PC Applications forum

General discussion

McAfee SiteAdvisor stopped working!

by Lazarey / December 30, 2006 1:51 PM PST

I installed the new update for McAfee SiteAdvisor (update 26.1 I think) and now it won't work! It's just grey on every site I go to, and when I search for something on Google, no icons come up to tell me which sites are okay or not. I uninstalled it and then went to McAfee's site and downloaded it again, restarted FireFox, and it still won't work. I tried to click on Enable SiteAdvisor but nothing happens. Actually, nothing happens when I click on ANY of the menu options that come up when you click on the SiteAdvisor button in the FireFox browser.

I'd really appreciate some help with this, I feel lost without SiteAdvisor.

P.S. I have Windows ME. I know, it's not a good OS. I just ordered a new computer. The ME one will still be in use though, that's why I want to fix this SiteAdvisor problem.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: McAfee SiteAdvisor stopped working!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: McAfee SiteAdvisor stopped working!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by tomron / December 30, 2006 2:10 PM PST
Collapse -
by glenn30 / December 31, 2006 12:10 AM PST

My thoughts considering where you are would be to uninstall Firefox... download the latest version from Mozilla Firefox. Reinstall Firefox and all the add-ons. Maybe something is corrupt and this would solve it.

Just a thought!

Collapse -
Likely more than that...
by John.Wilkinson / December 31, 2006 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Lazarey...

Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox is a good idea, but the issue likely extends beyond that. My guess is that the SiteAdvisor extension has become corrupt, so I would manually delete the extension. To address this, first close Firefox and browse to C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random characters.default. Off hand I don't remember the SiteAdvisor ID, so you may consider just deleting the entire Extensions folder. Restart Firefox and then download SiteAdvisor and any other extensions again.

Collapse -
Perhaps I should post on the topic page...
by santuccie / December 31, 2006 9:46 AM PST

John has the right idea. I recommend you do four things: uninstall FF, uninstall SA, remove SA's data folder, and clean the registry. I'm not sure if the path is the same in Windows ME, but on my machine it is "C:\Documents and Settings\erix\Application Data\SiteAdvisor" ("erix" being the active user in Windows XP). Just delete the "SiteAdvisor" folder, then run the reg cleaner.

Registry cleaners are an iffy thing. I never mess with the ones in huge PC maintenance suites like Iolo and Vcom, nor do I mess with those big names like Registry Mechanic. A registry tool should be conservative in operation, confining itself to definite and unambiguous errors. Needless to say, it's far better to let several obsolete registries remain on your machine than to act agressively and wind up removing necessary ones. Try EasyCleaner: http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

If after all this you still cannot get the two to play friendly, it'll most likely be an issue with the new version of SiteAdvisor. Otherwise, your operating system has a problem, and I seriously doubt you could have wrecked Windows simply by downloading an update. Good luck!

Collapse -
by santuccie / December 31, 2006 9:52 AM PST

By the way, if all else fails, you should still be able to use a portable version. If you need, I can instruct you on how to take Firefox Portable and replace one of its folders with a folder from one of its cousins that comes with SiteAdvisor pre-installed. There's more than one way to skin a cat!!!

Collapse -
mcafee stop working on firefox
by jjoyj69 / September 16, 2009 9:37 AM PDT

Uninstall McAfee and Reinstall it. I did it and it work for me.
You have to go to your control panel then click on add & remove program then click on change/remove then it will take you to the website and follow the steps provided.When you uninstall it you then reinstall the program.

Collapse -
my idea
by bozotheclown138 / September 18, 2009 2:22 PM PDT

get rid of mcafee and get a real AV

Collapse -
by rejimon antony / October 7, 2009 7:37 AM PDT

my mcaffe site adviser is not working.can you help me

Collapse -
What happened
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 7, 2009 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: mcafe

when you tried the suggestions in this discussion?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.