Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Microsoft Security Essentials Turning Off

by beachangel1 / February 8, 2011 11:48 PM PST

I have to use Microsoft Security Essentials because of the job I do from home. It is the software that they require you to use. The problem is that every time I either restart my computer or turn my computer off and back on the microsoft security essentials is off. This is what the box says after my computer restarts or I turn it back on "Security Essentials could not turn on real-time protection. This operation returned because time out period expired". What does that mean.

Here is are the two things I have tried so far:

1) Un-install and re-install Microsoft Security Essentials and it still does the same thing.

2) Created a new user account and it works just fine with the new user account.

The problem is that I need for it to work under my account like it had been doing all along till recently because everything I use and the program I log into work for is under my name with a password.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem. I look forward to any assistance you can give me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Security Essentials Turning Off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Security Essentials Turning Off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need Help with Microsoft Security Essentials
by beachangel1 / February 9, 2011 4:50 AM PST

I really hope someone has some suggestions as to why Microsoft Security Essentials would be off when I restart my computer or turn my computer off and back on. Yet it would not do that when I created a new user. It is imperative that I get this working because the program I log into for work is under the account I have always used and have never had a problem with any of the programs that are on the desktop.

I contacted Microsoft yesterday and did what they said. They sent an email saying that they would get back with me today. Of course I haven't heard anything and am concerned because I don't know if the problem I'm having with Microsoft Security Essentials is causing the problems I am having when I log into the software that I have to use work.

I will keep checking back to see if anyone has responsded with what I need to do to fix this problem.

Collapse -
Please be patient. I am sure that
by roddy32 / February 9, 2011 5:35 AM PST

someone that has used the program will respond. I have not myself and we do not get many troubleshooting questions about it in this forum.

Collapse -
Re: MSE Turning Off..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 9, 2011 5:34 AM PST

I'm don't have MSE installed. But from my experience, a good deal of those type problems are due to conflicting software. At times, partially uninstalled (previous) A/V's. When you removed AVG, did you use their AVG Remover tool?

I searched the Microsoft Security Essentials Forum to see if I could find the error message, or a similar situation. This was the closet I could find. Also have a look here to make sure MSE's services are set correctly.

You said you contacted Microsoft yesterday. Did you open an email support case here?

I wish I could be of further help. Why this happens with one account and not the other, I don't know.

Best of luck..

Collapse -
VPN Client Not Updated
by rhabdomantist / February 9, 2011 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re: MSE Turning Off..

This may be the problem sinceyou indicated you can no longer access work software and I am assumngyou recently were prompted to upgrade to version 2 of MSE from version 1. Unfortunately version 1 is no longer supported by Microsoft. It's really an issue for your company's IT to sort out with the VPN. However, if you have access to version 1 installation package you may be able to uninstall version 2(2.0.657.0)and reinstall version 1. This has been reported in MSE Forums quite often of late, the most recent being this thread,

Of course without further info I am only guessing.

Collapse -
MSE still turning off on its own
by beachangel1 / February 9, 2011 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: VPN Client Not Updated

Thank you both for getting back to me. It doesn't make sense why it would not turn off when I created a new user account yet it turns off under the account I've used since I got this computer (I mean this just started happening out of the blue).

I don't recall doing an upgrade to MSE for version 2. From all the research I've done I can't finy any information on how to go back to version 1 if I do have version 2.

My contact with Microsoft started out as a chat. The person I was chatting with said she would send me an email of what to do and if what she said to do did not work to email her back from that email which I did. I don't understand why she didn't respond back like she said she would.

Hopefully someone here has had this problem and will respond. I will keep checking. Thank you for your suggestions and trying to help me.

Collapse -
Turning Off at New User Account
by beachangel1 / February 9, 2011 11:01 PM PST

Just wanted to let you know that it is off when I do the restart on the new user account too. So it's happening with both accounts.

Not sure what to do at this point. Hopefully someone will see this and respond that has had the same problem

Collapse -
More info
by rhabdomantist / February 10, 2011 5:05 AM PST

Please amswer the folowing questions:
1)What is your operating system?(XP, Vista, Win 7)
2)When did you first install MSE?
3)What,if any,other abtivirus/antimalare programs were installed or remain on this computer?
4)Did this happen this past Patch Tuesday?(Feb. Cool
5)What is the version of MSE?(open interface, click on down arrow next to Help on right side of window-? Help v-and select About Security Essentials, read Security Essentials Version)
6)When did it last check for virus defintions?(Update tab)
7)Has it done a recent scan?(bottom of Home?main window)
8)What were you instructed to do by MS Support and what were any results?
9)Has your computer experienced any other abnormal behavour?(possible malware)
10)When you uninstalled/reinstalled what method did you use and from where did you obtain the installation package(this should also display the version # when you mouse over it)and how did you reboot after both uninstallingand reinstalling?

