Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Alert

Microsoft EMET for IE 6, 7, 8, 9

by mchainmchain / September 20, 2012 3:01 AM PDT

Just applied the fix-it issued by Microsoft for IE8. Running XP SP3

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-573705/microsoft-out-of-band-advance-notice-fix-it-solution/

Since the fix-it was applied, noted that another browser used, FF 15.0.1, no longer is displaying artifacts at the bottom 10-30% of the browser window when scrolling the page up or down to view content. Did not matter what site was viewed, some sites affected less or more than others.

This artifact was quite noticeable and annoying; it was a transient black area that appeared only in the bottom with no web content displayed. It seemed to have a flickering effect on the bottom part of the window when it appeared as scrolling was called. Black area always disappeared when window was not scrolled.

Anyone else note this behavior? Always use a sandbox when using a browser, whether IE or FF. What was a possible cause?

Not running any version of java on this system. Running the latest version of Flash Player.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft EMET for IE 6, 7, 8, 9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft EMET for IE 6, 7, 8, 9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've seen that issue come and go.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2012 3:05 AM PDT

In our Windows apps (keep in mind that I work with others writing apps for more than Windows) we've seen that come and go as machines and apps update. It's not an unknown issue but has no definitive cause or cure.

Most of the time I find it's a video driver issue or in the case of Flash, their change to hardware acceleration which we turn off a lot.

Wish there was one cause but if there is, it's this -> The PC is a hodgepodge collection of hardware and software from some thousand makers and authors. For now it's amazing that we are getting this good a result.
Bob

Collapse -
Hey
by mchainmchain / September 20, 2012 4:42 AM PDT

Will try turning off Flash hardware acceleration to see it that fixes it.

BTW, issue just came back, so will watch for at time to see what is the likely cause by trying different things here.

Mystery to me as to why FF would be affected by the fix-it for IE in a positive way.

Collapse -
Who knew?
by mchainmchain / September 20, 2012 7:57 PM PDT

Thanks for the virtual aspirin. Though it would seem that from what you say and do, you might need some at times.

Interesting stuff in those links! Just to keep up would need some aspirin. Laugh

Collapse -
Re: Who knew?
by mchainmchain / September 22, 2012 8:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Who knew?

Just applied the four critical updates for IE8, and no artifacts at bottom of browser window once again!

Workaround fix issued Wednesday was only a temporary fix. I still needed the virtual aspirin again.

Don't need it anymore. It is now gone.

Nice!

Collapse -
How about turning off FF hardware acceleration?
by mchainmchain / September 24, 2012 6:47 PM PDT

That's what I did for a permanent fix. Good for an older machine.

You got me thinking what else used video hardware acceleration.

But the virtual (vritual) aspirin will come in handy someday.

Collapse -
I'm working on something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 1:56 AM PDT

It's not ready but as some folk are having troubles with machines and at times they can't find a fix, and along the lines of the flash hardware acceleration issue I have been testing out an idea.

It's not going to sit well with the purists but I'm trying the following. This is only done on cranky PCs that don't seem to respond to the usual fixes so with that out of the way here it is. -> We limit the number of cores that Windows uses. <-

On a spiffy i7 we pull it back to 6 and on the i5 we pull it back to 2 or 3.

Again, this is more of a workaround to real issues.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.