Cameras forum

General discussion

"Memory Card Full" and "No Image"

by Longblades / March 10, 2008 10:49 AM PDT

Canon S3 IS, Kingston 2GB SD card. Memory card is full but no images can be viewed on camera. Images cannot be found to download and cannot be viewed on the computer. One date recovery program was unsuccessful. If the card cannot be read throught the PC cardreader then should it be left in the camera for the next recovery program I try? Windows XP. HP Athlon 64 X2 dual core 3800. Of course I know I can try to format the card but would like to try to recover those once in a lifetime photos first. Another memory card works fine in the camera so it's not the camera. Also works in the PC cardreader.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Memory Card Full" and "No Image"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Memory Card Full" and "No Image"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Memory Card Full" and "No Image"
by taboma / March 13, 2008 3:36 PM PDT

Longblades,
Use a program called Image Recall. Go to Amazon and purchase it.
It works all the time. Has worked for me.

Do NOT reformat the card. Take the card out of your camera. Put the card into a card reader and use the software.
Imagerecall.com will do the work for you and charge you a fee if you want to send them your card also.

PC Mag,: Photo Recovery Software
Recover Lost Digital Images
#1 Rated ImageRecall recovers lost photos from memory cards, USB drives, and other removable media. The only photo recovery program to win 2 PC Magazine Editors' Choice awards. Works with any manufacturer's memory card. Available in PC and Mac versions. Special offer! Buy ImageRecall now and get an Instant $9.99 Rebate. Was $39.95 , now pay only $29.96 AND receive a free upgrade to ImageRecall 4 Don't Panic - Photo Edition version coming April 2008!

Hope this helps you.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Thanks
by Longblades / March 14, 2008 12:11 AM PDT

Thanks. Have since tried BadCopy Pro with results but the program does not allow to view anything over 10 mb and much was video clips. Don't have to buy the program unless I want to save the recovered files but at this point am not sure there are enough files worth the purchase price of the program, about $30 US, I think.

I can send the card back to Kingston and they will try for me for free, even free shipping. But I'd like to try myself first. Will give your suggestions a look-see.

I know not to format the card.

Collapse -
Memory Card Full and No Image
by purefairydust / March 14, 2008 5:49 AM PDT

You probably shot the photos in raw image form and your image uploader does not except raw. There are a lot of free image converters. Since most computers are picture bridge, people just connect the camera and forget to upload the software that came with the camera which has a program on it for uploading raw.

If you lost the software that came with your camera you can usually find it on the camera manufacturers page. Or you can upload one of the free image converters that does raw. Also you might need to upload a raw viewer for my pictures, it is a free add on also.

Happy photographing!

Collapse -
No, Not in Raw
by Longblades / March 14, 2008 6:28 AM PDT

My camera does not support raw. Only jpeg and the movie files are avi. Have since found a couple of downloadable programs that have retrieved some jpegs but none of the avi. I have tried three of these and they all retrieve the same jpegs so I am thinking that is as good as it gets. A friend who works in film media is going to do some asking around for me and in the meantime I do have an old 512 MB card I can use.

Collapse -
No, Not in Raw
by taboma / March 14, 2008 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: No, Not in Raw

Longblades,
When you use your old 512MB card in your camera, reformat the card.
That may be your original problem from day one. You never reformatted your new card.
Always reformat a card even when brand new. Go to your manual and look up reformatting. Follow the directions.
Very simple and very fast.

Joe Randolph and others here on Digital Camera have more experience on why to reformat a memory card to help you.

Hope this helps you. Good luck.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Yes, thanks, I did format the new 2GB card before I used it.
by Longblades / March 15, 2008 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: No, Not in Raw

Yes, thanks, I did format the new 2GB card before I used it. Deliberately filled it with unimportant stuff to make sure the whole card was good too, before using on shots I wanted to keep. I also did not remove it from the camera, change the batteries or turn it off while the card was still being written either. Cards can just fail, apparently. Have since tried Seagate rescue, which Staples use in my town, and was able to retrieve 18 AVI files but upon previewing they all turned out to be the same movie clip. Different file sizes and all. Going to call Seagate about that. Have also reformatted the old 512 card as well.

Collapse -
Memory Card Full and No Image
by taboma / March 14, 2008 2:06 PM PDT

purefairydust, I love your sign-in!!!
Just a great handle!!! :

Collapse -
YEE HAAA! Success
by Longblades / March 15, 2008 1:41 AM PDT
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?forumID=58&threadID=287265&messageID=2729271#2729271

Link is to Zero Assumption Recovery which retrieved all the same photos I was able to get with the other programs. And it is FREEWARE. I was reluctant to spend anywhere from $30 to $130 to save only a few photos but am extremely pleased to see them for free. And, even though the previews did not look encouraging for the avi files I saved them anyway, along with the jpegs, and, lo and behold, they are there too. YIPPEE. The avis are fractured, some, and others are shortened but on the whole very nice since I thought they were lost forever.
Collapse -
Oooops, Put the Wrong Url in my Link.
by Longblades / March 15, 2008 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: YEE HAAA! Success
Collapse -
ZAR
by taboma / March 17, 2008 12:59 PM PDT

Nice program for the PC.
I am on a Mac and will stay with Image Recall for the Mac.
Mine came free with a Buy.com promo for an SD card and a memory stick to boot. Check out thoes promos from Buy.com Some are really worthwhile.

Like I said to you?Any Port In The Storm!

Nice to see that you have your files back.
Lucky?Both of us! Don't you just hate when that happens!
Did you check out how to reformat your memory card?
A must to know. Do it!

-Kevin

Collapse -
YEE HAAA! Success
by taboma / March 15, 2008 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: YEE HAAA! Success
Collapse -
purefairydust
by taboma / March 15, 2008 1:08 PM PDT

Thanks for the email, and hope you are are a regular contributor from now on.
I really do love your handle. So nice. Clever.
And hope you are are a regular contributor from now on.

Our Mod, Joe Randolph (snapshot) is the best!
There are so many knowledgeable people here on this forum that you will feel at home. I do always.

-Kevin

Collapse -
A Message from the Forum Moderator
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 11:37 PM PST

This thread is quite old (started in the year 2008) and it is now attracting people who want to advertise something.
Advertising is not permitted on this Forum.
The advertisements were deleted and I am locking this thread.

Snapshot2

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.