I believe this is problem is a combination of version upgrade and recent Windows Update and failed uninstall/reinstall. Suggest you first check "Uninstalling MSE"
and "Checklist for installing MSE" here,
Pay closeattention to the instructions on verifying the status of prevoius or existing antivius/antimalware programs
I also suggest you may wish to post in the MSE forums with all the information requested above. The responses there are far more timely and quite helpful paricularly if you provide all relavent information.
MSE:Getting Stared and Upgrading

Collapse -
Will Get The Infor Needed
by beachangel1 / February 10, 2011 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: More info

I wanted to let you know that I will be working over 11 hours the next 2 days. I will work on getting these questions answered. I will send a reply on Sunday, the 13th with all of the answers. I am off that day so hopefully that will be the day we can get this issue fixed once and for all.

Thank you so much for helping me.

Collapse -
by mkrock / February 11, 2011 3:37 PM PST

I have been using MSE since September, with no problems, just one irritating factor. MSE does not automatically update, even though it says it does.(I checked this out and many are complaining about this) I open up MSE at least 5 times a day and check for updates, and most of the time there will be an update, with up to 3 updates each day, so I am manually updating every day. A few times there have been major updates that has come up on my Windows Update.

If your not getting the daily updates for MSE, then your computer could be lagging way behind... I don't know if that could be the reason or not why your having problems. Have you been checking for updates several times a day?

When I installed MSE, I spoke with an MSN tech person to question programs that might conflict with MSE. I was told to get rid of Malwarebytes as it it known to conflict with MSE, so I did, you also need to remove all antivirus and antispyware programs on your pc before downloading MSE.

Also... when you downloaded MSE, that should have disabled your Windows Defender. Check and make sure that is disabled.

The current version of MSE is:
Security Essentials Version: 2.0.657.0
Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.8107.0
Engine Version: 1.1.6502.0
Antivirus Definition: 1.97.1553.0
Antispyware definition: 1.97.1553.0
Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.0.5854.0
Network Inspection System Definition Version:

To find these versions:
1. click on your MSE desktop icon
2. on upper right side, next to the word "help", click the down arrow button
3. In the window that opens, click on "About Security Essentials"

When you downloaded the MSE program, you downloaded it in an administrative account, correct? If so, it should then show up on all administrative and standard accounts. If it doesn not, then go to the start button, type in the search box "microsfot security essentionals" and when it comes up, right click on it, then "send to" your desktop, where it will put an icon.

Here is Microsofts offical download link for MSE. Go there and on the right side, read SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (this will tell you what your pc needs in order to do the download) There are TWO download buttons on this page.. I can't remember which one I clicked on to download for my 32 bit Vista. Watch the download video, it should say which download button to use for your computer, if it doesn't,then the info on which button to use for download should be on this page.

LINK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e1605e70-9649-4a87-8532-33d813687a7f#SystemRequirements

Also, You must have either Internet Explorer or Firefox as a browser on you pc, to use MSE.

At this link, you can get a step by step video instruction on how to install.

If you have any other virus or spyware programs on your pc, you need to delete them so MSE won't conflict with them, also the same with Malwarebytes.

When removing MSE, there is a possibility that you used control pantel to remove MSE, and that it did not remove all reminents of the program. I use REVO to remove any programs... it's a great freebie program.

One last mention... you should have the GREEN icon for MSE on your task bar, by the clock... it should be green.. if it is not, click on it and then click on open... this will open the program up and it should then run.

Best of luck to you... keep us posted.

