Laptops forum

General discussion

Metal Body

by jaxyn09 / February 13, 2010 10:24 PM PST

I love the feel and durability of a metal enclosure on a laptop. The problem is I have no idea what laptops actually have a metal body. Since there are no filters on the Cnet laptop search I was wondering if any one could point in the direction of a higher end, metal body, windows running laptop. Something along the lines of a Macbook Pro, but not the Macbook pro and yes I no I could just run boot camp on it but I really don't want to do that.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Metal Body
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Metal Body
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are very few left.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2010 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: Metal Body
Collapse -
Sony Computers
by jaxyn09 / March 22, 2010 10:36 AM PDT

I have looked at the Sony laptops and I really like them, yet on the website it doesn't seem to specify what the computers are made out of. Which computers have a carbon fiber or metal body?

Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2010 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony Computers

It takes some effort to see which have the feature.

Here's another thought. If a maker won't talk to you and answer your question, keep shopping.
Bob

Collapse -
Metal business laptops...
by IgoZoomX2 / March 23, 2010 4:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony Computers

Here are the metal-bodied laptops that I'm familiar with-

DELL (Business)
Vostro 3000-series- Aluminum casing available in Silver, Red or Bronze
Latitude E4200/E4300/E6400/E6500- Magnesium alloy body and lid finished in "Brushed Metal Black"
Precision laptops- Aluminum base and LCD back (lid) featuring Dell Precision "industrial design"

DELL (Consumer)
Adamo 13 & Adamo XPS- all aluminum construction

HP (Business)
EliteBook- Magnesium-aluminum display enclosure and Magnesium alloy chassis (referred to as "HP DuraCase")

HP (Consumer)
HP ENVY 13 & 15- Magnesium alloy casing with HP Metal Etching technology
Pavilion dm3t and dm3z- "Modern Argento" brushed aluminum chassis

MSI also has some higher-end (over $1k) models with aluminum bodies.

As for carbon-fiber, a lot of Lenovo ThinkPad models have magnesium alloy chassis (Roll Cage, they call it) covered in Carbon-fiber reinforced plastic. Glamorous, no...but I think they can survive a direct nuclear hit! =)

Collapse -
thank you for the introduction of metal casing notebooks.
by kalin333 / January 16, 2012 10:44 AM PST

thank you for the introduction of metal casing notebooks.
the information is really helpful.

sincerely, kalin

Collapse -
Names of metal body laptop:
by nitikasnv / February 14, 2010 9:22 PM PST

Hi,

Hp Mini 2140 Laptop and Hp Mini 2140 Laptop i know these two.

Thanks

Collapse -
HP Mini 2140 is discontinued....
by IgoZoomX2 / March 24, 2010 5:31 AM PDT

The HP Mini 2140 was the best looking netbook by a mile because of the awesome aluminum design! It was introduced in January 2009 and in June of the same year, they replaced it with the HP Mini 5101. The 5101 kept the aluminum design, but it was painted black instead of keeping the natural metallic silver look.

The 2140 still has a large second hand market, especially ones with the optional 1366x768 display. HP was crazy not to keep the 2140's design/look....

Collapse -
Look up Durabook which are built like
by orlbuckeye / March 24, 2010 2:41 AM PDT

toughbooks but way cheaper. Living in Orlando all ove our mobile public safety and code enforcement people use toughbooks.

Collapse -
Laptop search
by phynx88 / March 25, 2010 11:48 AM PDT

I have a similar dilemma. I'm a bit picky about buying my laptop and am about to buy a new one, but I'm finding it difficult to find a laptop with all my specifications. I'm almost tempted to just build one from scratch.

If anyone knows a laptop that meets these criteria it would be a big help.

- Metal body
(I need a durable laptop, my current Satellite Pro is falling apart - literally)

- Lightweight, my upper limit is 5.5 lbs
(I carry it around everywhere, and will be traveling quite a bit, my current messenger bag is tearing at the seams from the weight)

- 4 GB RAM & at least 2.1 GHZ processor
(I do a lot of work in Photoshop, and plan on doing some gaming when Starcraft II is released and I want a laptop that can handle that)

Those are my 3 musts for a laptop right now, price is only minimally an issue, I'd be willing to go up to 1,300, though under 1,000 would be ideal.

