Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Microsoft has its own registry cleaner?...

by helaninja / March 3, 2009 9:19 PM PST

I was just wondering if microsoft has its own registry cleaner for xp instead of trying to find free ones on cnet i can just get it in my pc somewhere...

But,only 1 problem with that though,i cant seem to find it in my pc to actually find it myself lol,anybody here know where the rgistry cleaner is in microsoft xp for windows?...

thnx guys...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft has its own registry cleaner?...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft has its own registry cleaner?...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Microsofts registry cleaner.
by Kees Bakker / March 3, 2009 9:33 PM PST
Collapse -
Microsofts registry cleaner...
by helaninja / March 3, 2009 9:48 PM PST

Ahh oic,no wonder i couldnt find it lol,thnx im gonna try that,but i hope since it doesnt support windows xp that it will not mess up my pc,thats what worries me about not really knowing how to work my computer very well that ill end up messing it up lol...

Collapse -
(NT) If you don't trust it, don't use it. No need at all.
by Kees Bakker / March 3, 2009 9:49 PM PST
Collapse -
RegClean actually came out for NT 4.0 and ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 4, 2009 3:41 AM PST

that is pretty much where it stopped because there is no real need for ANY registry cleaner - they tend to mess things up more than if orphaned entries are simply left in the registry and manually removed it they cause a problem (such as messages when booting about not finding some file which can invariably be traced to one of the RUN entries).

If you do not know much about the registry how do you determine which items found by any "registry cleaner" are actually "safe" to remove. Some that get labeled "safe" get removed and the user doesn't notice any problem until he or she tries to make use of a seldom used service or a manually started service or utility or peripheral and then it is difficult to actually remember removing the entry much less associate the removal with the problem.

Collapse -
McAfee SiteAdvisor says stay away
by Dango517 / March 13, 2009 2:35 PM PDT

from this site. They are classifying it as a "red" zone.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/

This software is free and can help keep you away from problem sites.

(I am not affiliated with the McAfee company in any way other then that I use this product. I receive no compensation from them. This is not an ad nor is it spam. This is a suggestion)

I would also suggest that this site contact McAfee directly to have their status changed. I will avoid freedownloadscenter till they do.

Collapse -
Ahem!
by DADSGETNDOWN / March 13, 2009 6:42 PM PDT

Are you refering to CNET ? This site you are on now ? Thier downloads section ?
Or is that a site called Freedownloadcenter ?.
I thought they stopped working on Site Advisor a while ago.?
If you are talking about The downloads here at Cnet I can only say, are you new to computers ?.
AND Site advisor and other products like it warn you about things just becuase it's a download, or contains a certain word or phrase or any number of lame reasons. (just like spyware or virus programs).
Pay attention and do research.
You CAN'T be talking about Cnets Downloads Lol.
Site advisor will flag sites like Yahoo for thier toolbar,
in fact they will flag any site that they know of) that has downloads that contain even a "optional install of ANY toolbar" good or bad...

Collapse -
Posts Were Removed.. Play Nice Please
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 14, 2009 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahem!

Personal attacks, name calling, and such are against forum policy. Such posts will be removed..

Remember this is a "Help" forum, here to assist "newbies" in their computer concerns.. Let's keep it that way.

Hope this helps...

Grif

Collapse -
Two of the better ones . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 4, 2009 12:10 AM PST

and free.

CCleaner

RegscrubXP

I'll let you Google'em.

Collapse -
bah,buy them from registering it?...
by helaninja / March 4, 2009 12:36 AM PST

yeah nice,ill google all 3 of those,but i really hope i dont have to end up buying it when you go to "register the product"...

Collapse -
You're mistaken . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 4, 2009 2:57 PM PST

read carefully, they're free.

Collapse -
Just An Opinion.. Don't Use One..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 4, 2009 12:47 AM PST

It sounds as if you're not fully familiar with the actual removal techniques of various registry cleaners.. First, they remove registry entries automatically.. If you don't know EXACTLY which registry entries are being removed, and since removing the wrong entry can cause lasting problems for the computer, are you sure you want to let ANY registry cleaner remove such entries until you have the knowledge to verify the removals are correct and safe?

We see quite a few threads on these forums where registry cleaners have caused problems for members. In my opinion, XP doesn't really benefit much for registry cleaning anyway, unless it's a malware related problem and if that's the case, individual entries need to be removed, not random entries from a registry cleaner.

As such, for most newbies, it's best do a lot of research and perform a lot of registry edits manually before running a registry cleaner that automatically eliminates hundreds of registry entries.

