PC Hardware forum

Memory for ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

by jtplenge / December 23, 2012 7:26 AM PST

Hello Everyone,

I'm considering using an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 motherboard in a new build and would like to install 16 GB of memory using 2 8GB memory modules, which would allow me to later expand to 32 GB if desired. I've looked at the ASUS Qualified Vendor List for this board and the only 8 GB module listed costs 163.00 which is out of the question. I've seen a Corsair 16 GB kit on Newegg.com (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10) which costs about $77.00. Is there a way to verify whether this memory is compatible with the ASUS motherboard? If not, can someone suggest an 8 GB memory module that is known to be compatible and less expensive than the one on the ASUS QVL list?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memory for ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memory for ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Odd choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 7:40 AM PST

If you follow the usual sites like tomshardware and more, this amount of ram is usually what we push into a database server. Gamers sometimes go for that or more ram hoping for another frame per second, but why do this given the results so far? Yeah, I know, bragging rights do matter.

All Answers

Collapse -
by VAPCMD / December 23, 2012 8:19 AM PST

What's the intended use of the PC ? Really need/want 32GBs RAM ? If yes...best to get it upfront otherwise it may be hard to match as time goes on.

Re QVL.....there's lots of places to look but doubt you'll find a lot of the newest RAM (using the 8GB modules) listed for an older MBs like the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3. Places I'd look....RAM resellers like Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin, etc; the ASUS forums for users with that same MB, Newegg.com for buyer remarks on those who bought that ASUS MB and who specify their system components, etc., etc., etc.,

Here's one link but note the pricing.....the higher-speed, lower-wait state RAM in the 8GB modules is expensive as you should expect.

BTW ....why use slower RAM running as CAS 10 ? Aren't you looking to make it run fast ?

Collapse -
Short answer......no
by bob b / December 23, 2012 8:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks Everyone
by jtplenge / December 23, 2012 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: Short answer......no

Hi folks,

Thanks for the quick replies. To clarify - one of my hobbies is astronomical photography. This involves taking a large number (maybe 100 or so) of pictures of an astronomical object - a nebula, other galaxy, etc. These pictures are then processed and combined together using specialized image-processing software yielding a resulting picture which contains much more detail than in the individual exposures. During this process, a large number of temporary files is created. My goal is to create a large RAM disk and create the temporary files on the RAM disk instead of the hard drive, then store the final result on the hard drive. By doing this, I expect to dramatically speed up the process since I will avoid the delays caused by hard drive access.

I'm not a gamer, so I don't need the latest, greatest fastest memory, etc available, just about anything will be an improvement over placing my temporary files on the hard drive as I'm doing now.

I have found some memory on Newegg.com which is on the QVL, but it is 4 4-GB modules. I suspect 16 GB will be more than enough for what I'm after, but was wanting to have room to expand if necessary. The 4 GB modules are only 88.00 for 4, so that may be the way I go.

Thanks again,

Collapse -
Ok...let us know how it turns out.
by VAPCMD / December 23, 2012 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Everyone

What RAMDISK SW will you be using ?

Collapse -
by jtplenge / December 23, 2012 11:35 AM PST

Don't know about the ramdisk SW yet. I need to look into that.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.