Storage forum

General discussion

Memory Card Reader "Please insert a disk into drive F"

by Chaserdman22 / April 5, 2009 3:52 PM PDT

I am trying to transfer some pics/vids from my sony cybershot camera onto my Dell Studio laptop (vista). When I plug in the memory card reader it installs as drive F, but when I click it, I get the "Please insert a disk into drive F" message. Obviously the memory card is in the reader so I have no clue why it isn't being read. The card works fine in the camera, I can view the pics and vids I am trying to transfer. I have also tried plugging the reader and card into two desktops, a Dell running Vista and an HP running XP. Oh and the reader also shows that the memory card has been inserted by lighting up green, so I don't know that it is the reader's problem (I don't really know what the problem is, that's why I'm here). The reader is a Dynex DX-CR501.
Of all the problems I have had with computers or electronics this is by far the most frustrating! I seriously want to punt a cat that's how frustrated I am.
Any help is greatly appreciated...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memory Card Reader "Please insert a disk into drive F"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memory Card Reader "Please insert a disk into drive F"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I read the spec.; 6 types of card in a single slot?
by ahtoi / April 6, 2009 1:43 AM PDT

Wow..that sounds great but 6 in a slot? That seems to me it has to be a very precise device for perfect alignments. Does it seem to seated well?

Collapse -
I don't think that is the issue
by Chaserdman22 / April 6, 2009 3:04 AM PDT

Not really, I mean, I do have to use tweasers in order to get the card out of the reader (I think that's what you mean); but it has worked before so I don't think that is the reason it isn't working.

Collapse -
Sony card(s) readers
by Phil Crase / April 7, 2009 1:36 AM PDT

For the Sony cards you need to get and adaptor (card slides into it) Then you put card into the reader, otherwise you can have problems, that is a SONY thing.

Collapse -
Not A Sony
by Chaserdman22 / April 7, 2009 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony card(s) readers

The card isn't a sony as far as I know, but I know what yu mean I am going to try to get an adapter for it, thanks.

Collapse -
Ditto
by d.yuile / April 15, 2009 10:28 PM PDT

Same problem here with Sandisk 4GB HDSC card (I have 2 other identical cards that still work so it is definately a problem either with the physical card hardware failing or a virus in the root of the card - which there is no apparent way of clearing as the disk is only accessable for the initial 3-4 secs of being read on insertion to the reader (still managed to salvage a few of my smaller files by quick copy and paste (drag&drop) to the desktop. However large *.pst files are apparently lost. I intend to return the card to Sandisk with an explanitory note (their support line simply advised me to invest in a recovery tool - that can't work because the drive only exists for those few seconds - and I think that as there is a possibility that the fault is a physical defect they should at least attempt to fix/recover the data. Sage advice to back up these things regularly - my last was early Feb and between that and the recovery of those smaller files it is not a complete disaster this time - but still loss of e-mails may matter later on.

Let me know if you have managed to resolve and I'll post the outcome of my efforts later.

PS - on one forum a suggestion to read the card on a linux system as most virus are designed to interfere with windows - that might hold water with your "The card works fine in the camera" statement.

Regards

Collapse -
Fixed
by Chaserdman22 / April 16, 2009 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Ditto

Turns out my problem was resolvable simply by getting a new card reader. I agree though backing up is a necessity now considering companies who make memory storage use that as an excuse for their products to fail and not have any responsibility (I had to spend $250 to have Best Buy recover files off of a external HD.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.