Mac OS forum

General discussion

MBP freezes for no reason

by tapasdesai / February 1, 2011 5:37 PM PST

I have a 2008 MBP (13", 2.26 ghz, 2 gb ram, leopard) which freezes if i leave it idle for more than 2 minutes.
The screen goes black and i get the rainbow spiral cursor.

I have to use expose and switch to a new space, after which everything works perfectly.
And after a while, the frozen space goes back to normal.

Surprisingly, it doesnt freeze if i dim the brightness of the screen to zero (or put it to sleep)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MBP freezes for no reason
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MBP freezes for no reason
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System preferences also freezes
by tapasdesai / February 1, 2011 6:26 PM PST

if i try to change/test a screensaver.

the program stops responding, rest of the computer works fine.

Collapse -
Time to start thinking about an Archive and Install
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 1, 2011 8:48 PM PST

Seems like more than one thing is broken.

But first, go to the Preferences folder in your Home>Library>Preferences and find the Spaces preference file and the Screen Saver preference file. (If you can)

Move them out onto the desk top and start Spaces again. It will create a new preference file but you will have to set up Spaces again.
Do the same with the Screen Saver .

P

Collapse -
cant find the preference files
by tapasdesai / February 9, 2011 5:25 PM PST

could you please give me the name of the preference files ?

Collapse -
I tried tht when my trackpad stopped clicking
by tapasdesai / February 9, 2011 5:32 PM PST

My trackpad doesnt click when I push it down.
So I cut-pasted the com.apple.finder.plist file frm preferences on the desktop and restarted the computer (several times)

Because the trackpad still didnt click, I put the file from the desktop back to the preferences file and i wasnt asked if i want to replace the com.apple.finder.plist file.

Maybe its that screw on the trackpad that needs to be loosened (i saw that on youtube) to make it work again.

Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / February 9, 2011 10:16 PM PST

No, and especially if it's one of the multi-touch trackpads, if it stops registering clicks the only thing to do is replace it. It's a hardware failure, and no amount of fiddling with software settings will fix it. The non-multitouch trackpads require a new top case, the multitouch can be removed separately. Just don't think you're going to do this on your own though. You have to remove the battery, and on newer models the battery is locked in with very difficult to find a screwdriver for screws for good reason.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.