Computer Help

General discussion

Microsoft Outlook-How do you have emails....................

by nickich / November 17, 2008 5:09 AM PST

I'm looking for a way to set up one of my approval emails to send an attachment (which must be signed by several people). What I need is for me to send it once to the first person, then when that person has approved and signed the attachment to have it automatically sent to the next person. Is that possible? Right now the email and attachment is going back and forth to me and driving me crazy. I also want it to cc me to let me know it has changed hands. Please help!!!!!

The previous help question before this one - I guess my mind was out shopping to the outlet... hehehehe.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Outlook-How do you have emails....................
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Outlook-How do you have emails....................
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If All Mail Addresses Are In Your Contacts List...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 17, 2008 6:16 AM PST

...then such a task is not that difficult using a Microsoft Word document.. It's called "Routing" and can be done by creating a routing slip from within a Word document.. See the link below:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/msoffice/?p=549&tag=nl.e056

The Word document is sent as an attachment and after being approved, it will then be routed on to the next person in the list.. A little training of the receivers of the document may be required as it takes a knack to make it work correctly..(Save the attachment to your desktop, open it, sign the document, then save and close.. Open the document and close it again and it will ask the user if they want to route it to the next person in the list.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Not a feature of Outlook.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2008 6:26 AM PST

You can look up "electronic signing" but unless its worth a few thousand to you then just say no.

Collapse -
We Do It Often...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 17, 2008 6:49 AM PST

We use it for routing Work Performance Evaluations of our employees. We have a number of employees that work in a variety of work areas and as such, various supervisors have input into the WPE. We've created special/editable but "Protected" forms using Microsoft Word.. Each supervisory user has his own CHECK mark box next to his/her name which can be CHECKED when the user is finished editing the WPE sections. (I'm guessing the same could be done using a tablet PC with a handwriting program and touchscreen for use with an actual signature, but it's not necessary for our situation.) When finished, the document is then routed to the next person in the list AND a copy is sent to the secretary in charge who monitors each of the routing locations which relays from where the document was routed.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Email help - domino effect for signature approval
by nickich / November 17, 2008 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: We Do It Often...

The type of document attachment I have is in an excel format.

Collapse -
Excel Documents Can Be Routed Also..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 17, 2008 11:23 PM PST

Did you check? Follow the same steps as was provided in the link from my other post. On this machine with Office 2002, I create a routing slip in Excel by clicking on "File-Send To-Routing Recipient", then setup the routing recipients you want to receive the documents. I believe Office 2003 is the same.

The procedures can be found by Googling the topic.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Excell Documents Can be routed also....
by nickich / November 18, 2008 1:07 AM PST

Thanks Grif..... It sounds like you don't think I know how to forward a message. When I read you last message, it clicked that's what you thought. I know how to forward... what I'm looking for is:
I have 6 department heads that need to approve and sign a document (that's in excel), but it can only be sent in a certain order. Like Robert doesn't want to sign it till the department head signs it. So if I send it to the department head... he signs and then somehow gets directed automatically to the VP (Robert), then automatically directed back to me to finalize it. I'm trying to get away from sending it Mike, getting it back, sending it to Robert,,,,etc. This probably doesn't make sense. Thanks for trying!!! I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
Forwarding is NOT what Griff suggested ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 18, 2008 1:26 AM PST

If you look in MS Office 2007 (or any other version) help file for routing you will find the exact steps. All recipients on your routing list must be in your contacts address book.

The help file information will read something like the following although the exact proceedure (this is for an excel workbook) will differ based on Office version --

Create a routing slip

1. Open the workbook you want to route.
2. On the File menu, point to Send To, and then click Routing Recipient.
3. To select recipients to route the workbook to, click Address.
4. In the Type name or select from list box, type a recipient's name, and then click To. Once you've entered the last recipient name in the To box, click OK.

You can select a group alias as the recipient. However, all members of the group alias are considered one recipient. To route the workbook to members of a group alias one after another, route it to the individual members,
not to the entire alias.

You can change the order in which recipients will receive the routed workbook by changing the order of recipient names in the list. Select the name of the recipient you want to move up or down in the list, and then click the appropriate arrow.

5. Select other routing options you want.

For Help on an option, click the question mark and then click the option.

6. To route the workbook, click Route.

To close the dialog box without routing the workbook, click Add Slip. To route the workbook at a later time, open the workbook, click Send To on the File menu, and then click Next Routing Recipient.

Note When you route a workbook, the workbook is sent as an attachment in an e-mail message.

Collapse -
Yep, Not Forwarding... Routing....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 18, 2008 2:19 AM PST

Please read what I wrote.. Apparently, you did not..

And yes, a routing slip goes from one routing recipient to the next, then to the next, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Help for email forwarding
by nickich / November 18, 2008 9:52 AM PST

Thanks so much Grif!!!! You've been so nice to take the time for me. You've been very patient.....

Collapse -
Thanks...But Again, It's Not 'Forwarding'...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 18, 2008 12:01 PM PST

.. It's called routing.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.