Other things I'd like but aren't necessarily required if they meet my other criteria.

-Webcam
-2 Button touchpad (I'm just so used to mine)
-Speaker/headphone jack on one of the sides (my current one is in front, right under the touchpad and it drives me NUTS when I'm lying down)
-Backlit keyboard
-14'' screen (size isn't as important as portability to me though)
-Decent battery life (I have it plugged in a good portion of the time anyway, but hey, why not?)

That's about it. Obviously I want wireless capabilities, an optical drive, USB ports, decent graphics card, etc. but I feel like those are a given.

Collapse -
Here's a perfect fit...
by IgoZoomX2 / March 25, 2010 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop search

I think Dell's new Vostro 3000-series may be just what you're looking for...

They feature a full aluminum case that's super-strong and also looks fantastic! They are available in three color choices- Aberdeen Silver is standard or for an extra $40, you can choose either Lucerne Red or Brisbane Bronze.

Other features intended to maximize longevity and durabilty include a sealed, spill-resistant keyboard on all models! All hard drives include Free-Fall Sensors and StrikeZone protection to protect the hard drive from damage and keep your data safe if the system takes a fall or any sort of potentially-damaging jolt.

There are four different models in the 3000-series- 3300 (13.3"), 3400 (14.0"). 3500 (15.6") and 3700 (17.3"). The 3400 sounds like the best fit for your needs, so it's the one I'll discuss from this point on....

The Vostro 3400 weights in at 4.76lbs with the 6-cell battery. The dimensions are 13.35" wide, 9.54" deep and 0.86-1.16" thick, which is thinner than most similar systems.

The following configuration only costs $928 from Dell's business division-

2.26GHz Intel Core i5-430M processor (Intel TurboBoost up to 2.53GHz)
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
14.0" HD (1366x768) LED Anti-Glare Display
4GB DDR3-1066 RAM
320GB 7200rpm hard drive
512mb NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics
DVD-RW
Wireless b/g/n & Bluetooth 2.1 capability
Fingerprint Reader with DigitalPersona security software
2.0mp Webcam w/ Video Chat software
6-cell Battery
Gesture-enabled, two-button touchpad
Aberdeen Silver Aluminum Case and LCD back
1-year Limited Warranty with Next Business Day On-site Service

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bqpk343a&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

The top-of-the-line configuration for $1058 adds or upgrades several features:
2.4GHz Intel Core i5-520M (Intel TurboBoost up to 2.93GHz)
Backlit Keyboard
500GB 7200rpm hard drive

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bqpk345a&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Here's the Vostro 3400's main page- http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/vostro-3400/pd.aspx?refid=vostro-3400&s=bsd&cs=04

It has everything on yoru list except for the location of the audio ports- they are located on the front edge offset about an inch to the right of the touchpad. I actually prefer to have plug the my headphones into the front rather then the side, although everyone has their own preferences. I currently have a Dell Latitude E6400 and the audio port is located far back on the right side near the back corner. It's hard to see when you're trying to hit the plug and the headphone cord is always in the way of the optical drive if you need to open it!

The only thing on the front side of mine is the media card reader...I wish the audio port was up front....and I wish it had one of the old-school thumbwheels to control volume, which Toshiba still uses on some models to this day! =)

Collapse -
oh wow!
by phynx88 / March 26, 2010 3:23 AM PDT

Yeah wow I'm glad I posted here! I've been looking for almost a week now and somehow I missed this model. My toshiba has that thumb wheel for volume which is quite handy. My issue with the speaker/headphone jack being in the front is that I like lying down with my laptop resting on my chest -- my current Satellite Pro has developed issues with its speaker jack. My assumption is that it's from the pressure put on that spot from lying down with it. Guess my next solution is wait for wireless speakers to come down in price. Thanks for the help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.