Computer Help forum

General discussion

Membership Newsletter feedback

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 23, 2004 4:45 AM PDT

Hi everyone,

We are in the process of revamping our CNET Membership newsletter and I would like involve you during this process.

While the bulk of the newsletter will still surround the Q&A section, here are some of my questions to you:

What forum topics highlights would you like to see more of or less of?

Do you like the Poll discussion that I just added?

How about the Top 10 forum listings I have currently listed, leave or can it?

Would you like me to incorporate links to our latest community features on CNET such as:

Insider Secrets
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10165_7-5465494-1.html

Weekend Project
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10163_7-5506183-1.html

Ask the Editors
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10166_7-5510279-1.html

Tech Nightmares
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10168_7-5511125-1.html

Show Us Yours
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10167_7-5503026-1.html

Overall let me know what you have in mind for the newsletter even if you like it just the way it is currently.

If you have any feedback or suggestions whether positive or negative, please let me hear them. Ultimately this Membership newsletter is dedicated to you as members of our community, so whatever I can learn from you will be helpful.

Thank you in advance for all your feedback and suggestions It is truly appreciated!

Best regards,
-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Membership Newsletter feedback
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Membership Newsletter feedback
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Membership Newsletter feedback
by jdarmstr / September 23, 2004 6:37 PM PDT

I love the Friday Q&A newsletter. I read a fair amount of cnet news and this newsletter is by far the most helpful to me. As a computer engineer and programmer of mostly mainframe OS software for 22 years I have a pretty good idea of what is going on in my PC as well. Still there is always some tidbit to learn from this newsletter. I don't spend too much time in the discussions simply because I don't have much time. But keep it up...its the greatest.

Other things that would be good might be a section on the latest in virus protetion or Windows tips/tricks. Perhaps that is what is in Insider Secrets. I haven't checked that one yet.

Collapse -
by DrGrief / September 23, 2004 7:22 PM PDT

I've come to appreciate the weekly "Help, I'm in trouble, can anyone solve my...problem" articles.

As E-mail would have it, Entire Episodes can disappear into Hyper-Space, along with the answers to some of the presented questions that have struck me as 'yea, I need to know the answer to that too!'

How about a link to archived newsletters of the previous 3-4 weeks!

Thats all! Thank you

Collapse -
Thank you DeGrief, I am going to work on that archived
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 27, 2004 3:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
by teadams / September 23, 2004 7:37 PM PDT

Please have somebody check your email list and remove duplicates! I like your newsletters but don't need 2 copies!

Thanks
Tim Adams
teadams2003@earthlink.net

Collapse -
Tim I took care of that for you.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 27, 2004 3:36 AM PDT

You should only be receiving one Membership Newsletter from now on.

-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Collapse -
by roddy32 / September 23, 2004 9:52 PM PDT

I get many of your newsletters and the Friday Q&A one is also my favorite. I've learned a lot about computers since I retired just from your newletters and the hours that I spend everyday reading the forums and posting occasionally if I feel I have an answer for someone's questiion. Keep up the good work.

Collapse -
Thank you! The whole purpose of the Membership Newsletter
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 27, 2004 3:58 AM PDT

is to bring our community of members closer together--to experience, to learn, and to help one another out with their technical difficulties.

Our members' contribution to the Q&As each week and community forums is what makes it all happen. Without the people, the community would be non-existant.

Thank you all!
-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Collapse -
by pmilligan / October 3, 2004 11:33 AM PDT

I like the newsletter, but I would like to get rid of the two column format. It's a pain to have to scroll up and down to read it, even if it looks nice.

Collapse -
by reptar / September 23, 2004 9:54 PM PDT

Perhaps people would be interested in what's involved in setting up a dual-boot system to experiment with Linux. I have a co-worker who can do the upgrade for me, but not everyone is comfortable poking around inside their PC.

Collapse -
That could be a possible topic in the future.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 27, 2004 3:40 AM PDT

If you have any question in regards to Linux or dual-boot system using Linux, swing by the Linux forum. It's a small, but a tight knit group of members who hang out there to discuss Linux. Hopefully you can get some of your question answered there.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5204-6617-0.html?forumID=11&start=0&tag=cnr

Thanks,
-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Collapse -
by 707av8or / September 23, 2004 9:57 PM PDT

I am an exclusively MAC user. Your newsletter does a very POOR job of differentiating topics of interest to platform (Mac, Windows PC, etc.) As a result, most of your emails go directly to the trash as I don't have time to research each to see if it applies to the Mac platform.

Suggest you separate the Newsletter as to whether Mac or PC and allow your subscribers to select which paltform they have interest in. Some may have interest in BOTH and should be able to select an integrated newsletter edition that covers both. Otherwise, they can just receive the info of interest.

If this is impractical, then as an alternate, I suggest you place an icon (designating either MAC, PC, or Both) at the beginning of each section and or subsection to differentiate the applicability of the topic to which platform.

This change should subxtantially increase your interest level and subscriber base.

Collapse -
Have you checked out the Mac nugget section of
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 29, 2004 11:45 AM PDT

the Membership newsletter each week?

While I do understand your concern over the topics, I would have to admit that majority of our readership and participants are Windows based users.

However, I will do my best to address a broad audience since our members use a variety of platforms.

