Cameras

General discussion

megxon 8mp camera and info. info pls

by jacobzeairs / September 21, 2004 1:59 PM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: megxon 8mp camera and info. info pls
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: megxon 8mp camera and info. info pls
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: megxon 8mp camera and info. info pls
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 22, 2004 2:08 AM PDT

Interpolated (in their case) means that the camera is 4 meg (megapixel) but it can resize the photo to 6 or 8 meg. You can do the same with any digital photo software.

At best this is misleading advertising.
At worst it is fraud.

This camera appears to be made in Tiwan and will likely be shipped to you from New Zealand.

http://www.megxon.com/index.html

If you buy such a camera, and you have any trouble with the camera, you will likely have no support.

The megxon website does not publish any full size photos, which I would conclude as: picture quality is not good.

The value of this camera - $75 at best.

Collapse -
by jacobzeairs / September 22, 2004 8:01 AM PDT

ok so Interpolated just means it resizes the photo. and its only a 4mp camera.

thanks

Collapse -
by bostonjoe / October 7, 2004 9:52 AM PDT

not true,i bought one of these exact cameras 2 weeks ago,the pictures are beautiful,if you want to see let me know and i will show you one,and its good quality you can tell,the movies are not that good but they have good audio and were good enough for me,i had the same questions but i just bought it ,and it is a very nice camera

Collapse -
Sorry Joe, it is true. It is a 4 megapixel camera.
by Kiddpeat / October 7, 2004 1:56 PM PDT

Here's the specs right off of eBay:

8.0 MP : 3264x2448 via Interpolated
6.0 MP : 2880x2160 via Interpolated
4.0 MP : 2272x1704 / 2.0 MP : 1600x1200

You only get to 6 or 8 MP via interpolation which is worthless. It is interesting that it sold for AU $177.50. I don't know what this is in US currency.

Glad you like your camera.

Collapse -
Still...
by jginies / October 13, 2004 6:35 PM PDT

Still, 4MP is not that bad, and what make this camera interesting is the 8x optical zoom, not many cameras can offer that, not at that price anyway...

Collapse -
Dont buy cheap trash
by eyeronik / July 17, 2005 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Still...

I see so many people buying these cameras on ebay and I wonder about how you can possibly part with so much cash

Collapse -
Interpolating = cheap????
by BeyondMe2 / August 1, 2005 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Dont buy cheap trash

I just sign on to CNET and confirmed my id, etc. This is my first post. Since I do not know anything about Megxon and I won't comment on it. My first and only "cheap" plastic camera was Vivitar model 3695, 2mp (2 Mega pixel), bought it 2~3 year ago for US$100. Small pocket size. At the time, it was about half price of a metal body camera. Made in China, never any problem. It took me a while to get use to it. Reading the manual helped. Photos came out mostly fine, not fantastic. I have seen some fantastic 6mp photos. However, this one is only 2mp. It came with good softwares to correct the poor exposures.

As far as ?interpolating = cheap? goes? I am not sure its exact meaning. I was researching Fuji FinePix S602 3mp digital camera with 6x optical zoom. It uses Interpolating technique to make it 6mp. Is that one of the maker that you worship?

Collapse -
Interpolation
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 2, 2005 12:50 AM PDT

The Fujifilm S602 (introduced in Nov of 2002) does actually have a 6 meg sensor.

It is the 3rd generation of the Fujifilm Super CCD sensor.

It is a unique sensor and they were using it in a unique manner. It did not perform as well as a true 6 meg sensor.

Here is a writeup on their sensor:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=Effective_Pixels

This sensor has been revised a few more times and their 5th generation sensor is being put in their latest cameras. They have abandoned the way it was used in the S602 and the new version has turned out to produce much less noise. This permits ISO settings up to 1600 in small cameras. Such as the new Fujifilm F10.

They just introduced the E900, S5200 and S9000 cameras and they all have the new Super CCD sensor.
The E900 and S9000 has the 9meg version of the sensor.

Sony has been the only source for 7 and 8 megapixel sensors. Perhaps the Fujifilm sensor will prove to be competitive.

Collapse -
Mexon Cameras
by andrewmoquin / July 23, 2007 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Dont buy cheap trash

I have heard just about every kind of knock of these cameras (including yours) from interpolation complaints to "It has a plastic body!" (guess what folks "High Impact Plastic" is just that, It is meant to take stress).
So far I have had little or no problems with the product (oh, note: my first was defective and was replaced QUICKLY by the vendor).
The camera is coming up on a year old, and it works perfectly.
It is tough and versatile.
Yeah, I paid about $150.00 with shipping and I have YET to be disappointed with what it turns out.
Speaking as a person who truthfully knows very little about the technical aspects of photography, it has been easy to use. However it also offers me versatility as my experience increases.

