Tablets forum

Question

Max sdmicro card OS/memory for Nook Tablet 16GB

by XAFRTS / February 4, 2013 7:04 AM PST

Has anyone experimented with the maximum size removable memory chip for the Nook Tablet 16GB?

I am considering 'rooting' my nook tablet by booting to a memory chip as discussed on an Android O/S site marketing Android 4.1 aka 'Jelly Bean'.

I'd like to know if its possible to exceed the posted max of 32GB sdmicro card memory.

Perhaps someone has already tried and can give me a headsup to any limitations or hazards before I invest in a 64GB sdmicro card.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Max sdmicro card OS/memory for Nook Tablet 16GB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Max sdmicro card OS/memory for Nook Tablet 16GB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have the Color Nook and it worked with 32GB cards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 7:17 AM PST

I'm sure it's possible to exceed more but is there any limitation we need to know about? That is, you are an electronics designer with access to a secret lab under a volcano?

In other words, no.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks, but, Apples to Oranges?
by XAFRTS / February 4, 2013 11:19 AM PST

thanks, Bob, for responding to my post,
however; since I have a Nook Tablet and you, admittedly, have a Nook Color,
I am not sure the two function in the same way.
Yes, I am aware that the Nook Tablet specs say that a Nook Tablet can function with a 32GB sdmicro card.

My question is to explore what happens when a card of larger capacity is inserted in a Nook Tablet. Maybe I am a little cheap but, I prefer to think I am being frugal not wanting to invest in a 64GB if it wont function as desired.

again, thanks
but, IS THERE ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE WITH MORE PERTINENT INPUT???

Collapse -
I've seen folk plug them in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2013 7:10 AM PST

The 64GB card is called SDXC and does not work. It's rather amazing to see folk pay for such even when you warn them off.

Maybe someone has tried this on the Nook Tablet and will respond directly to you. I see with a google search the answer is still no.
Bob

Collapse -
Woo Hoo Bob!
by XAFRTS / February 5, 2013 2:44 PM PST

Now, that's an answer I understand...
and exactly why I asked the question...
dont want to be one of those folks that ignored the warnings...
thanks again for the followup nod...
you could've cut and run... but, you hung with me...
thanks

Collapse -
Hang in there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2013 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: Woo Hoo Bob!

I figure that such support is going to arrive RSN (real soon now) on the next wave of devices. There is some talk in the meetings I've been to that it's not needed because of the cloud and the fact that 32GB of content can't be played in a day or week (video/audio). So that's more than ample.

However they are dismissing the folk that want to carry their library with them. I know folk that can't be bothered to make playlists or sync only what they need so as their library grows they are looking for larger storage devices.

Bob

Collapse -
International Travel
by XAFRTS / February 6, 2013 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Hang in there.

yes, I agree...
I am one of those folk who travel extensively internationally...
and dont like having to pay exorbitant rates for internet access while on cruise ships
or at locales that dont have internet access.
I intend to transfer a library from DVD to sdmicro cards...
already I have used online services such as Netflix, Hulu plus, Crackle
would like to find an way to access Major network webpages for current programming
have you used your rooted nook color to access them?

Collapse -
I changed tablets.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2013 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: International Travel

At the office we are working on porting Android apps so I have other tablets now. About the major networks that lock out tablets, for that I pull out my laptop.

Sorry but I didn't write the obvious solution to more storage. Carry a few 32GB cards.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.