Speakeasy

General discussion

Maybe some good will come from

by Steven Haninger / June 28, 2012 9:51 PM PDT

the healthcare act.

From the article:

"They reality is, they need to keep high-performing employees to remain competitive," said Steve Snelson, a local human-resources consultant, before the court issued its ruling. "If they eliminate health care, there will be a significant impact on their employee retention, which would be even more costly than adhering to the new 'Obamacare' rules."

This could mean no more hiding behind the productive employees if you want to keep your job and benefits. Employers could be more selective in their hiring and freer in their termination policies...either perform or be shown the door. Knowing that the freeloaders will be weeded out might be a good incentive to develop better work ethics.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maybe some good will come from
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maybe some good will come from
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think you got that backwards
by Diana Forum moderator / June 30, 2012 11:20 AM PDT

It sounds like employers will need to provide good health insurance whether Obamacare is in place or not to retain high-performing employees. If Obamacare was struck down, employers could quit offering health insurance but their best employees will be looking elsewhere.

Diana

Collapse -
I think we will see
by James Denison / June 30, 2012 11:35 AM PDT

an increase in offshore healthcare for the wealthier, just like offshore banking.

Collapse -
(NT) We already see it
by Diana Forum moderator / June 30, 2012 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: I think we will see
Collapse -
(NT) Maybe we could outsource congress.
by Steven Haninger / June 30, 2012 7:35 PM PDT
In reply to: I think we will see
Collapse -
We'd be arrested for...
by James Denison / June 30, 2012 11:02 PM PDT

....dropping them in the Goodwill box.

Collapse -
Not at all
by Steven Haninger / June 30, 2012 7:34 PM PDT

Since the plan will increase the cost of providing benefits to employees, employers can be more selective in who they hire and what they expect in the way of work ethic. In this time of high unemployment, it's an employer's market. They can already be selective. Why make it more-so? On the other hand, my point is that workers will also need to step up and do better. We've all worked among slackards who do little more than drain the payroll budget. This isn't a positive incentive for those with good work ethic and it's, IMO, the American work ethic that also needs to improve if we want to be globally competitive.

Collapse -
Unfortunately, the Unions
by TONI H / June 30, 2012 8:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Not at all

have already been given waivers regarding Obamacare....they all have those 'cadillac' plans that will be taxed. Union workers have always had the Union to protect them so they could afford to drink on the job, get high during lunchbreaks, put out shoddy work, etc. and not worry about being fired, especially if they had seniority or tenure. I agree with you about the American work ethic needing to improve....wish there was a way to force union workers into that.

Collapse -
Good on them !!!!
by JP Bill / June 30, 2012 8:27 PM PDT

You'd feel a lot better, in general, if you just looked at them as a small/big business trying to make a buck.

Collapse -
Public sector unions
by TONI H / June 30, 2012 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Good on them !!!!

aren't a small/big business trying to make a buck....they are using private taxes to pay their salaries and their pension and health plans....and they don't do anything substantial to warrant it, except firemen and police, Every State and Federal employee is in a union....and we aren't getting the bang for our buck. They aren't efficient, productive, or even worthy of what they get when they give nothing in return. They are a drain on our resources because once they are in a union, they don't worry about being fired for incompetence. Public sector unions are the biggest joke and trick perpetrated on this country.........

Collapse -
RE: Public sector unions
by JP Bill / June 30, 2012 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Public sector unions

THIS is the post I responded to

Unfortunately, the Unions - New!

by TONI H - 7/1/12 3:04 AM

In Reply to: Not at all by Steven Haninger

have already been given waivers regarding Obamacare....they all have those 'cadillac' plans that will be taxed. Union workers have always had the Union to protect them so they could afford to drink on the job, get high during lunchbreaks, put out shoddy work, etc. and not worry about being fired, especially if they had seniority or tenure. I agree with you about the American work ethic needing to improve....wish there was a way to force union workers into that.