Collapse -
A few Clarifications
by rhabdomantist / February 12, 2011 8:26 AM PST

By default MSE automatically checks for defintions updates every 24 hours but as you noted they are generated sometimes three times a day and manual updating is an option somemay choose to address any lagging. The interval can be changed to check between 1 and 24 hours by doing the following:

?Go to Run and open Registry Editor by entering regedit command.
?Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Microsoft Antimalware/Signature Updates
?In the right pane, take ownership and grant full control permissions on a registry key, a REG_DWORD value named SignatureUpdateInterval. (How you can take permission control on this key, Click on SignatureUpdateInterval dword key and go to Edit Menu and then go to permissions.)
?Double click on the SignatureUpdateInterval. By default, its value is 24 (in Decimal) or 18 (in Hexadecimal). Change its value to any number between 1 and 24 (both inclusive) in Decimal.
The numerical value determines how frequent and how fast (in hours) Microsoft Security Essentials will check for updates and update the virus and spyware definitions.
?Restart the computer

However, this is not a Microsoft recommendation. Manual updating can be beneficial for users(typically low RAM XP)who experience performance issues when automatic updating occurs.
Another alternative for scanning using the most up to date signatures is Windows Live OneCare safety scanner,

You may have misinterpreted advice from "MSN"? support regarding Malwarebytes Antimalware. The referenceis general to running any other antimalware products in Real-time protection mode. General consensus amongst the MSE community is that Malwarebytes can be installed alongside MSE and used as an on-demand scanner. The same applies to SUPERAntiSpyware although some have reported issues. Other software such as Norton, McAfee, etc. should not exist on a computer that uses MSE as their main antimalware installation and care should be taken to ensure that these types of software should be removed using the applicable removal/uninstall methods/tools before installing MSE.
Malwarbytes have attempted to design their product to run real-time protection alongside many other antimalware includingMSE and some maintain no issues arise in doing so, then again this is not recommendeed by Microsoft and support from them may be denied. Refer to these threads,

The status of Windows Defender is OS dependant. MSE installation on machines with Vista or Win 7 will automatically disable Windows Defender. Those using XP should uninstall Windows Defender before installing MSE.

System requirements list IE and Firefox as browsers for using MSE. In fact you can use *any* browser at all. The recommendation for IE or Firefox is for installation due to the way that the page renders and checks you OS and language. Use of any other browser may yield unexpected results for the installation. You can always manually select the language
and OS from the download page, though. Unless problems occur I would suggest the following site for downloading MSE initially,

From here you can select the language and operting system after clicking the Download button. Also, for Microsoft Support anyone should start here,

For forum support which I suggest for those requiring more immediate and IMO often better assistance, start here,

Also for anyone interested in using MSE, please refer to the links I provide in my previous post.

@dgprotectyor-Glad you were able to resolve your issues with themethod chosen, it's not always that simple.

@mkrock-As mentioned in my comment above solutions are not always straight forward, that is why I requested specific additional information from beachangel before making further recommendations. Don't mean to thrash you with my clarifications in any way, your interest and input are appreciated.
Regarding the existance of other antimalware products and MSE, I have MBAM, SAS and Hitman Pro as on-demand scaaners without conflict. Finally I should mention I have been using MSE for over a year and was a beta tester for MSE starting back July 17, 2010. I am also a regular contributing member of MSE forums.

Collapse -
by mkrock / March 1, 2011 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: A few Clarifications

RE: your comment of: You may have misinterpreted advice from "MSN"? support regarding Malwarebytes Antimalware.

No, I didn't misinterpret their advice. I was told by a MSN tech support person who was very knowledgable that Malwarebytes did conflict with MSE, but I've heard many people are not having an issues with the two. Regardless, I am glad Malwarebytes is off my pc for 2 reasons: 1)in the 3 years I had Malwarebytes on my pc, it never caught anything. 2)after it was removed, OMG... my pc ran SO MUCH FASTER!

I just spoke with another MSN tech person on 02/25 due to how Qwest is no longer going to partner with MSN, and I wanted to keep MSN as my ISP, and I asked this tech person about the Malwarebytes VS MSE, and this tech person said that some are having problems with both programs downloaded on their pc's and other's are not... his recommendation was to not have both on a pc. Go figure... maybe it's an "India" thing... LOL

RE: your comment of: By default MSE automatically checks for defintions updates every 24 hours.

After reading your comment on updates, I did not do any manual updates for 3 days, and the update page showed that no updates were downloaded to my pc during those 3 days, so I did a manual update. Again I did this... I did no manual updates again but this time for 4 days and again no updates were made on my pc during those 4 days. Am I the only person out there who has to manually update my pc because MSE is not updating it? Aren't I the lucky one.

No disrespect for your comments, just wanted you to know my side. Thank you for all of the info you provided.

