soon. Bear in mind that I don't fault Sinofsky on "vision" but on how wide the vision was. It was myopic at times.

Collapse -
How long has it been since Sinofsky left? A year?
by wpgwpg / December 13, 2013 5:48 AM PST

Hasn't it been about a year since Sinofsky left MS? I credit him for the Metro interface on smart phones and tablets, but he sure screwed up the desktop & laptop UI. I was one of the numerous pre-release testers who kept pointing that out, but they held stubbornly to their "no compromises" mantra in spite of everything. It wasn't until the poor Windows 8 reception & sales hit MS in the pocketbook that they started to listen. Windows 8 has been out over a year now, 8.1 didn't resolve the problem, so NOW they're finally getting the message it appears. Better late than never, but why does it have to take ANOTHER year to put the start menu back, when it's still there under the covers? We have to wait two years for this? Sad
You're sure right on about people's mistrust for downloads, Bob. I haven't run into problems downloading Classic Shell from the developer's site, but I have noticed that some other developer's sites re-route you to other places for the free versions of their products. I recently ran into this with Avast. One more reason for the popularity of tablets. When the Google Play Store has over a million apps, many of which are free, and even the ones that're not free are very inexpensive AND malware free (at least so far), that's very persuasive. The same for Amazon and the Apple store it seems. Personally I can type orders of magnitude faster on a real keyboard than on a dinky onscreen one, so I'm only using my tablets infrequently. If that makes me an old f*rt stick in the mud, so be it! Grin

Collapse -
(NT) Might take a while. Example? Car hits skunk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2013 6:05 AM PST
Collapse -
Ahhh, marketing
by Steven Haninger / December 11, 2013 5:30 PM PST

Folks no longer asking what you'd like but telling you what you should like. Sort of like how Obamacare came to be. Wink

Collapse -
True, but Steve Jobs pulled it off bigtime
by Roger NC / December 11, 2013 8:02 PM PST
In reply to: Ahhh, marketing

with the "i" series,

Somewhat with iMac, but then iPod, then iPhone. He created a product and convinced people that's what they should want, somehow he pulled it off.

Saw a story somewhere other day, wish I had marked it since I didn't have time to read it then. It was supposedly a guess wish list, a list of gifts kids would end up loving this year that people really didn't know about yet. I thought it would be interesting to read the predictions now and see how it worked out over the next 6 months.

Collapse -
(NT) Excellent description!
by James Denison / December 11, 2013 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: Ahhh, marketing
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.