Cameras forum

General discussion

Memory card does not read

by d_mckenzie / September 6, 2010 7:28 AM PDT

I have a Canon Powershot SD780 IS that I have had for 9 months. I can take pictures and video. I can see all the pictures and video on my camera. Unfortunately I can't download the pictures anymore. The memory card is a SanDisk 4GB SDHC. Up until February, I was able to download pictures/videos to my Mac. I have tried different cables, another Mac and a PC. I have tried a card reader and a printer (that reads from the card). Nothing will recognize the card. Do you have any suggestions to help me download my pictures?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memory card does not read
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memory card does not read
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Memory Card SDHC (high capacity)
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 1:03 PM PDT

Unless the two computers and printer are fairly new, the card readers are probably not SDHC - but just SD card readers.

Take your memory card to your local photo printer location and see if they can see the files with their equipment.
If so, have them copy the photos to a CD for you.
WalGreen Pharmacy and WalMart will do this.
They usually only charge a couple of dollars per CD.

You may want to consider buying a SDHC card reader.

Collapse -
It worked before...
by d_mckenzie / September 7, 2010 12:07 AM PDT

I downloaded from this camera to my Apple just after I got the camera. It worked fine then. It is the same memory card. The second Apple I tried was at the Apple store (I thought there was something wrong with my computer, so took it in to have it checked)... I assume they use new computers there! Could the card somehow be damaged? It looks fine to me. It still works in the camera, and I can take new photos and view them on the camera.

Thanks for any help.

Collapse -
Details
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 7, 2010 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: It worked before...

Do you have another SD memory card for that camera?
If so, does it work OK.

On the 4GB SDHC card, did you happen to write anything to the card with the Apple.
If you deleted anything on the card with the Apple, it will write a new File Information Block. That could cause problems.

Did you try reading the card at your local photo printing store?
You need to find out if they can read it.

To be able to recover that SDHC card, you first need to save any photo files you want to keep.
The local photo printing store may be able to copy the files to a CD.

I suggest, in the future do not buy a SDHC card.
With the equipment you have, there are less problems with reading cards if you stay with the SD cards.
A card with 2GB or less capacity is a SD card.

When you get a new SD card, you should Format it with the CAMERA before taking any pictures.

If you are reading the card with a computer, never delete or add any files with the computer.
If you put any photo files on the computer, you should do a COPY.
Do not do a MOVE, because that deletes it from the card.

Collapse -
help
by JennyLecong / April 10, 2012 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Details

On the 4GB SDHC card, did you happen to write anything to the card with the Apple.
If you deleted anything on the card with the Apple, it will write a new File Information Block. That could cause problems.

I did, how can I fix it??

Collapse -
Memory Cards
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 10, 2012 1:47 PM PDT
In reply to: help

If you have more than one FIB (file information block), it is likely that one of them will become corrupt.
It gets over-written by the other FIB.

If your camera refuses to use the card, this usually works:

With your computer and a card reader, delete every file and folder you find on the card.
Then put the card in the camera and it should let you Format the card with the camera.
It should then work OK in the camera.

Collapse -
Memory cards
by JennyLecong / April 10, 2012 4:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Memory Cards

I transferred pix from memory card to macbook air, then deleted all pix on camera with the apple after. SDHC card used to work perfectly fine on my apple, now it still works on my camera but not on my apple. Please help ...

Collapse -
Try again
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 11, 2012 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Memory cards

Now I am not sure what you did.
You said "deleted all pix on camera with the apple after".
I expected to see "using a card reader on the computer, I deleted all files and folders on the memory card".

Not just photos but ....
This time delete ALL files and folders you find on the memory card, using a card reader on the computer.

This has always worked for me on my PC computers.
But you are using an apple computer.
It may do things differently.

Maybe someone familiar with an Apple computer will have some ideas.

Collapse -
Something Else
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 11, 2012 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Try again

I need to know what make/model camera you are using.
Older cameras can not use SDHC cards properly.

Also, older computers can not use SDHC cards properly.
Are you sure that the card reader on your computer is rated for SDHC cards?

Collapse -
Memory cards
by JennyLecong / April 11, 2012 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Try again

im using a macbook air which has a built-in card reader. my macbook air used to be able to read sony sdhc memory card directly. Last week i moved all folders (like, everything) on the memory card to my apple. after that, i could still use my memory card on my camera but my apple cant read it any more.

i have formatted the memory card on the camera already but still cant be read on the apple. please help Sad

Collapse -
We Need Mac Help
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Memory cards

We need someone who understands MAC file handling, I don't

I suggest you post your question on the appropriate MAC Forum:

http://forums.cnet.com/mac-forums/

This time, please tell them the Make and Model Number of the camera involved.
If it is a Sony camera, is the memory card a Memory Stick or a SD memory card?

Collapse -
Please review a prior discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 6:06 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.