Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Microsoft Anti-Spy Beta

by funkid7 / May 27, 2005 6:30 PM PDT

I am using it and loving it! Why you ask? Because it validates most of my suspicions about, Who is who in the intrusive software biz.Finally, I have found an Anti-spy utility; that is easy to use and understand, immediately! Has all the features I knew I needed.
First night: 9 baddies found on my system! My favorite Yahoo anti-spy; never found them(no wonder it ran such a quick scan)! MASB not only finds them, but FINALLY, I get a clearer and more understanding description about the ****** and what to do about it. Googles toolbar continues to attempt and install itself, without my permission. Interesting how; when I type a search in my Yahoo homepage, all the resulting links, lead to a google search page? Are these two Giants having a war I haven't heard about? Google is the one single BHO/searchbar app that MASB cannot remove. Yes Microsofts Anti-spy says Google is there without permission and a severe threat. It found two trojans and FINALLY FINALLY killed that NewDot.net cannot find it's dll window! HOORAY!!!It definitely solved alot of my WIN32 issues. THings that Adaware SE and Yahoo's Anti-spy never found.

Second night I had MASB installed it did it's scheduled scan and found 6 more buggers attempting to install themselves! Forget Spybot S&D; it never does anything. I had the same results as Mucka did, from an earlier post in this forum. Teatimer/enabled has never stopped a thing for me, just took up space.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Anti-Spy Beta
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Anti-Spy Beta
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Google not severe, but marked unknown
by funkid7 / May 27, 2005 6:44 PM PDT

HJT logs that i ran and saved in my docs did not show most of these spies. I compared the BHO's between HJT and MASB. HJT only shows three out nine. So far MASB hasn't disabled something I wanted or caused any issues, etc. 3 days and counting.... third night MASB found no spies, trojans or malicious ware of any kind. Google is still on my toolbars list but no where else. MASB says it is unknown toolbar, maybe because I previously deleted the dll. for Google?

Collapse -
MASB found these trojans:
by funkid7 / May 27, 2005 6:49 PM PDT

Microsofts Anti-spy Found these on my sys: Search Me Up. A Trojan downloader, Jeem Trojan. Backdoor, Mssys Trojan.

Collapse -
my experience has been
by dawillie / May 28, 2005 4:51 AM PDT

that MSAS finds and allegedly deletes them, but they are found again by both SpyBot and Ad-Aware.

you might want to try scanning with these products as well as on line scanning with either Trend or Panda.

all links available in your search engine.

Collapse -
I said it before and...
by funkid7 / May 28, 2005 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: my experience has been

one more time: I am afraid of using those free on-line utilities; that is when the spies suddenly increase and my system slows w-a-a-a-a-y down. The spies are either attacking these free venders and users of said, or they are piggybacking their code on the updates. I have installed, ran and un-installed these utilities three times now: Adaware 6/Adaware SE/ SpyBot Search and Destroy. these also used: Spy Sweeper/ Yahoo Anti-spy(still using, one install)couple others once or twice. They all have their flaws. As does, Microsofts version.
One differnce so far: Speed; I still have it, with MASB running. More speed on the net, actually.

Collapse -
From the time I installed MASB....
by Basil Hall / May 28, 2005 7:47 AM PDT

it has never found a single malicious item. This is because my other free antispy and virus programs are doing a great job. However, I have noticed my PC has slowed down, but only since downloading MASB?

Collapse -
possibly because it is running in the background
by dawillie / May 28, 2005 8:16 AM PDT

go to MSCONFIG and uncheck gcasSERV in the start up tab.

now this is an on demand scanner.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Done. I will see how it goes. Thanks David
by Basil Hall / May 28, 2005 8:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, seems to have fixed it.
by Basil Hall / May 28, 2005 8:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have recently learned
by funkid7 / May 29, 2005 8:05 AM PDT

That we all have something valid we wish to say. All of these utilities have good and bad sides.
For me: running just Microsofts Anti-spy and no virus protection, is lightning fast and not careless, if you have nothing to lose.
THe speed loss, comes from too many of these blockers and utilities trying to run at once. I have 21 running processes at boot-up. Now that makes for speed.