Collapse -
megxon camera s304
by frenchy16d / July 24, 2005 2:14 PM PDT

I bought the 12 megpixel, this is the worst piece of trash. Buying was a waste of money and the loss of pictures that I thought would be priceless turned out to be a big disappointment. I bought on e-bay and the seller would not make good a replacement or refund the money.

Collapse -
PLEASE DON'T BUY THOSE CHEAP JUNK EBAY CAMERAS!!!!
by dlrey1 / October 7, 2005 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: megxon camera s304

I bought one of those 10MP cameras for about $166 and am very embarrassed for not knowing better. It is a cheap piece of junk and takes dreadful photographs. The people that sell those on ebay you will notice NEVER offer you a money back guarantee, and WITHHOLD leaving you feedback until you leave them some. This is the true sign of a scam artist. That is the sellers way of preventing you from leaving them bad feedback and letting others know what junk they are selling. You see, if you leave them bad feedback, then they will leave you bad feedback. It is a flaw in the ebay system. And ebay couldn't care less about protecting the buyers. All they care about is collecting fees from the seller. Sorry, but I am trying to protect you. Don't buy this junk. Buy any Canon, Sony, Nikon, Casio and you'll do much better. And you will have recourse if something goes wrong. OK, I'm done!

Collapse -
agreeing with you
by roving aussie / October 14, 2005 10:12 AM PDT

Ebay will not reprimand any scam artists particularly those that advertise as power sellers etc.Ebay is only interested in their commissions.If it was not so they would have a simpler system so you could get some results from ones complaints.it is set up so that eventually you get sick of not getting to the root of the problem and decide to go away .Lets hope that the yahoo auctions get up and running and are bigger and better.paypal is a pain in the butt as well

Collapse -
Megxon C480
by Clayton Howe / October 14, 2005 9:12 PM PDT

Hi Still:
The Megxon C480 is a piece of junk, stay far away from it. I bought one and was lucky to get a full refund from the distributer.The camera takes good pictures WHEN IT WORKS. But was constantly breaking down. Very hard to set up.The 5 way switch did not always respond to the touch and the enter (center) button, you almost had to stand on it to get it to enter a setting. I purchased finally a Minolta/Konica Z5 , It has a 12X optical zoom and is a true 5.2 Mega Pixels.Works beautiful.Love it.
Clayton

Collapse -
C480 Megxon - Where to go for help?
by Anjalyn / June 11, 2007 8:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Megxon C480

I have also a problem with my C480. I bought it off ebay (yes I know!!) I have a paper that gives the address of APUS INTERNATIONAL, Australia, but I cannot find the link anywhere. The dealer seems to have disappeared too!
It has been working fine for nearly a year(except the battery casing broke off, but can live with that) but now, all of a sudden the zoom will not extend. It just makes a noise and comes up lens error. I am wary of taking it to a shop as it still has a month of, what I would presume, a years warranty left.
Does anyone have any ideas please, would appreciate any help.
Thank you.

Collapse -
Megxon
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 12, 2007 12:39 AM PDT

Here is their website:

http://www.megxon.com/products/Products.htm

Click on "Contact Us"

The Megxon cameras distributor is located in Taipei Taiwan China.
Their email address is the only point of contact.

At one time they posted a phone number.
But that was only helpful, if you could speak Chinese.

The Australian name is likely an eBay merchant.
They come and go.

Collapse -
by garlini100 / November 25, 2004 1:26 AM PST

Hi There,

I see mixed views on this camera but am still interested in buying one. As per your comments below I wonder if I could ask you to send me a couple of examples of pictures taken by you. I have looked at their website and the pictures look good but the proof of the pudding as they say would be to see real examples. You say that the video clips are note that good but the sound is. Is there a chance that you could email me one of these too? I bought a Prosio on e-bay a few months ago as it was stated as 5mp but really only 3mp. The pictues are good and it did clips to but no sound. I look forward to hearing from you. Best regards...Bob Field. PS you can either email me on bob.field@ntlworld.com or my office address of bfield2@csc.com

Collapse -
by bebe20 / January 6, 2005 3:06 AM PST

I would love to see a picture or two please and If possiable an indoor picture.

besweet84@aol.com
(so I wont delete be mistake)Sub: Pictures from camera

Thanks
bebe

Collapse -
Megxon
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 6, 2005 5:52 AM PST

Here is the site that seems to be supporting the Megxon cameras.

