Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Microsoft Dynamics RMS (POS Software) Review

by jeffy232 / February 7, 2009 2:20 PM PST

I own this software and have used it for countless hours. There are no reviews for it, so I am posting one. Hopefully some search engines find this. Do not buy this system. It is extremely hard to use, and even after mastering it, you find that there are a large numbers of missing features that make it useless. I cannot suggest anything else because I am stuck with this. I could write a book about why is is bad. Just dont buy it. I hopes this saves sombody years of upset and wasted time and money.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Dynamics RMS (POS Software) Review
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Dynamics RMS (POS Software) Review
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Microsoft Dynamics RMS
by lwilkin / May 6, 2009 8:18 AM PDT

I can not agree more! RMS is unbelievably BAD. I am a retail management professional with 25 years of experience in some of the nations leading retailers. We have been using RMS for over 2 years in our 4 door chain and are still working out major bugs and trying to nail down even the most basic of processes. If you buy this system, plan on having a full time consultant on hand. Microsoft calls the RMS system an 80% solution; meaning it would do 80% of what most retailers need right out of the box. The remaining 20% is customizable. I would give this maybe at 15% solution. The designers of this platform lack the most basic understanding of retail business management and have clearly never worked in retail management. We have spent thousands of $?s on solving problems with this system and I spend more time trying to rectify system problems than I do analyzing and managing my business.
The most frustrating thing is this system has all the information you would want but it makes it impossible to use the information or view it in any way that is remotely helpful. As a POS (point of Sale) system it works fine, however as an inventory and sales manaement system it is a complete POS (piece of Sh**)

Collapse -
Very Bad Experience
by fireworksgreen / December 3, 2009 11:01 PM PST

I also agree POS equals, Piece of *&%#, and their local support retailer has been equally painful to workwith. This is for very, very small organizations. I have owned and spend many ours manipulating this software to bend with our business. Finally realizing that we have out grown it since day two and look forward to our new system in February. Don't buy it!

Collapse -
You are 100% right! I have the same experience.
by joon526 / December 20, 2009 12:47 AM PST

Right now I am using lastest version of MS RMS but the functions are so bad. It is very hard to sorting to get sales data by many different categories. Item Search engine function is so bad. Even outdated items and sold out items should have to be done inactive.
It is not user friendly software. Change Item number and description is not allowed after sales. Never buy it!!!!!!

Collapse -
RMS POS
by teknogroove / April 16, 2010 5:11 AM PDT

folks,

I (Software Analyst) just had this app dumped on me by my IT dept. At the first credit card transaction of the day, RMS goes out on port 80 trying to verify something. Our Internet access is block by authentication so RMS times out finally after 5-10 minutes per the users. It then allows transactions to be processed. Any idea where I can look? I'm currently a total newb with this app and after reading the comments I feel like I just bought a Yugo.

Collapse -
Re: RMS POS
by Kees Bakker / April 16, 2010 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: RMS POS

Seems a rather strange question for a software analist (whatever a software analist exactly might be).

If it is related to network security issues, as you write, that's typically managed by the IT Dept. And usually they have a support contract with the supplier of said software.
The internal software dept can do nothing about it, it seems.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: RMS POS
by teknogroove / April 16, 2010 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: RMS POS

Kees, thank you for your response. For your reference, I'm in an IT department, and part of a software analysts job is to research and analize their supported applications at any means nessesary. I was looking for a more technical answer, maybe a quick overview of which module(s) of the app are going out to authentic/update/call home, if any. The vendor doesn't know of any ports that connect to the Internet via port 80 or any other port for that matter. This is why I'm searching in this forum. Our info security dept can open certain ports but I need to give them the port information first...

Collapse -
Then it's time to contact Microsoft tech support.
by Kees Bakker / April 17, 2010 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: RMS POS

They made it. They know. We're only users, like you.

Kees

Collapse -
Microsoft Dynamics RMS (POS Software) Review
by 24sevencart / May 12, 2010 8:29 PM PDT

On the contrary..I believe this is one of the best thing to happen to the retail industry.

Microsoft Dynamics RMS is truly dynamic and I can give numerous examples of happy customers.

Perhaps, you are not adequately trained to use it.

Collapse -
POS Software Systems
by davebrown74 / September 27, 2010 3:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Other best Pos system
by josephwarnel / September 27, 2010 2:48 PM PDT
In reply to: POS Software Systems

Hi..
If you have problem with your pos I have one pos called xchange pos http://www.xchange-pos.com/index.html.It provides you pos software for all kind of business.It is a division of a Cygnet Infotech which is CMMI Level 3, ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 27001:2005 certified company.

Collapse -
You guys need help!
by JD2696 / November 18, 2010 11:24 PM PST

My company has been a POS software Value Added Reseller for over 20 years. We've been selling RMS for 4 years and have around 100 clients using it. It's all about 'configuration' - how you set it up dictates how it will work for you. Further, since it's a SQL database, the information is readily avaialable. I'd bet dollars to donuts that 1 or 2 custom reports would make your users ecstatic. Beyond that, there are countless add-ons that would work as well. There's a great BI Tool from Swift QBI www.swiftqbi.com - check them out and tell them I sent you. John - JD Associates

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.