Collapse -
Even if you have nothing to lose
by Donna Buenaventura / June 12, 2005 1:49 AM PDT

Running a system without real-time protection by antivirus is not recommended even if there is nothing to lose. What if a system become compromised? A user without real time protection by updated antivirus can be come compromised and used by the attacker to infect other machines, relay spam etc.

Even if the system is fully patched, to keep a system and other system safe, a firewall and antivirus is advised to be running in real time.

Not all antivirus program will use huge resources or slow down the system. For example, AVG from Grisoft. Users who prefer not to use freeware may use AVG Pro or other good AV in the market.

Collapse -
What do you expect for free from MS
by marty56 / June 10, 2005 1:12 AM PDT

Do you really think MS is going to put a quality product out there for free? Come on people why do you think Bill Gates is worth $4.6 Billion!!

Collapse -
Reply to: What do you expect for free from MS
by ticj / June 10, 2005 10:19 AM PDT

Works good for me so far. Probably will not remain free though.

Ticj

Collapse -
Agree; both are possible
by funkid7 / May 29, 2005 7:58 AM PDT

MASB does slow down log-on, a slight bit as it loads. The speed I have attained; most likely came from MASB's ability to delete the 3 trojans, on my comp.
C-Net forums homepage loaded up on my DSL, in 0.40 of a second: done.

Collapse -
I have to disagree.......
by TONI H / June 11, 2005 5:58 AM PDT

I personally only use ETrust Antivirus, Ad-Aware and MSAB.....and no ZoneAlarm. I have, at the most, three spywares that show up on a regular basis because of CNET, so I just leave them alone since I hang out here everyday all day anyhow.

I suggest instead that your spyware is coming from your surfing habits and poor settings in Internet Options/Advanced and Security.

I'm on a satellite modem that is on 24/7...as well as a computer that never gets turned off so I figure if anybody would normally get hit, it would be me. However, in all my years of being on the net, I've gotten two email viruses which were caught immediately by my AV program, and one virus from a downloaded file. My ISP, like many others now, has a spam and virus filter at their end, and occasionally (once every couple of months), I get an email alert from them that they caught one and destroyed it for me.

I'm a heavy downloader.....and I travel quite a bit as a Moderator in these CNET forums since I check most links that people put in their posts, so it's not even a case of my isolating myself to just a few internet travels.

Common sense is almost more important than programs out there as far as I'm concerned, and perhaps you need a little more of that rather than criticism for programs that actually have great reputations for working correctly.

TONI

Collapse -
I COULD NOT AGREE MORE...
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 11, 2005 9:45 AM PDT

With Toni.. when she say's..
'Common sense is almost more important than programs out there as far as I'm concerned, and perhaps you need a little more of that rather than criticism for programs that actually have great reputations for working correctly.'

AMEN!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Any system or application has its own flaws
by Donna Buenaventura / June 12, 2005 1:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Also stopped 90percent of junk mail
by funkid7 / May 30, 2005 10:04 AM PDT

Microsoft has finally done one thing right, in my book: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta version; has stopped the majority of those unwanted bulk mailers. NO other anti-spyware utility has accomplished this and I have tried several.

Collapse -
Case in point
by Basil Hall / June 1, 2005 10:04 AM PDT

I have just downloaded the new Spybot which found a Double Click tracking cookie. I wanted to test the various Spyware programs so I did not delete it - Adaware found it, but MSWB did not!

You can get rid of unwanted cookies by using the free internet sweeper:

http://www.bmesite.com/

In "Show more options" there is a "save certain cookies" option. When you sweep it cleans all the cache material and also malicious and unwanted cookies. I only takes secs It also has a built in pop-up stopper.

Collapse -
Why not just disable third-party cookies in IE?
by Wizzleteats / June 10, 2005 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Case in point

You can do that on the privacy tab in the Tools > Internet Options dialogue.

It seems weird to fault MSASB for not performing a feature built into the MS browser.

