PC Applications forum

General discussion

McAfee Virus Scan install broke my internet connection

by sdrolz / October 30, 2005 9:50 AM PST

Message I receive at start up: 10093:successful WSAStartup not yet performed. The title on the message box is 'Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WLAN Monitor'

I am running win XP Pro on a Dell inspiron notebook with a Intel pent 4 processor. I have broadband/cable internet access which i run thru a linksys Wireless-G Broadband router (WRT54G). my laptop was connected to the network via the linksys wireless-g 2.4GHz 802.11g Notebook Adapter.

I decided to upgrade/update my mcafee virus scan product this morning, downloaded/installed the new product, and wham-o i loose network connectivity. I have since uninstalled mcafee, removed all occurances of it from my registry per mcafee tech support instructions and contacted linksys for help to no avail! I have also attempted to uninstall and reinstall the Linksys wireless-g notebook adapter utility to re-establish my network connection - no go.

I need help! The message I noted above appears anytime I restart my laptop or attempt to reaccess the network. I can't even connect to my router using a hard line network cable!

Linksys told me that the message was a socket error??!! (I think that's right, it was a few hours ago...) and suggested that i try to download the latest microsoft winsock.dll well I found no such thing.

Anyone out there ever have such a problem? This one's got me stumped!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: McAfee Virus Scan install broke my internet connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: McAfee Virus Scan install broke my internet connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I doubt that the installation
by El Alquimista / October 30, 2005 11:44 AM PST

of McAfee Virus Scan actually did, per se, cause you to lose connectivity. Linksys indicated you have a winsock problem, and this is a rather common result of some spyware, I would suspect an infection actually caused the loss.

Such spyware sometimes takes over winsock for its own nefarious purpose. Then, when the spyware is removed, winsock is left corrupted and inoperable. If a virus scan ran after the installation, and such malware was removed, it could explain your problem.

Fortunately, there may be help at hand, Try the free WinsockFix from this site or WinsockXPFix from this site. This often solves the problem, and certainly can't hurt.

Hope this helps, and keep us informed

Frank

Collapse -
WinsockXPfix: Got it, used it, worked.
by sdrolz / October 30, 2005 11:19 PM PST

Thanks Frank!

I actually found that same advice on a different thread last night, worked like a charm, but I haven't re-loaded McAfee yet due to my suspicious nature. I'm a glutton for punishment (not to mention I like to live dangerously!) so i will probably try to re-down load the mcafee virus scan product again tonight and see what happens. I can't very well live with out any virus scan product. I was thinking about trying AVG Anti virus, but its freeware, makes me nervous, but like I said, a glutton for punishment. I'm behind a hardware firewall so I'm a bit 'safer' than the average bear, but nothing is fool proof.

Your comments about the malware causing winsock issues never crossed my mind. I'm sure mcafee did a scan before it installed, so that is probably very valid point.

thanks again!

Collapse -
Don't be afraid of AVG
by El Alquimista / October 31, 2005 7:07 AM PST

Many people on these forums use it, and I know of many others who use it, including myself. I have not heard serious complaints about it -- at least no complaint that doesn't also apply to McAfee and Norton.

I can get McAfee for no cost through my broadband supplier, but I do not use it. It is a resource hog and they do not update its database as frequently as AVG. I am currently using AVG on two of my systems and Avast (also free) on the third, as a test.

BTW, you need more than antivirus. You should also have good anti-adware (Ad-Aware has a free version) and anti-spyware (Spybot Search & Destroy has a free version and Microsoft Antispyware Beta is currently free but may cost next year). Like your antivirus, the databases for these must be kept up to date and they should be run rather frequently. (I run them three times a week and whenever there is any suspicion of trouble, such as a system slowdown.)

Another program you should have in your anti-malware arsenal is CWShredder, just in case you get hit by the CoolWebSearch hijacker.

Hope this helps

Frank

Collapse -
Stay away from Norton of Mcafee , I surely don't trust them
by Pcfreakske2000 / November 2, 2005 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Don't be afraid of AVG

Hi all ,

I don't understand why people still use that crapware ( Norton Antivirus and Mcafee VirusScan ) and still use those as a virus protection.

I have ''been there and done that'' with Norton and Mcafee and I don't trust those two any longer.

Ok, you Norton and Mcafee lovers , go ahead and install that crapware and see what happens.

But don't tell me that I didn't warn you at first.

Indeed , there are freeware products available , but I don't trust them either.

I nowadays only rely on PandaSoftware's Panda Platinum Internet Security 2005 these days.

The built-in firewall doesn't work properly here , that's why I installed the free version of Zone Alarm here. It scans for spyware as well. It also has ''TruPrevent Technologies '' aboard , which seeks for suspicious behavior of software and kills that apps before they can do any harm to your computer.

I also have Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware installed here , and I also have MS Antispyware Beta installed here as well.

And last but not least , I also have CCleaner installed , to get rid of all the unused and useless data on my harddrive.

Just want to help you all , of course.

Greetings ,

Pcfreakske2000

Collapse -
As the Kids say: "No Fear"
by sdrolz / November 3, 2005 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: Don't be afraid of AVG

Thanks for the reassurance Frank. I will surely be looking into each one of those. In fact I do run Ad-aware SE on both of my machines (XP PRO laptop and old '98 clunker). Since I paid for McAfee, I went ahead and downloaded it anyway and am happily still connected (that is, after I was able to stay connected long enough to get the driver upgrade for my linksys network adapter, saved it first this time. Won't make that mistake again!) I'm going to give Spybot Search & Destroy a try as well as the Microsoft antispyware Beta a try as well, but I see that applies to XP machines only at this point. AVG will end up on my 98 clunker if its compatable. CWShredder - don't know much about it, but I will certainly look it up! thanks agian!

Scott

Collapse -
Have you got a wireless printer operating through your LAN
by Dick Humfrey / November 1, 2005 11:41 PM PST

I know one user who had a problem with their McAfee Wireless Home Network Security 1.0 breaking the wireless network,HP PSC 2510 wireless printer and internet connection. I believe the problem was solved by uninstalling McAfee and then resetting the network up again.

Problem ended up being tied to the printer and this answer was given
"Unfortunately we do not yet support this device.

This means that you have to manually program your network key in the printer each time it changes.

The easiest way is to suspend key rotation - see the instructions I gave in the print server thread in this forum.

You can manually rotate your key periodically to maintain security.

We plan to add support for wireless print servers as well as wireless printers in future releases. "

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.