There are some pictures ,,, click the "More" link.

Collapse -
Pictures
by grello / January 10, 2005 8:42 PM PST

Hi,
Just read your message.
I'd be glad to email you some pictures.
I'll do it later on today.

Collapse -
Pictures made by Megxon C580
by dhark63 / September 11, 2006 3:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Pictures

I sell these cameras on eBay and I probably will start selling them on Mightybids.com. There is a money back guarantee in my store because there is one from the distributor I deal with. I don't have any of the cameras for my own use, but I would very much like to see actual pictures taken with any of them expecially the C580. My E-mail address is dcoop49@bellsouth.net. Please send me some pictures. Also, I would like to know how long it takes to go from one shot to the next. The info says 3-10 seconds I believe. If the cameras are no good I don't want to be selling them, but the only complaint I have had is that it's not fast enough and that was just from 1 person.
Thanks
dcoop49

Collapse -
megxon c580
by coolcazz / September 6, 2007 5:14 PM PDT

hi i have one of these cameras take great photos but the problem im having is i keep loosing all my menu and keep getting a black screen, the last time it was running i reset it to factory settings which lasted for about 20 minutes and now i cant get any thing to work can anybody help me

Collapse -
Save Yourself
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 7, 2007 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: megxon c580

Your best choice is to look for another camera.

This time select a camera manufacturing company that supports its products.

Such as:

Canon, Casio, Fujifilm, Kodak, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Panasonic

Collapse -
repair of megxons
by roving aussie / October 14, 2005 10:01 AM PDT

I have a megxon s304 that has a LCD that doesn,t light up.Does anybody know cost to repair and where I can have it done

Collapse -
Repair of Megxons
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 14, 2005 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: repair of megxons
Collapse -
by sabanaca / October 22, 2004 6:36 PM PDT

I have just taken pocession of one of these cameras and I now know I made a mistake. The picture quality is acceptable but thats all. The documentation is poor, it locks up regularly and I wouldn't recommend buying one of these cheap cameras.

Collapse -
by F3Promo / October 26, 2004 8:04 PM PDT

I also was wandering about such a purchase, between a good second-hand and this newcomer. Note that some dealers are more accurate than others about its real specifications: http://www.aqqp73.dsl.pipex.com/c480.htm
Since it is also sold in Germany by Praktica, I had unconfirmed hopes that the lenses could be made by Pentacon... Most unlikely, I figure...

Collapse -
by bostonjoe / November 27, 2004 8:31 AM PST

well,i know this camera locks up,at first i did it to me what it needs is rechargable batteries i bought some and a memory card and i love this camera,of course you not taking photos for the local paper with this thing but it does take nice pictures and the movies are also decent,,i have sent hundreds to my girfriend in brazil,,i paid 120 for mine and im happy as can be,,dont know about these other guys but hey

Collapse -
by roops / December 3, 2004 9:24 AM PST

Hi recently purchased this camera and having lots of trouble getting clear focused pics.....

Can you please suggest optimum settings for everyday snaps

Cheers Sara

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 4, 2004 6:58 AM PST

The biggest cause of blurred photos with a digital camera is "camera movement".

First see if the problem is the camera or you:

Set the camera on a solid base (a table will do).
Have the camera pointed toward something that is not moving.

Use the delayed timer feature on the camera to take a picture without you touching the camera.

You will then get a shake proof photo.

Transfer the photo to the computer.
Examine the photo for sharpness/blur.

Collapse -
Megxon 480C
by grello / January 3, 2005 12:12 PM PST

I purchased this camera a few months ago.
You want clear pictures? In settings, choose "Best", or 3 stars. Don't select 8 megapixels, select 4. Always use a flash indoors. In settings, there is a place to select "sharpness". Activate that and when ready to take the pic, notice the "S" in the top left. Push the 5 way button "ok button" sideways until it displays "H" under it. There is also an "ISO" setting. Make sure that it is set to "400".

I like to set the camera to "Shutter Priority" and set the speed to 1/250, or so (faster for moving targets). To do this, when ready to take the pic, press the "OK" button, the highlight will switch from the "Sharpness" icon to the shutter speed icon and you can push the "OK" button sideways until the desired shutter speed is reached.

When changing the settings, always scroll through to make sure that it changed. Your pictures should turn out beautiful.

Regarding the movie quality----it is so-so.
The sound quality is terrific though. The video looks much better when played on the TV, rather than the PC.

Have fun with the camera and let me know how you made out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.