Collapse -
spybot and ad aware are great
by ChazzMatt / June 10, 2005 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Case in point

I use them in addition to Giant -- which is what Microsoft bought and re-named to be their anti-spyware program. It's really Giant. but, the version I have is not crippled, like the Microsoft version. If you like the Microsoft version, you would have LOVED the full program. But, Microsoft bought the company and stopped selling the original. If you go to Microsoft's website, even they will tell you that if your Giant subscription is still valid to keep using that because it has more functionality than the Microsoft beta -- for instance it works with all versions of Windows, not just 2000 and XP. And it deletes more cookies and stuff.

Ad aware and Spybot are just amazing programs. I cannot fanthom how they are being given away for free. yes, ad aware also sells "pro" subscriptions and spybot asks for donations. But, both are free. However, make sure you have the latest version of spybot... whenever they update they don't send out a notice, instead the program just stops finding updates. without updates it can't detect the latest spyware. so, periodically check. I had a friend who was still using 1.2 and 1.4 is out now! He had been running useless scans all this time!

Collapse -
Microsoft Anti-Spy Beta
by fdieppa / June 3, 2005 12:47 AM PDT

I want to trust this software because it comes from Microsoft. But, the two times I have installed it, I have had to remove it within a couple of weeks. The reason has been that my computer slowed down to almost a total stop. And, that I kept seeing the detection report with 20 or more events detected, and none repaired, deleted or quarentined. When I looked at the final list 99% of them were still there as undeletable. As I mentioned the computer slowed down to almost a full stop. It was taking forever to boot up and the same when shutting down. So, I uninstulled the MS Antispy Beta, and VIOLA!, it regained normal speed. Conclusion, it must have been the software. By the way, most of the Adware it found was undeletable even by hand. Until I found out that a few seconds after startup those files were burnerable to deletion. So, I booted up, went directly to the folders that had those files and erased the whole folder. It worked. If I let the machine finish the boot up process, the folder immediately became protected from deletion. Hope this helps others as well.

Collapse -
MS AntiSpyware NoWare
by rsworld / June 9, 2005 10:43 PM PDT

Maybe it's my installation, but...I have installed MS Antispyware and keep it updated and have run it for about a month and it has never once detected anything.
I also run Spybot and Ad-Aware. I don't run any of them in the background. If I run MS first it finds nothing. If if then immediately follow it with Spybot and Ad-Aware, both always find something. Ad-Aware usually finds offenders at a rate of 3 to 1 with Spybot no matter which one I run first. Back to MS AntiSpy. It comes up zeros when run.

Collapse -
No Luck with MS AntiSpyware(Beta)
by kemo_sabe / June 9, 2005 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: MS AntiSpyware NoWare

I run three anti-spyware utilities in the following order: MS AntiSpyware(Beta), AD-Aware SE, and Webroot's Spy Sweeper. After a month's processing, the MS AntiSpyware as yet to detect any spyware software, etc. However, Ad-Aware SE and Spy Sweeper both effectively detects and removes adware and spyware software.

Collapse -
Microsoft Anti-Spy Beta
by tdoll1952 / June 9, 2005 10:51 PM PDT

I love it also! Works well.

Collapse -
Impossible to uninstall
by rona_ / June 9, 2005 11:13 PM PDT

Never found a thing on my computer, whereas adaware and spybot did. I tried to uninstall it and ran into so many problems, I had to reformat:( Would not touch it again with a ten foot pole.:)

Collapse -
MS AntiSpyware
by clark20111 / June 9, 2005 11:34 PM PDT

Leave it to Microsoft to create a behemoth of a so-called "operating system" that is so poorly constructed, entrepreneurs like SpyBot and Ad-Aware have to come up with tools to keep Windows from collapsing under the weight of the millions of parasitic programs that infest it. Now that SpyBot and Ad-Aware are doing a great job (I use both of them and have for years -- along with ZoneAlarm), MS wants to jump on the bandwagon and develop a similar program which I'm sure they plan to use to drive SpyBot and Ad-Aware out of business, so then can then SELL the MS AntiSpyware to a captive audience. Microsoft is the DARK SIDE, stay away from them.

Collapse -
Reply to MSASB which I misplaced at first
by JakeChance / June 9, 2005 11:30 PM PDT

First of all to give you a basic idea of what I'm running, I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 which has 512 Mb of RAM and a 1.6 GHz Pentium M.

