Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Memory Dump Blue Screen

by codefusion / November 3, 2010 4:01 PM PDT

I recently just finished building my desktop a month ago and I've installed fully all driver updates on everything. I even updated everything for windows. The problem is every time I turn on my computer 5 minutes later, I get a memory dump blue screen. Not to mention, I keep having to update the two same updates from microsoft over 10 times. I install it once, windows update tells me it installs successfully, then 5 minutes later I have to somehow install the same exact update again.

the updates are named "security update for windows 7 (KB977165)" and "security update for windows 7 (KB981852)."

I'm not sure if there's a connection between the two or not, but I would assume so as I keep getting blue screens. My only solution to these blue screens is to immediately shutdown my computer once it boots up, then turn it back on and everything's fine. Is there anyway to fix the blue screen and the update problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memory Dump Blue Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memory Dump Blue Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
keep the issues separate.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2010 1:59 AM PDT

Blue screen issues are ones you work on with the machine's makers most of the time.

The KB issues are ones you can either ignore for awhile as Microsoft sorts them out (some think these things are perfected) or type KB977165 WON'T INSTALL on to see how others dealt with it. Hint: I did that and have little to add to the open discussions and solutions.

Collapse -
but my computer...
by codefusion / November 4, 2010 2:42 AM PDT

But I built my computer from the ground up, I don't understand what your blue screen solution means. I'm still getting them regardless and I'm starting to have no certain idea of why I am getting memory dump blue screens.

Collapse -
More on the blue screen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2010 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: but my computer...

If you built it, you get to fix it. That sounds terrible but GIVE OTHERS THE CHANCE TO HELP.

-> Read your post and see if you supplied the details about this machine. I read your post again and found little about the machine.

Collapse -
my machine
by codefusion / November 4, 2010 1:08 PM PDT

like I said previously, I didn't understand what you meant, I wasn't denying your help.

anyway, my specs are

Case Raidmax Tornado Mid Tower
Power Supply Coolmax 600W Silent 140mm Power Supply
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H
CD Drive Asus 24x SATA DRW-24B1ST
Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA
RAM Patriot 2x2GB DDR3 RAM
CPU AMD Anthlon II X4 635
CPU Cooler Fan Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI-E
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit

Collapse -
Did you swap out the motherboard?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2010 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: my machine
Collapse -
i checked
by codefusion / November 5, 2010 10:16 AM PDT

the hardware fully functions. I went to get my computer fixed and everything was working in place. for the most part I don't believe it's a hardware failure. Are there any other possible problems for why this is happening?

Collapse -
Then one has to wait until.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2010 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: i checked

Then one has to wait till you believe it's a hardware issue. I don't see BSODs and lockups on new gear unless there is a hardware issue. This is why making your own gear is a learning experience.

I'm still finding folk that can't accept there can be a bad board in their machine. We get to wait until they cart it from shop to shop and burn up a lot of time and sometimes money.

Collapse -
by codefusion / November 7, 2010 10:30 AM PST

assuming my board isn't the one that's wrong, could it be possibly other hardware? if my last resort is to replace a part, i don't want to replace the wrong part.

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2010 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: assuming..

Here's the rub. The makers are not supplying diagnostics to help you find the part that's causing the issue. This is where you RMA parts one by one until you find it.

And more.

1. If you didn't use approved RAM, why not?
2. If you didn't use approved RAM did you check the BIOS settings versus the RAM's specifications? I find most are daunted by this. This is why I suggest only using approved RAM if you can't take a chance.
3. If you selected all the parts, then suppliers can ping you for making choices that don't work together. (see items 1 and 2.)
4. Again, a clean install of Windows when it BSODs has me checking hardware and hardware settings.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.