Your choice...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
found 1 so far thats good...
by helaninja / March 4, 2009 1:31 AM PST

Yeah your right,i really dont know much about rgistry cleaners but theres 1 i found called Abexo...and it seems pretty good for me bc before i dl"ed Abexo and did a registry clean,yu werent able to watch videos on youtube and you could forget about watching msn vids or the skateboarding vids on tonyhawks website youtube vids play as clear as day with no spinning dots in the middle of the screen no more(watched 6 or was it 7 vids)...
As for tonyhawks website,theres still tiny tiny snap pauses but no doted circles in the middle of the videos no more,which,thats cool atleast "before" abexo,sigh,you couldnt watch any skaters doing anything...so idk it seems i did do something right,but "all" the things in abexo wouldnt be deleted,which,i have no idea as why...

Collapse -
I agree Except.
by DADSGETNDOWN / March 13, 2009 6:02 PM PDT

I posted too, I agree as far as deep reg cleaners.
BUT CCleaner and WindowsLive One Care are completely safe you won't mess anything up with those.

Collapse -
Registry cleaner
by durocher17661 / March 16, 2009 3:43 AM PDT

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I didn't know much about registries and I thought these programs made this easier. To my chagrin they removed some vital items and it took me quite a while before I got it to run right again. If you're not sure don't touch registries

Collapse -
Very straight and simple answer
by DADSGETNDOWN / March 13, 2009 12:13 PM PDT

The answer is Very straight and simple.
Yes they do, but because it is Microsft does NOT mean it is good OR bad, they are always in the middle to Mid-High.
Just got to the Windows Live One Care and Scan it will check your registry fairly well. not a deep scan but you will mess it up if you deep scan/ reg cleaners. And not be able to start or fic it so it can start your computer.

Go get Ccleaner use that and WindowsLive One care you are good to go.

Collapse -
Registry Cleaner
by clay58 / March 13, 2009 12:56 PM PDT

You want 3 things in a registry cleaner. #1 it must be safe to use, and you want to be confident it will do no damage. #2, you want it to be free, and have a loyal following of satisfied users. #3. you want it to be made by a reputable software company. There is only one registry cleaner that fits that bill and it is the only one I will recommend. That program is Piriform CCleaner. It is safe to use, can clean not only the registry but lots of other things, like Temp files, History, etc. It also is a great uninstaller for every program on your computer. Can also be used to block programs from running at startup. CCleaner is the only program I ever recommend for cleaning the registry. It is not necessarily the most through one you can use but it is the safest. I have never seen cCleaner cause one single problem on any of the hundreds of PC I have installed it on, or recommended it be installed. I do highly recommend you leave all the setting at the default and do not change any of them. That way you are safe. You can get it here:

http://www.piriform.com/

Collapse -
Yes they do, but ...................
by Dango517 / March 13, 2009 4:00 PM PDT
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Did you see the warning at the top of this site page? If you missed it read it now.

(This program does not work like many registry repair programs that are available online. This is an "after program removal" registry cleaner. Meaning it only cleans up leftover data once a program has been removed. This is not how many online registry cleaners work. These programs remove registry content from "installed" programs. This is a big difference.)

Registry repair software appears to come in two forms, aggressive programs that remove to much data and mild registry repair software that avoids hardware and OS related entries in the registry.

The Windows registry, in large part, is a "store" of setting that are loaded during the boot process. As you change settings the registry changes. Programs usually can be simply reloaded if a registry program deletes important data from within them.

This is pretty much the problem .............. The registry also holds hardware and OS settings as well and in some cases algorithms that are used by the central processor to process data. If items in these areas of the registry are removed this can lead to serious PC problems. Leading up to and requiring an OS re-installation.

In some situations however, registries can become corrupted and registry repair software might repair this damage. In these emergencies registry repair software can be used in a final attempt, a last chance attempt to repair a damaged registry before reinstalling the OS becomes necessary. In short when you have nothing to loose registry repair might save a dieing OS.