Previously I had only used Ad-Aware's free scanner with SpyBot S&D. Neither ran by itself or was doing real time protection (I think you have to buy Ad-Aware for that, and I didn't want SpyBot running). The only program I have and had running on my system constantly is Norton AntiVirus 2003 that I sometimes forget to update for a month. I also use primarily Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4 with the occasional IE session because some web page is only viewable or fully functional in Internet Explorer. With both web browsers I have it notify me of each time a website wants to set a cookie. I would say 85% of the time I deny the cookie being set so I do not have many cookies on my system. In addition I have the Mozilla plugin "CookieCuller" which I run about once a month or two to get rid of all the cookies I allowed to be set that I don't need. I'm not 100% sure that it is the most recent version however as I don't check for updates often. Anyway back to the spyware now that you know I don't let much into my computer and use a much more secure browser.

I keep Ad-Aware and Spybot very current with their updates but only run a scan when I get new definitions. For a long time neither of them picked up anything on my system and I kept scoring 0 items to remove. Sometimes Ad-Aware would get a cookie it didn't like but that was the extent of it. I immediately got Microsoft AntiSpyware and installed and updated it. On it's initial scan (a full scan, not the quick option) it did not find anything on my system. Now I have it set to monitor my system with all of its options selected as well as that it should check for updates every day at 10PM. I have not noticed any slowdowns in my system performance except those you normally get as your computer gets older and you have more garbage on it.

In conclusion I still have kept Microsoft's program and have it running in the background, as it doesn't impact my system noticeably. Also I figure that this tool going all the time in addition to Ad-Aware (still my first and favorite spyware removal tool) and SpyBot's scans along with common sense computer usage my system should remain either free of spyware or simply have it removed as soon as it gets on.

Finally I have one last thing to add. I believe I read this article on cnet about how there are countless "Anti Spyware" programs but not all of them are trust worthy. I looked over the list and did not recognize a lot of them. I was also relieved but not surprised to see that Ad-Aware and SpyBot were on the trusted programs list along with Giant AntiSpyware (MSASB before it became Microsoft's). Not only did Microsoft get what another website believed to be the best antispyware tool but they are providing it and updates to it for free (at least for now). I believe this in addition with Anti Virus software and updates should be free. I do not like the idea of one company controlling every computing aspect but if Microsoft AntiVirus was ever created I would definitely download it. Microsoft also caries with it its name and reputation which it tries to uphold. I feel that this software is very beneficial to all PC users. The article also mentioned that some well-known companies were funding these spyware and adware companies and some tools let certain products slide by intentionally. I don't think Microsoft would bother funding any of these companies and it definitely would not let any of them through intentionally as the only incentive would be money, which they make plenty of.

Feel free to contact me with further questions.

Collapse -
Microsoft Anti-Spy Beta is defiantle not GIANT anymore
by recjr57 / June 9, 2005 11:49 PM PDT

I purchased a license to Giant right before (literallly the day before) MS bought them. I had the opportuntiy to compare it before and after. The MS version doesn't catch anything near what the current Giant catches so I remnoved it and reinstalled the Giant version and I am happy again. MS needs to get up to speed with whatever it is Giant is doing to make it something I will use.

Collapse -
Microsofts anti anything
by 4jackie40d / June 9, 2005 11:56 PM PDT

Let a few years go by before you use anything microsoft puts out so they can get it fixed ! Its why I did not start using Windows 2000 Pro until this year . . They finally have all the fixes for it on 1 CD ! Not several !
And the person whom said it works great is not a Tech, or even close to one . . Let them fix it first and get rid of the ports and holes the forgot to plug . . And then I block EVERY port so microsoft can't tell what I am running or what version . . And I run Linux Mandrake mostly as it has almost as much Software as Microsoft now
and the games that come with Linux must be over 40 just on the CD's in set up

Collapse -
microsofts spyware
by azehn / June 10, 2005 12:06 AM PDT

this is the best program ever!i was using ad-aware pro and it did not pick up the spyware like microsofts program.wow gates hits a homerun and it's free.i must be dreaming!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.