If you haven't noticed already, a couple of weeks back I did create a section called the Mac nugget in the newsletter--in hopes that the members like you who are Mac ethusiasts would use our 3 Mac forum more frequently, so that I can bring more interesting Mac topics to the newsletter. Because ultimately, if there's no action going on in the Mac forums, there really no news to broadcast.

Best regards,
-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Collapse -
by juan11385 / September 23, 2004 10:31 PM PDT

The newsletter looks great. I like the video feature that has been added. I would like to see the video feature used on the courses that you offer. It would be a great to a lot of us. For example the Adobe Photoshop course. I also want to commend you on the Q&A newsletter. They have been very helpful.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you Juan!
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 29, 2004 11:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
by solidcustomer / September 24, 2004 1:04 AM PDT

I suggest you incorporate a form of your CNET class based on input from readers into the regular letter. This is, before you select the subject for a class you do a survey for readers to select among several subjects suggested by you, plus an open suggestion input space. Then once you are ready, start publishing lessons on that subject for that majority that was interested in it. You continue with the program in a cycle mode, survey ? class lessons, with surveys done with sufficient anticipation to put the class together.
This would be separate from your regular classes. Your regular classes could continue on whatever subject you select.

On the letter as it comes now its pretty good. I would like to see it easier to read in terms of extracting the information by reading it in a bullet type format, like on a presentation slide ? with further information following a dash for those that want to go deeper into understanding an input or response on a subject.
Example: On the how to question:

In summary the input we receive suggests you:

Collapse -
by medicman615 / September 24, 2004 3:18 AM PDT

Bottom line up front: I think the newsletter is one of the most valuable assets of CNET membership, and you've done a great job with it. My favorite part of the newsletter, after the main topic of answering the weekly question, is "Community Buzz". If that could somehow be expanded I'd certainly appreciate it. A LOT of good information from a broad selection of computer related topics can be found there each week. I'm greedy. Give me more!!!!!

I agree with Seven-O-Seven Aviator. More focus on Mac specific topics with an appropriate method of distinquishing the two would be a wonderful addition. Personally I'm a PC guy, but recently I've been seeing some things that could make me reconsider. Mac topics are either given second-class-citizen status in most forums such as this or completely ignored. Your potential readership gain in this niche is significant, and you could better serve another segment of the population. If "Mac Nugget" and some of the specific forums are designed to deal with this issue, I think it would be more well received to highlight this subject a little more.

The poll addition is good. I wouldn't change a thing there. Your Top Ten Forum listing is a keeper. I like it because I can usually quickly find the subject there for whatever is giving me problems that particular week. Those links to the new community features should stay. Make this newsletter the "one-stop-shopper" place to be!

I'm amazed at the level of technical expertise demonstrated by the other members. I've made HUGE advances in my computer experiences from the information I get here. Thanks a million to all of you out there who take the time to help the rest of us along.

Collapse -
by Mendieta / September 24, 2004 5:18 PM PDT

I think all changes you've done are great & well done, congratulations.

A sugestion: Linux comunity is a fast growing one, why not increase articles, tips, software evaluation, forums, etc., just as you have done with Mac's.

Arq. Jose Ignacio Mendieta Vera.

Collapse -
I will gives this some serious thought
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 29, 2004 11:47 AM PDT

I may just create a Linux section in the newsletter.

thanks for the feedback.

-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Collapse -
by djysrv / September 27, 2004 12:43 AM PDT

I'd like a "product guide" to CNET. I'm overwhelmed by the many types of information CNET offers. I see a lot of valuable stuff. How do I know I'm not missing something?

Collapse -
Have you signed up for other CNET newsletters
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 29, 2004 11:49 AM PDT

If you don't have the time to browse through CNET Reviews about all the latest and greatest. CNET Newsletter are the best way to keep up to date all the valuable stuff.

Take a look at the selection and chose to your liking.
http://nl.com.com/new.jsp

Best regards,
-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Collapse -
by junglebear1 / October 11, 2004 2:49 PM PDT

Well i would like to see a a addon to the news letter or a forum called maybe Tips And Tricks something that deals with hard ware and only hardware to include internal and external computer hardware and networking hardware especially a section on power supply's and the amount of devices you can run with a certain size power supply and how to add up the wattage of the internal components run by the power supply the reason why i am using that is because i ran into the same problem sometimes system crashes and the infamous blue screen of death can be nothing more than a power supply not being able to deliver the power you need when you are driving the computer hard or running lots of hardware in it sometimes its not the os that is causinfg the problem thank you for all your informative articals George Shiflett junglebear11@msn.com

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 21, 2004 5:16 PM PDT

I just want to re-iterate everything that most other people have said.

I very much enjoy this newsletter, especially the weekly Q&A article. I often learn something that I didn't previously know.

I'm glad you posted the link to the Q&A Archive Newsletter Forum as it is not listed in the forum's main page and it can be useful to refer back to it from time to time.

The newsletter is well designed and easy to read.

Good stuff! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
by taboma. / October 22, 2004 2:21 PM PDT

Whatever you want to do is fine with me. There is a problem still with logging in. Last evining I could not get a link to submit a post that I had tried to submit. Again, there was a link missing: post.

This evening I tried to respond to the email. My sign-in was not correct for some reason and I had to use a temp sign in.
Kevin Smith
jsmith8846@aol.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.