I use registry repair software.
Collapse -
Not live one care
by DADSGETNDOWN / March 13, 2009 6:17 PM PDT

What you are talking about is completely different than
Windows Live One Care Free Online scan.
Go there and use the full scan or just the Tune up.
Thay also have a real Reg cleaner other than this Windows Installer clean up you point to.
Make a windows Backup, make a ccleaner back up, if you use SpyBot S&D make a back up with that and you are as good to go as you are going to get. being safe. ( you can save them to your computer AND copies to Flash drives, better yet a CD, is your best bet.)
If you run into a problem that will be the best way to roll back,
lets not forget about system restore. Happy

If you use program that claims to be a reg repair you are not only in trouble but headed for more. Happy

Collapse -
helaninja
by clay58 / March 14, 2009 12:24 AM PDT

Please do not listen to these people who are pointing you to microsoft registry cleaner. There is no registry cleaner that is made by Microsoft and never has been. They have made utility cleaners for a specific task but have never made a full fledged registry cleaner. The one they are pointing you to is a malicious program and will damage your PC and I cannot believe anyone would recommend this piece of garbage. It may say microsoft, but it is not a piece of software from Microsoft. That is the reason McAfee Site Advisor & Web Of Trust (WOT) both flag this site as a malicious site. Go get Piriform CCleaner like a few people and myself have recommended and your search is over. It is safe for any newbie. Stay away from these other malicious programs such as the one that was recommended.

Collapse -
Registry Cleaner
by clay58 / March 16, 2009 4:27 AM PDT

You need to close this subject. You have received your answer from some knowledgeable people and from some who do not know what they are talking about.
Microsoft does not have a Registry Cleaner.
Piriform CCleaner is the one you should choose and is perfectly safe to use if you leave the default settings alone, an is the only registry cleaner a novice should use.
That is your answer.

Collapse -
Microsoft DOES have a registry cleaner
by cstigler / March 18, 2009 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Registry Cleaner
Collapse -
Windows Live Care
by clay58 / March 18, 2009 4:05 AM PDT

I stand corrected. Microsoft does have Windows Live Care if you want to go that route, but I personally do no want WLC on my PC. I have no affiliation with Piriform CCleaner whatsoever, I just know it is the safest one a novice can use and it is free. I have been using it for years myself and have installed it on over 100 computers with not one problem ever. I cannot say the same for any of the other registry cleaners out there. Some are more thorough, but can get a novice into trouble,

Collapse -
Windows Live Care
by cstigler / March 18, 2009 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Live Care

Very good clay58. I didn't mean to offend, just wanted accurate info out there. I'm glad you've had such good results with Piriform. And don't misunderstand, I'm not vouching for Microsoft's product, just that they have one.

Collapse -
I Understand
by clay58 / March 18, 2009 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Live Care

I too never want to post inaccurate information. I had totally forgotten about Windows Live One Care and I appreciate you correcting me. I never get upset when I am corrected, if it is done politely as you did.

Collapse -
Sorry, I've Seen OneCare Cause Issues As Well
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 18, 2009 4:30 AM PDT

Just because it's Microsoft doesn't mean it's safe or identified the correct reg keys.. Although I'm not a fan of the Live OneCare scan and as such, haven't used it recently, but when I first used the tool, there was NO BACKUP utility/option to backup those registry keys that were identified for removal.. When the keys were gone, they were gone and if a mistake was made, ooopps... Yes, a system restore point is created prior to removing the items BUT ONLY IF SR is enabled on the computer and even then, a restore point is only kept as long as the allotted space and elapsed time allows.. Since registry boondoggles are frequently not noticed for days or weeks, the restore point may be gone.

I still maintain, the use of registry cleaners of any type, for general maintenance isn't a wise idea for newbies simply because we've seen enough damage on these forums to recommend avoiding such uses..PLUS their use generally shows little, to no improvement in speed or performance. Once the user has sufficient knowledge to KNOW what's being identified and removed, then that's a different story..

It's your choice so use at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
CCleaner
by lablover / February 4, 2012 7:52 AM PST

Those that have commented favorablry on CCleaner know what they are talking about. I have been using it for several years and it has never caused the slightest problem, and works as advertised.
You would think that MS, author of Windows would provide a non destructive registery cleaner since they are supposed to know the registry intimately. GO figure..

Collapse -
May be that's why
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 5, 2012 8:17 PM PST
In reply to: CCleaner

May be that's why Microsoft has not offered any such utility. They know how important the registry is and how difficult it is to scan the registry and the system to find every single entry that is no longer needed by anything installed on the system.

Mark

Collapse -
Microsoft had one.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 5, 2012 8:40 PM PST
In reply to: CCleaner

But when it started to compromise Office 2003, they removed it from their download site. They knew how difficult it was.

Kees

Collapse -
Registry cleaners
by btljooz / February 4, 2012 8:16 AM PST

For computer newbies, yes, CCleaner is the safest option. That said, ALL registry cleaners ...even CCleaner... must be used with extreme care and caution because if just ONE wrong file is deleted from the registry this will irrevocably ruin the system it belongs to. Therefore, it is best for computer newbies to leave the registry alone until they learn more. That is why CCleaner is the best program for a computer newbie to use.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.