Collapse -
Microsoft Security Essentials Turning Off
by dgprotective / February 11, 2011 3:01 PM PST

I had the same problem. I had uninstalled my previous antivirus programme but there must still have been some traces left. I therefore uninstalled MSE, re-installed my previous programme and then removed all traces of it using Revo Uninstaller. I then re-installed MSE which worked OK.

Collapse -
Answers To Your Questions
by beachangel1 / February 13, 2011 3:49 AM PST

First I would like to say thank you for all of your information and help. I am going to print out your responses.

1) I have Windows Vista, Service Pack 2, 32-bit
2) I installed MSE in November 2010
3) The only other programs installed on this computer are Malwarebytes and Super-Antivirus which the support team (help desk) for the company I work with said would fine to leave on my computer
4) This started happening several weeks ago.
5) Version have is 2.0.657.01
6) I just checked for updates on 2/12.
7) I did a full scan on 2/12 and only do a quick scan once a week and a full scan every 25 days as it is required by the company where I work that we do a full scan every 30 days or we won't be able to log into their system.
Cool Microsoft had me un-install & re-install which did not work then had me create a new user account which also did not work.
9) Everything else on my computer is working fine except every once in a while it says internet explorer is not responding and closes.
10) I did the un-install from my control panel and did the re-install from cnet downloads. When I mouse over it I do not get the version number. I restarted my computer both after un-installing and re-installing.

I hope I have given you all the information you need. If not let me know. Again thank you to all of you for helping me with this issue.

Collapse -
by mkrock / February 13, 2011 1:15 PM PST

Just for the heck of it, remove Malwarebytes and see if it makes a difference. Some say they have no problems with Malwarebytes installed, yet others say they have problems.

I had Malwarebytes on my Vista 32 bit SP2 and MSN told me to remove it before installing MSE. I did and I have no problems. (I had asked both a MSN technician and 2 Quest technicians about Malwarebytes, and all 3 said to remove it.)

If you uninstall Malwarebytes and you then have no problems, then you know what the issue is... if you still have problems, then it probably wasn't Malwarebytes conflicting.

Who is your ISP? I have Quest with MSN. I can have Quest or MSN take over my computer and fix any problems, which is nice. If your ISP can do that, then request that they remove MSE and then reinstall it. Your privacy settings may need changing. MSN changed a lot of my Internet Explorer settings when I was having problems installing new programs, and after that my pc runs like a charm. (I had previous changed all of my privacy settings to the strongest settings, and apparantely MSE won't work with those type of settings.) Maybe your Internet Explorer settings need to be changed...

Collapse -
by dgprotective / February 13, 2011 3:15 PM PST

You must NEVER have two anti-virus programmes installed! Uninstall MSE, use Revo Uninstaller (which will remove every last trace) to remove your other anti-virus and then re-install MSE - this solved the same problem for me. I also have Malwarebytes installed (on Windows 7) and it causes no problem.

Collapse -
Renee, do you have the FREE or PAID versions of MBAM & SAS?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 13, 2011 9:22 PM PST

Another question. I asked in a previous post, if you used AVG's removal tool, after initially uninstalling it. Did you use it?

Collapse -
Free Versions of Malware & SAS
by beachangel1 / February 28, 2011 3:51 AM PST

I am sorry that I did not get back to you sooner. I have worked way too many hours and not had any free time. Then I hurt my back and was unable to work much less sit at the computer.

I have done everything that all of you had told me to do. I also was able to do a chat session with Microsoft and they said that my MSE is working the way it is suppose to and that it can take up to 3 minutes for MSE to turn on after re-starting my computer or turning my computer off and back on.

I hope all of you agree with this. Thanks again for all of your help.

Collapse -
Re: Free Versions of MBAM & SAS
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 28, 2011 6:37 AM PST

NO apologies necessary. I'm so sorry to hear about your back problems. I know first-hand how painful it can be.

I asked if you had the free versions, in order to rule out any conflicts, with the paid versions running in real-time.

I thought to originally ask, if after waiting, MSE eventually turned itself on. I took for granted, it didn't. There are quite a few threads at the Microsoft Security Forum, where other's have the same complaint. (You are not alone. Also have a look at the amount of threads here )

One of the standard explanations for the delay, is that it's due to a lot of programs running at start up. And/or the use of a "low end" PC. See the last two posts in this thread. Also look at "Dr Stangelove's" check list. Additionally, see this thread where Stephen Boots (Moderator) is involved.

If your major concern was that you were working "unprotected", I would think you now know it's not the case.

Take care of yourself..

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.