PC Hardware forum

Media Drive vs External Hard Drive

by amcw2012 / December 26, 2012 10:02 AM PST

Without the consideration of portability which route should I go? I have an HP desktop that has run out of space on the C: drive. Most of my space has been used up by picture and video files (babies, babies, babies!) and there is just nothing left to delete. I want the current files to stay active (and not store in another location like a disc or back up location). HELP PLEASE!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Media Drive vs External Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Media Drive vs External Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
It's a desktop?
by mchainmchain / December 26, 2012 10:24 AM PST

Go and buy a second hard drive and install it in the second hard drive bay (should be empty and not in use). Copy all files to the second hard drive after formatting and partitioning new drive to NTFS file system.

Copy only.

Glitches do happen when moving files (cut/paste operation), and file(s) can be lost. You can delete files on original hard drive, but then you would have no back up of your files in case of disaster. Best to back up same files to an external USB drive as well.

You can't lose what you back up, but can certainly lose them if you don't.

Collapse -
Exactly my thought and he definitely he needs backup or
by VAPCMD / December 26, 2012 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: It's a desktop?

some redundancy. Adding another drive and moving the data to it only helps the space issue ... it does nothing for redundancy/backup.

All Answers

Collapse -
not store in another location like a disc or back up locatio
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 10:19 AM PST

"not store in another location like a disc or back up location"

Given that restriction you would get a bigger drive and use the supplied software to copy your old drive to the new drive. You set the spec or rules so this means no media or external drive will do.

Collapse -
Wooo, no backup
by Willy / December 26, 2012 11:54 AM PST

I take it you like your memories of pictures and what have you. Yet, you limit yourself not storing off PC. This just going to lead to heartache should the HD ever fail no matter what the improvement. Ext. HDs tend to fail far sooner than int. media but that's up to you. I strongly suggest you burn your memories to CD/DVD/BD discs in order to save something. Yes, you can add more storage media, but that's NOT PERMANENT, if can possibility fail. Do burn some or all of your important memories and then add the added int. storage to a larger HD. You can replace the current HD or add another one depending on your desktop setup. Understand any backup already done or future plans will be an added safety storage of those memories. if you can't understand that, find out the hard way, even if your improve your current storage media one way or another. HP provides generic help in added or replacement HD, just check your model# for details or find basic info via the HP support website. Beware, that most HP PCs may not always be capable "for long" to support a 2nd HD if so done plus the added heat source and wattage needs(PSU), just a thought to ponder. AND what other posters have suggested makes alot of sense.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
my solution
by Scottbdoug / December 31, 2012 11:47 AM PST

Burning discs to me is a pain in the *** and storing them becomes even more of a pain. Especially when ur storing terabytes worth of media files. My closet was full of discs of pictures home movies, and all the dvds i had for my favourite tv shows and movies.

I got rid of all of it and bought an hp external hard drives and been happier ever since. This is for two reasons... First, Have you ever tried to easily find things on discs when you have a thousand of them? Very difficult even when u label them. You can buy a 4tb hard drive for under 200 bucks now and that saves you from having a closet full of disc if each one is 4.3gb. All you need to do is buy 2 one to hold the original files and a 2nd as a back up. Second, as they are connected to ur pc u can access them instantly rather than seach for a disc to put in the dvd drive to see your cherished memories.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.