Mac OS forum

Question

[MBP] Booting clamshell + External boot...

by allandbyallo / April 4, 2012 12:02 AM PDT

Hello
I have an MBP A1226 running OS X 10.6.8

I just had my screen break on me and have it running in clamshell. Is it possible to have the computer ALWAYS boot with clamshell without having to close it while it's booting?

Furthermore, I would like to run a disk utility that requires an external drive boot (disk warrior). I've had some major problems with disk speed lately, and I just wanted to do some tests. I guess my question there is: with this busted monitor, how could i booth from the external drive AND clamshell mode at the same time?

The first question would probably answer the second as well, but I thought I would just lay out all my queries at once all the same.

Thanks in advance!
A

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: [MBP] Booting clamshell + External boot...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: [MBP] Booting clamshell + External boot...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What you can do
by Jimmy Greystone / April 4, 2012 12:28 AM PDT

What you can do, if you're daring enough, is to open the case and disconnect the LVDS cable from the MLB. Then just wrap it in some electrical tape or something to keep it from accidentally completing a circuit, and close things back up with the LVDS cable just floating loose inside the case. That way, the EFI won't find an internal display, broken or otherwise, and will automatically default to external video. It's a trick most techs learn pretty quickly, not that Apple ever bothers putting it into the ACMT training material.

As for your other issue, I wouldn't be surprised if your HDD is on its way out. In any event, if you can get video on the external display, you should be able to just hold option down to get the boot menu.

Collapse -
thanks
by allandbyallo / April 4, 2012 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: What you can do

not quite that daring right now
i've opened up my previous mbp to replace a fan, and while i got it closed again, it was pretty darn sloppy at best haha
i'd like to avoid doing that.

i dont think the HD is on the way out, it's not THAT horrible, but its definitely not as fast as it should be. i just freed up some space and i wouldn't mind just running a couple utils to see whats up if anything

either way i'm gonna upgrade soon to a new HDD and replace the optical with an SSD for os/apps
but for now i'd like to just do some tests/tweaks

thanks! i appreciate your time and knowledge Happy
a

Collapse -
Yes
by Jimmy Greystone / April 4, 2012 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Yes, those older style models are a bit of a pain if you don't know what you're doing. There is a trick to getting the top case off, but you need to be careful doing it or you could damage the flex cable that connects it to the MLB. Of course the other methods have you risking bending the crap out of the bottom case, so it's kind of a situation where the design was aimed more at being aesthetically pleasing than functional repair wise. And just hope your keyboard never goes out. Good lord is that a lot of work to replace on those things. It rivals the newer unibody models where you just rebuild the entire laptop inside a new top case.

If you're going to upgrade the HDD, you may as well do the LVDS cable at the same time, since both require removing the top case.

Collapse -
"it's not THAT horrible"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2012 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Any dodgy drive is DODGY. I can only guess you have to learn this one first hand.

After a few years you'll know that any DODGY drive is something you never want around.

Kinda funny story. Years ago our shop had collected dozens of bad drives. We had lucked out and fixed a few to recover data using boards and parts but it was time to move on. I took the entire lot to a swap meet and put out a sign "Dead Drives, 5$ each" and they sold out in minutes. Only one person looked at me, then the drives and said "If you can't fix them I know I can't." They knew my shop and me so I took that as a compliment. They didn't buy one.

Bob

Collapse -
drives
by allandbyallo / April 4, 2012 4:19 AM PDT

yeah you're right. and my career depends on my computer so no sense waiting around.
all in the works Happy

thanks for the answers Happy

a

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.