Cameras forum

Question

Media player won't play Panasonic HD Writer VE 2.0 MP4

by KevTheAce / April 12, 2013 9:49 PM PDT

I have been using Panasonic HD Writer successfully for a year. I am creating a project that is 110 minutes long. HD Writer splits this into 4 MP4 files. But when I try to play the first MP4 it does not play and "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file" appears. Also, Windows Explorer lists the duration for all MP4 files in my project folder, but not for this MP4 file. If I delete all the MP4 files then do File Output again from HD Writer, it doesn't create the first MP4 file and starts with the second so the first 36 minutes of the project is missing. Something else strange: HD Writer has created CONT, PMPD and TMB files for all my other projects but not this one. Anyone got any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Media player won't play Panasonic HD Writer VE 2.0 MP4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Media player won't play Panasonic HD Writer VE 2.0 MP4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
To answer this we discuss "CODECS"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2013 8:16 AM PDT

Both Explorer and WMP (windows media player) use a CODEC to find the length as well as decode the video. Both Explorer and WMP and incapable of finding these CODECs so you either find the one you need or encode in some way that your current setup can handle.

Frankly I rarely install a CODEC because too many CODECs have been compromised with malware. So I use VLC PLAYER instead.

Bob

Collapse -
Where do I find a CODEC?
by KevTheAce / April 13, 2013 6:07 PM PDT

Thanks for your answer Bob. I've been trying to stream the MP4 to my TV. But it can't play the "faulty" MP4. And there's something else I've noticed. The first MP4 file disappears after an hour or two. Bob, you said I need to find a CODEC that will work. How do I find a CODEC? Are these on my PC already? Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
I use google to find more about CODECs
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 3:21 AM PDT

But the "encoder" you used should have installed the needed codec and if not, then that's a product defect that you deal/ask them about. I didn't write that one so I can't fix it.

I see two issues here. One is Windows and the other is that streaming. Each area is a minefield of issues.

For Windows I may try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSpot and will not discuss OpenCandy in MediaInfo.

For streaming that is a tar pit of support so be sure to find folk that will support you.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by KevTheAce / April 14, 2013 4:13 PM PDT

I see I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction to start.

Collapse -
You see the issues now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob

You're off to a good start and may soon discover why I keep my own stuff simple. Such as encode with handbrake and play content with VLC Player and wait for better media player boxes.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.