PC Hardware

General discussion

Memory modules - any order?

by bill999 / August 13, 2004 9:53 PM PDT

Have two strips of 128. If I buy a third of 256 do I have to arrange them so the biggest is in the first slot?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memory modules - any order?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memory modules - any order?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Memory modules - any order?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2004 9:56 PM PDT

This is determined by the machine in question. Most machines don't have such a requirement.

Bob

Collapse -
by bill999 / August 13, 2004 10:01 PM PDT

BTW, this is a newly installed MB by PC Chips with an AMD K7 processor. RAM is DDR333 PC2700 if that means anything. Old WinME still in place.

Collapse -
by bob b / August 14, 2004 4:44 AM PDT

If it was me I would browse through the mobo manual and see if there was a ref to such an issue.

If not, I would install the new stick in the next available slot and test.

Collapse -
by Willy / August 14, 2004 5:37 AM PDT

It's a "good rule of thumb" to place largest ram first, but that's not absolute. Alot depends on the ram mapping as the mtrbd. maker usually provides in how ram can be installed. Check the manual, usually this is provided at thier support website for that model mtrbd. or actual manual or on driver/info CD provided.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by lopodias / August 19, 2004 8:32 PM PDT

I don't know for shure, but you can bet that first the 256Mb than the other 2.

Collapse -
Re: Memory modules - any order? LATENCY, SPEED, COMMON SENSE
by thomasxstewart / August 19, 2004 11:36 PM PDT

IT WILL RUN IN ANY ORDER, HOWEVER, ARE THEY ALL SAME MANUFACTURE & QUALITY? LOWER LATENCY MAY BE BEST FIRST. MB SIZE ISN'T THAT IMPORTANT AS EACH MEMORY ROW IS ACCESSED INDIVIDUALLY. IF IT SEEMS TO RUN WORSE, TRY JUST 256 MB STICK ALONE, TRY VARIOUS COMBOS. IT SHOULDN'T HAVE PRECEPTIABLE EFFECT. HECK CALL MAIN & MEM MANUFACTURERS IF YOU WANT MORE OPINIONS. WHY NOT MOST EXPENSIVE FIRST? WEAR LATEX GLOVES WHEN HANDLING MEMORY, -=NEVER=- TOUCH STICK WITH BARE FINGERS OR IT WILL RESONATE POORLY DUE TO SKIN OILS/CONTANIMENTS.SIGNED:PHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

Collapse -
by gclifton / August 20, 2004 2:42 AM PDT

When I first start in computers, in '83, I was always told that you put the fastest memory first (this is just a carryover from earlier times when you bought memory in nanosecond speeds - 100, 90, 80, etc. nanoseconds).

Next I was always taught that you should put the largest stick first, etc. Reasoning being that what you're doing might require over 250mb and if you put 2 128s first then the "overflow" carries over to the 2nd stick, instead of just the 256 if it was put in the 1st slot. Pretty simple explanation, of a complexe issue, but it'll get the job done.

Collapse -
by Jump / August 20, 2004 3:43 PM PDT

Should not make any difference. Ensure that the computer is reading the memory. During boot up you should see, at the top of your screen, the memory being tested or at least displayed as total memory.
You can also check total memory installed after boot through System Properties.

Collapse -
by tsranch / October 8, 2004 11:58 AM PDT

Just make sure that all sticks are DDR333 PC2700, or that the faster stick is backwards compatible. FSB is a issue here. And it's a rule of thumb to install the larger stick in slot-1.

Collapse -
by memory-xpert / October 18, 2004 10:55 AM PDT

Unless specified by the motherboard manufacturer, Install chips from the smallest size to the largest size. Picture it this way, would you rathaer place a waterhose with a 2" output into another hose with a 1" output or the other way around? If the larger module is installed first and then you have to begin using the smaller ones then the larger one has to unload its supply into smaller "waterhoses" It's best to do it the other way.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.