Peripherals forum

General discussion

Maxtor One Touch II 300 GB not accessible

by ShrBart / January 22, 2006 5:26 PM PST

This is my first posting, so please forgive me if i leave anything out. I've had a Maxtor One Touch II 300 GB external hard drive for about 6 months now. I tried running a game off it tonight through my laptop (Compaq Presario 900 w/ Amd athlon processor on XP) only to have the whole computer lockup. Since it came back, the Maxtor has been no longer accessible. Windows will still acknowledge when it's plugged in through either my my USB 1.1 port or 2.0 notebook card. But when I try opening the hard drive, I get two alternating error messages. The first is ''The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable'' and the second is ''The parameter is incorrect.'' I also keep getting ''Data Execution Prevention'' notices from Windows.

I've read different forums on the similar topics and searched Maxtor but nothing seems to fit my problem. One solution I tried is to type chkdsk g:/f in a command prompt. The response I get is ''The type of the file system is NTFS.'' & ''Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted'' Also, Device Status says that ''The device is working properly.''

So I have a few questions. Are there any solutions to fix it? Is the data recoverable? Would it work again if I formated the drive? Or do I now have a $250 paper weight that has lost all my pictures, work documents, and music?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maxtor One Touch II 300 GB not accessible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maxtor One Touch II 300 GB not accessible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lets' start with have you contacted Maxtor ??
by VAPCMD / January 26, 2006 11:45 AM PST

If it's any should be under warranty for one year from date of purchase or mfg whichever is later.

Collapse -
An Update
by ShrBart / February 6, 2006 6:54 AM PST

I'm usually in class or working during their contact hours, and I can't find an e-mail address to send my query to. Also, I never sent in the warranty card (pretty stupid, I know).

But what I've done so far is focused at recovery. I bought a DVD burner and have been using a file recovery software to back up all my files (so far, no problems). Next, I'm going to try the maxtor recovery software. I'm not sure, but I might have backed it up. If that doesn't work, then I'll just reformat the drive. If anyone knows that reformating it won't work or possibly make the situation even worse, let me know. Thanks

Collapse -
Not sure you need to register if you have proof of purchase
by VAPCMD / February 6, 2006 10:09 AM PST
In reply to: An Update

Go to the Maxtor site and check ... let tham make good on their el lamo product once you get what you need off it and wipe it before returning if possible

Let us know what happens

Collapse -
Warranty Info
by ShrBart / February 13, 2006 1:04 AM PST

It's a good thing I'm a pack rat. I found all my Maxtor documents that came with it, including the warranty information. I honestly wouldn't have even thought about that if you hadn't mentioned something about it. Thanks again.

Other than that, I got about 30 more GB's left to recover out of the 150 I'd put on it. The DVD burner is being a life saver.

Collapse -
The link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2006 7:35 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.