Storage forum

General discussion

merge C:\ partition with 7.8 mb of free unallocated space

by presentglory / March 21, 2005 6:07 AM PST

I want to merge C:\ partition with 7.8 of free unallcated space all on Disk 0. I am using Partition Magic but everytime I get to the apply change, I get a error message. Please help. Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: merge C:\ partition with 7.8 mb of free unallocated space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: merge C:\ partition with 7.8 mb of free unallocated space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And the error message is?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2005 6:15 AM PST

Don't mind me if I ask for that last bit of information...

Collapse -
Reply to R. Proffitt
by presentglory / March 21, 2005 6:53 AM PST

Error #38

Program is running from that partition. Either run from a floppy disk or another partition.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And have you done this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2005 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: Reply to R. Proffitt
Collapse -
Why merge it?
by dagger906 / March 21, 2005 10:36 AM PST

Whe the older versions of windows format the drive as FAT while installing, they always leave 7.8 MB of unpartitioned space. I have no idea why it was done, but I always leave it. Maybe it's necessary, maybe it isn't. 7.8MB is just so little space, doesn't make a difference anyway.

Collapse -
I hope they typo'd. Imagine..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2005 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: Why merge it?

Imagine buying partition magic just to reclaim 7.8MB?

Collapse -
Here's how I have dealt with this
by Steven Haninger / March 21, 2005 8:21 PM PST

and for no more cost. I have noticed that both XP and Win2K do not partition the entire drive. Perhaps the space has a purpose but I've never found it. I do not use Partition Magic but another utility developed by the same company (PowerQuest) called Drive Image. During an installation I capture my progress at intervals by creating images of the entire drive. At some point I just restore the entire image and resize the partition to use the space I desire. I have found imaging/ghosting utilities to be more useful than ones that must manipulate partitions.

Collapse -
Acronis explanation of the 7.8MB unallocated space
by groucho7 / March 18, 2011 1:21 AM PDT

The makers of Acronis Disk Director Suite have this to say about this issue:

There are two situations in which partitioning software (e.g. Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0, Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0, Acronis Disk Director Lite) can detect an area of unallocated space of up to 7.8 MB in size that was not created there manually:

1. Up to 7.8 MB (minimum of 1MB) of unallocated space resides at the end of the hard disk. This area is reserved by Windows operating systems for the purpose of creation of Dynamic Disk structures. This unallocated space area is not shown in Windows Disk Management; however Acronis Disk Director is able to merge it with an adjacent partition. Therefore, after doing that there can be problems with creating Dynamic Disk structures.

2. Exactly 7.8 MB of unallocated space reside at the beginning of the hard disk. Normally this means that there are no Primary partitions on the hard drive and the hard drive contains an Extended partition only. In such cases Windows reserves the minimal amount needed for creating a partition (7.8 MB) in order to be able to handle the only Extended partition properly. It is not recommended to remove this area. Even though technically it is possible to merge it with the Extended partition, this may result in the data on it becoming inaccessible.

More information

It is not recommended to remove the 7.8 MB space area.

Collapse -
by Lanqu / March 19, 2011 7:37 PM PDT

Stop the attempts to remove that unallocated space. It is required by the system or you will loss the data.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.