I don't see the words "Public Sector unions" anywhere in that post.

Anyway...YOU have a

HAPPY CANADA DAY !!!!!!!

Toni

Collapse -
There was an attempt to limit the collective bargaining
by Steven Haninger / June 30, 2012 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Public sector unions

component of Ohio public employee unions recently and it was shot down by statewide vote. I got to watch all of this happen via the ad campaigns. The union side did a much more effective job even though the initial public opinion polls favored the law. We were basically by the union side that our houses could burn down or be invaded by robbers and that our kids wouldn't get proper educations and grow up to be dummies. While not states that way, this is what was implied in the ads. The pro side of the campaign emphasized the cost benefits and the con side countered with threats of reprisal. To me, the whole process sounded more like hostage situation negotiations than reasoned arguments. The voters caved at the polls. Very ugly time here...

Collapse -
I need to apologize for my poor editing here
by Steven Haninger / June 30, 2012 10:29 PM PDT

It's really bad. I've been drinking cheap coffee these mornings...can't even think about Starbucks. Happy

Collapse -
Screw Starbucks............
by Tony Holmes / June 30, 2012 11:02 PM PDT

I've got a Keurig and a nice stock of "Emeril's Big Easy Bold" here. Grin

Collapse -
I'm from Ohio
by TONI H / June 30, 2012 10:51 PM PDT

and other than Derek, all of my family is from the Parma (suburb of Cleveland), Medina areas. I was keeping track of what was happening there and was really surprised that Kasich wasn't able to pull it off considering that since he's been in office unemployment has dropped from nearly 9% to barely above 7%. Of course, the Dems and BO will try to take credit for it as that percentage rate makes them look good, but it was all Kasich's work that did it. The type of ad campaign that the Unions brought on is exactly what the lawsuits in SCOTUS were about and the workers actually beat SEIU...unfortunately, Ohio voters didn't get that message because of the liberal news stations and other media. Union theft of the workers' dues and thuggery wins again...........

Collapse -
We're now seeing the effect of the vote to
by Steven Haninger / July 3, 2012 12:36 AM PDT

allow the public employee unions keep doing it their own way. The local bus transit system has been shut down due to a strike. The 3 year 7% pay raise isn't enough and the request to have the employees contribute 1% more to their benefits package was too much to bear. They want more money, no benefits deduction and an accelerated means to achieve the top pay grade. They've also decided to do this on the day before the largest ridership of the year when extra buses are needed to handle the thousands of people who come downtown for one of the countries largest fireworks attractions. Of course they claim that doing this just before the 4th of July event was just a coincidence and not a timing strategy. Yeah, right! Hostage situation? Happy

Collapse -
7% over 3 years is about what I'm getting....
by Josh K / July 3, 2012 12:41 AM PDT

....at my non-union job. It sucks but that's how things are these days. As for the 1% additional contribution, they would have to put that into a dollar figure in order for any of us to opine on it.

No benefits deduction would be a pretty sweet deal. NOBODY gets that anymore -- well, except Congress. Wink

Collapse -
Ahh,but on 1/20/13.........
by Tony Holmes / June 30, 2012 10:53 PM PDT

Romney will grant many more waivers to Obamacare Happy

He really can't repeal Obamacare on his first day in office but what he can do is grant waivers to all 50 States which will castrate the act.

Collapse -
As i see it...
by Willy / June 30, 2012 11:13 PM PDT

It has always been my experience and 2st hand knowledge from others that during "hiring" the employer are looking for the best applicants to fit for their needs. Anything else would be counter productive sooner or later. As for selective, they've always been selective in their best interests. As for freeloaders, these tend to stick around for other reasons, maybe for health benefits but generally because they have something to hide behind, like union rules, age, knowledge keepers, patent holders, owners, etc., because they can and do use what it takes to act in "their best interests". Nothing going to change until humans leave the face of the earth. -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.