MacBooks forum

Question

MBP vs MBA vs iPad

by NaOHfreak / November 29, 2012 4:51 PM PST

Erm, next year I'm going to enter college. I planning to buy myself an Apple product that will be useful in my college life. Mostly, I will surf net, YouTube, projects, some music and one or two games. I want a fast one and I have an external hard disk. Previously, my friend recommends me to take iPad since its portable but Air seems to be better and Pro is better on performance. Guys, I need your help, in a dilemma now. And kindly specify the type should I buy, like for Air its either 128Gb or 256Gb. Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MBP vs MBA vs iPad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MBP vs MBA vs iPad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Back to college then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: MBP vs MBA vs iPad

So far I've yet to find a student that could perform the needed work on a tablet. This may change over time but my bet is that many folk will buy a tablet and discover they need the laptop soon.

As to the 128 or 256 question, 256 is the safe answer.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Ipad
by eddo85 / December 11, 2012 9:43 PM PST

i think an ipad or a tablet in general is a nice accessories but it can't replace a laptop yet. (the surface pro is a promising candidate)
i would go with a mba. you will notice a huge difference in carrying a mbp or a mba. but on the other hand you won't able to play games with it... thank you intel

Collapse -
Don't confuse the Surface RT or any Windows 8 RT with Pro.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 10:53 PM PST
In reply to: Ipad

Entirely different animals.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
MBP- More powerful MBA- More Portable iPad- For Fun
by ericlericl / December 14, 2012 9:36 AM PST

Hi

The macbook pro is still portable, but it is a lot bulkier than the other two options. It also has a lot more processing power than the MBA and the iPad. The macbook air, on the other hand is very portable. When they first announced it, Steve Jobs had it in a manilla envelope! It has a SSD (Solid State Drive) which means that the hard drive has no moving parts, and it is a lot faster. (When I say it is a lot faster, I mean that the hard drive can be read a lot faster, not that the MBA has more processing power.) I am writing this on macbook air and I love it.
The iPad should not be a substitute for a computer. It dosen't run a desktop operating system, it runs a slightly modified version of the iPhone operating system (iOS). You cannot download any applications that Apple dosen't approve, so if you have any games on a disk, good luck playing them on the iPad. I'm not saying the iPad isn't fun, it's actually very good for watching YouTube videos and watching any videos that you download from iTunes.

As for your question about getting the 128 or 256 GB MBA, if you have the cash, go for the 256 GB MBA. Personally, when I bought my MBA, I got the 128GB one and am able to make it work. I do store many of my files on an external hard drive. If you have any more questions for me, just reply to this thread and I will try to get back to you.

ericlericl

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.