Dell forum

General discussion

Max RAM suported on Inspiron 1420

by magic2me / November 3, 2009 7:09 PM PST

Can anyone advise what is the max RAM this dell Inspiron 1420 can support? I know I have been told the max RAM support with current Windows Vista (32-bit) is 4GB. But If I am to go for 64-bit Windows Vista or Windows 7 later, what would be the max ram the hardware can support?
I tried to ask Dell support center but they keep telling me it's not advisable to go 64-bit coz it's not tested, and there will be drivers concern.
I just need to know on the hardware end, what is the max ram it can support. 64-bit windows can support more than 4GB, but what would be the limit on the hardware end?
Appreciate if anyone can enlighten me.
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Max RAM suported on Inspiron 1420
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Max RAM suported on Inspiron 1420
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read your question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2009 9:08 PM PST

The answer is exactly as it should be. They support 4GB so today the support is for that.

You can see if offers more than that.

Can I ask why many are going to add over 4GB? I saw little speed increases past 2GB with Vista and Windows 7 even in the 64 bit versions. Let's share this percent. Less than 1% speed up.

Collapse -
max ram support by hardware
by magic2me / November 4, 2009 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: Read your question.

Hi! Bob,

Thanks for your response. Not that I needed to add more than 4GB soon, but to understand if my hardware has any limitation to go beyond that. I currently has 3GB ram on my Dell 1420, and frankly do not see much improvement over 2GB.

Reason is I know that 64-bit Windows Vista or Windows 7 can support more than 4GB, hence the question that come to mind would be is the hardware able to support more than 4GB too? