Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

McAfee not working--could be virus, or just hosed?

by joncwriter / May 4, 2009 11:51 AM PDT

[Sorry for the double-post...I originally put this in 'Computer Help' but afterwards thought this was a better place for it!]

First, a few specs: I have an eMachine T3418, running XP, which I've had since mid-2006. I'm updated on all the drivers/add-ons/service pacakges, etc, as far as I know.

This is by far the strangest problem I've had on my PC...especially since this happened AFTER I did my weekly run of McAfee/RegCure/CCleaner/Ad-Aware, et al. The only websites I went to after running them are Amazon, Yahoo, Live Journal, and Facebook. I ran all of these cleaners and scanners this past Saturday and no issues came up, but turning on the PC on Sunday morning this all started.

McAfee is not running, I can't update it, and I can't reach their website (I keep getting 501 or a 504 error). That is, I can *start* it, but can't get any updates and it stays in "initializing" status if I run it. I can, however, reach other security sites such as Norton/Symantec, Ad-Aware, and so on, without any problem. I've run all sorts of virus checking software since then and they're not finding anything. I've run CCleaner, RegCure, and I'm currently running Ad-Aware as we speak. I've also run a few programs I downloaded via a different computer to check for Conficker, but they're not finding anything either.

I should also add that I have no problems going to any other websites (not to worry, I'm only going to ones I know are safe), though both my browsers (IE8 and Firefox) can be a bit slow, and my system has been having a few hung app crashes lately as well, even before this issue came up--not many, but enough to be annoying.

Any ideas/suggestions? Would doing a system restore or even reinstalling the OS help? And are there any downloads/threads here that I might have missed that I can try?

Thanks ahead of time!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: McAfee not working--could be virus, or just hosed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: McAfee not working--could be virus, or just hosed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only A W.A.G. But...
by tobeach / May 4, 2009 2:57 PM PDT

is it possible that McAfee updater is being blocked by either your firewall or MS Security Center? maybe check that its ok'd in both & hasn't been added to you Host File by accident. Facebook (scary).

Beyond that you could try an un-install & re-install of McAfee & Adaware. I *think* I recall a similar comment & was cured by installing McAfee FIRST & then, afterwards re-installing Adaware. This was to avoid a conflict.

Sometime really weird results happen after running reg cleaning type products. If it has a back-up, can you check that it didn't alter a McAfee reg setting? Perhaps a Sys Restore or AFC might help. As I said, just my best *guesses*!! Happy

Collapse -
One Other Guess... MS Last Week...
by tobeach / May 4, 2009 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Only A W.A.G. But...
Collapse -
See Response In Computer Help
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 5, 2009 1:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks, Grif! Sandy ;-)
by tobeach / May 5, 2009 2:57 PM PDT
Grin
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.