Mac Hardware forum

Question

Microsoft Outlook Email

by jetlag95 / August 25, 2012 7:27 AM PDT

I am trying to get my MS Outlook email working and have bumped into some obstacles.

Right now, I have set up the email addresses. When I click on send/receive a window pops up telling me the folowing:

<<Outlook cannot find the server. Verify the server information is entered correctly in the Account Settings, and that your DNS settings in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct.>>>>

How do I set up my email accounts?

Thanks for your help as I am a new user to the Macbook.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Outlook Email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Outlook Email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you can get on the internet with your MacBook,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 25, 2012 8:51 AM PDT

then your DNS Settings are fine.
That leaves the information you typed into the Accounts section of Outlook when you created the account.

You need to make sure that all the details are correct.

Is is a POP3 account or IMAP?

Do you have the correct SMTP server name?

Who is you Internet Service Provider that you are trying to get email from?

This is not a Macbook thing, the settings required for email accounts apply equally to Mac and Windows

P

Collapse -
I am not sure if I should be using
by jetlag95 / August 26, 2012 11:13 PM PDT

pop or IMAP. I think it is pop since that is what it was on my PC. How can I tell which one I should be using? How do I know what server to use for SMTP etc. I am trying to retrieve my email from Time Warner Cable New York. They have Road Runner. I understand this is not a Macbook problem, just thought someone could help me set up my road runner mail in outlook. Thanks for all your help.

Valerie

Collapse -
Go to this link,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 27, 2012 6:44 AM PDT
https://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/about/contactus.ashx

Click on the Support tab.

Enter your ISP name (Time Warner), your State and City.

Then select Email from the next page and ALL the information you need, including step by step instructions on how to set up Outlook

Let us know how you get on

P
Collapse -
This is something I already know
by jetlag95 / August 27, 2012 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Go to this link,

how to do. I just wish to receive my outlook mail from my mac. going to the time warner's web mail is just receiving my road runner mail from time warner cable's server. If I get microsoft outlook working, I can get my address book and email addresses but I cannot do that if I just go to time warner's web server. I will have to try and figure this out. Thanks.

Valerie

Collapse -
Wonder why you didn't read the link
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 27, 2012 10:33 PM PDT

or follow the instructions on how to configure Outlook to receive mail on your Mac.

Go there again and read the section on email.

It contains ALL the details of the Mail Servers, POP and SMTP, that you will need to configure your version of Outlook.

I don't see where I mentioned Web Mail in my first post to you or why you would think that I did.

P

Collapse -
I read WebMail when I clicked on
by jetlag95 / August 28, 2012 11:24 AM PDT

the link you sent to me. I truly did not see anywhere on the site where it indicated setting up outlook email. I will try this again being very careful not to miss anything and will let you know tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. Be well....

Collapse -
check this page
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 29, 2012 4:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the message
by jetlag95 / August 30, 2012 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: check this page

I have not tried creating Outlook to my Macbook yet. I am having other issues which I am hoping you might can help me with. I have a Macbook with 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo - with 2 GB - 1067 MHz DDR3. Now last night my computer started to run very very slow. Something it has not done before. I am not saving anything to my hard drive. What could be the problem?

Collapse -
"I am not saving anything to my hard drive"
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 30, 2012 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the message

may be a clue.

Why are you not saving anything to your hard drive?

Is it because you cannot save stuff there?

A failing HD can cause the slowdown you describe.

More details please

P

Collapse -
Failing HD ?
by jetlag95 / August 30, 2012 7:53 PM PDT

I am not saving to my hard drive because I don't want to load it up with stuff as I don't think the 2 GB is enough memory for all the stuff I am doing. I just recently started using this macbook for about one month now. Had it for over a year or so but just never used it. Now it is my primary computer. Should I be taking it in for a checkup?

Valerie

p.s. I do notice that the less stuff I have open on my desk top the faster the computer.

Collapse -
You are confusing Hard Drive space with RAM
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 30, 2012 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Failing HD ?

they are two different things.

you have not said which Macbook you actually have but you have at least 120GB of hard drive space in our MacBook.
This is space that holds all your applications, documents, pictures, etc. and the Operating System.

RAM (Random Access Memory) on the other hand, is where your applications are housed when you launch them. As you only have 2GB of RAM, it would not be unusual to hear that your computer is slowing down when you have lots of applications open.
One solution to that problem is to install more RAM.
Visit crucial.com and use their configuration tool to determine how much more RAM you can install in your Macbook.
Depending on the age of your Macbook, you will probably be able to double the amount of RAM installed. Note that you would have to discard the two RAM modules that are already in the Macbook as there are only two RAM slots.

The other solution is to not have a lot of applications open at once.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.