Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Microsoft Security Essentials freezes on full scan

by msoucy / October 12, 2010 10:28 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Security Essentials freezes on full scan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Security Essentials freezes on full scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, I've seen that issue also on Windows 7
by Donna Buenaventura / October 12, 2010 4:23 PM PDT

What I did is I restarted the computer (normal mode).
Manually update Microsoft Security Essentials definitions.
Run a scan and the scan did not stop anymore in the said tlb file.

It happened to me twice and the above work-around works for me, which you might want to try.
If you will have problem updating, get the new detection signature from:

If it won't help, please let us know the version # of MSE in your computer. There is a new version released via Windows Update, or available for download from:

Collapse -
Still have problems
by msoucy / October 14, 2010 11:54 AM PDT

I downloaded the latest updates manually for it, and did a complete scan and it still lockes up on me. Here is the version I am using:

Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.2498.0
Antimalware Client Version: 2.1.6805.0
Engine Version: 1.1.6201.0
Antivirus definitions: 1.91.1800.0
Antispyware definitions: 1.91.1800.0

Any other ideas on what elese I can do? I thinking I might have a virus because I'm having problem installing updates to Windows XP itself. It downloads them fine but seems to lookup during the install process. I'm hoping once the issue with my virus can is cleared up the Windows update issue will be fixed as well.

Collapse -
Sorry that it did not work for you
by Donna Buenaventura / October 14, 2010 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Still have problems

Let us see if there is virus/malware that is causing the issue. Scan the computer using the free tools below:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner (no install is needed)

EmsiSoft MalAware (no install is needed)

Or using the online scanners:

If any of above finds malware, let it quarantine/disinfect, and then reboot the computer and try to run a full scan again using MS Security Essentials.
And then try using Windows Update again.

If no malware is detected, I suggest to do this:

1. Try to fix first the Windows Update issue. Visit Windows Update website again, try to allow the installation. If it locks up during the install process, please note the error code or error message. Post in your next reply the said information.

If there is no error code or error message, please browse for WindowsUpdate.log in C:\Windows. Open it using a notepad, and then scroll down the last entry.
Copy and paste in your next reply, the latest log entry only e.g. today's log.

2. Open MS Security Essentials then click Scan > Custom scan.
Browse for C:\Windows\System32\Com folder then let it scan this directory.
Please tell us if MSE will hang its scan on it. I just want to make sure this is not a permission issue.

Collapse -
Not sure what to do next
by msoucy / October 17, 2010 2:55 PM PDT

Okay here is where things stand. The last Windows update that was downloaded seemed to apply successfully. I'm not sure if I still have any more issues with Windows updates. Will have to wait until the next one comes down. I did a full scan using both MalwareBytes and SuperAnitSpyware in safe mode. Both programs found a spyware program and removed it. I did a custom scan using MSE of the Winodows/System32/Com folder and it finished with no viruses reported. I then did a full scan and it still stops on C:\Windows\System32\Com\mtsadmin.tlb. It should be noted that the full scan only works in Safe mode. If I attempt to run a full scan with Windows in normal mode it won't even start. At this point I don't know what to do next.

Collapse -
Glad to hear there's no WU issue this time.
by Donna Buenaventura / October 17, 2010 8:40 PM PDT

I'd like to suggest to repair Microsoft Security Essentials using Fix MSE Utility in normal mode (not safe mode)

Note that it is a third-party program developed Ramesh Kumar, a Microsoft MVP awardee that you can trust to use because it is safe.

After resetting/fixing MSE, please reboot the computer normally and try to scan again.

BTW, glad that the two tools has removed unwanted programs in your PC.

Collapse -
Now what?
by msoucy / October 18, 2010 11:49 AM PDT

Okay I downloaded the fix program, ran it, and then rebooted my PC. The full scan now starts in normal mode but still stops on the one file. BTW, what is that file it's trying to scan? Any other suggestions? Should I start looking at other virus can programs like AVG?

Collapse -
No, you don't need to use other antivirus program
by Donna Buenaventura / October 18, 2010 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Now what?

May I ask if you have other program that is running in real-time e.g. anti-spyware from other vendor or third-party firewall software.

Also, what antivirus program was installed prior installing MSE?

You don't need to replace MSE because the problem is not impacting your system health or it is not posing risk. The full scan may halt using other antivirus program, if:

1. Definition update needs fixing by the vendor
2. Another antivirus or anti-malware, antispyware is running that is preventing MSE to proceed.
3. Remnants of already removed antivirus program is still there.

You can send email to Microsoft by going to:
Choose "Problems scanning the computer" under "Scanning, detecting, and removing threats".
Next, choose your language "English - United States", click on Continue.
Select "Email support"
Fill-in the online form. You should bet a response from them.
They might ask for logs to help identify the cause of the scan freezes on your computer, even after you've updated the definitions or reset MSE.

Collapse -
Sorry took so long to get back to you...
by msoucy / October 27, 2010 1:55 PM PDT

I have MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware running on my PC. Should I remove these programs now that I'm done with them or maybe keep one of them? Prior to MSE I had Microsoft One Care. I'll check out the MS web site and see what they say.

Collapse -
Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware
by Donna Buenaventura / October 27, 2010 4:21 PM PDT

Both programs are free. You can configure SUPERAntispyware to not to startup in Windows.
I think you should keep them, update when you want to scan the PC. The programs can find some stuff that antivirus may have missed (just like when they found spyware in your PC).

Can you try this also:

1. Uninstall MSE. Reboot the PC (normal mode).
2. Use Windows Live OneCare cleanup utility (OneCareCleanUp.exe) to remove the remnants of OneCare, if any.
3. Download the news installer of MSE
4. Install MSE, update it.
5. Run a full scan.

If the above won't help, I guess you really need to check MS for assistance. They may need logs to help find the cause.

Collapse -
Microsoft Security Essential Freezes On Full Scan
by brianauger / March 15, 2013 9:07 AM PDT

Another cause of freezing on a full disc scan is a disc error.I had this problem where it would always freeze on scannning the same file, it turns out the disk was going bad. Check disk (CHKDSK) will find and fix bad sectors on your disk and allow a full scan.Google check disk for your version of windows to see how to access this program. If you have bad sectors, it will fix the problem and buy you time until you can replace your hard drive.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.