Speakeasy

General discussion

Maybe the real gun control need will eventually become

by Steven Haninger / February 6, 2013 7:26 PM PST
practice

While I first looked at this as being a bit extreme, there are parts that make sense. Just because one has a gun for protection doesn't make them capable of using it properly if needed. Kids have always had fire drills in school. In some areas, tornado drills are also common. We had nuclear bomb drills back in the '50 and '60. These would be both announced and unannounced. Some schools are already looking into "active shooter" drills. In our homes, we've been encouraged to have severe weather plans but I'm thinking that home invasions now outnumber homes taken out by tornadoes every year. Perhaps we'll be seeing services to train people and families how to survive attacks in their homes including family drills. Maybe it's not that far fetched or even far away?
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maybe the real gun control need will eventually become
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maybe the real gun control need will eventually become
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
gun practice if you own one would be good
by Roger NC / February 6, 2013 8:10 PM PST

although some of the "practice" around here scares me. Often times there are people shooting at things in trees, the old cans on a post type targets, etc. without enough consideration of where the bullet may end up. And as mentioned before I've seem more than once a little fun shooting in the back yard with guns and alcohol, not a good combination anytime anywher.

But even the simple target shooting unhurried and at a old fashion target should at least improve the shooter's control over where the bullet goes. And being use to the firing of the gun and how to control it would make it a better self defense.

Problem for some is the cost of ammo to do regular target shooting, or if you don't own an acre of land the cost shooting ranges charge to use them.

The article makes some sense, and if you're that afraid of imminent home invasion, I guess I understand if you have different guns scattered throughout the house, hopefully protected from accidents with small children. Horrible way to live, thinking somone is going to get you, not may, but will.

Collapse -
My city landed in the nation's top 10 for burglaries
by Steven Haninger / February 6, 2013 9:08 PM PST

We don't have the murder rate of Chicago or other larger cities but burglaries and home invasions are becoming more common. Home invasions are typically carried out by multiple people who are actually wanting to find tenants at home. This is more scary than having people case your neighborhood to see when you're away. A gun in the home is a prize to a burglar but a risk to home invaders if they cannot surprise their victims. Like owning a car, it's no good if you don't know how to use it. Like driving a car, you'd need to prepare for accident avoidance. If they're not available already, I could see a market for home invasion protection and training services if such crime remains popular.

Collapse -
home invasions seems to be to be as much
by Roger NC / February 7, 2013 7:09 AM PST

about finding hurting people thrilling as actually robbing them.

Some cases may be because they suspect a safe with large valuables and want the owner there to force them to reveal it and open it.

But I can't help but think it's thrill just as much as money for most home invaders, they get off on the fear of the victims, and many of them just plain enjoy hurting someone.

Collapse -
You've hit on the root cause of so many of our problems
by Steven Haninger / February 7, 2013 8:37 AM PST

Immorality, amorality and disrespect for human life all blended into one package.

Collapse -
The preeminent expert on such matters..........
by Tony Holmes / February 6, 2013 9:11 PM PST

would be Capt. Massad Ayoob.His classes are not inexpensive but there are videos out there one should at least watch and drill into their heads what he says about deadly force and stand your ground/castle law.

http://www.defenseassociates.com/mag.htm

Ayoob on home invasions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGe_G3HDKFQ

Don't answer the door:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3zIA6vJkQ

Finally,a discussion on stand your ground law.It's a little long but contains very good information and is worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irnD34P2l1w

Collapse -
Interesting stuff and I especially
by Steven Haninger / February 7, 2013 1:05 AM PST

enjoyed the link to the Russian female doing the quick shooting archery. I think she could knock most home invaders off of their game.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.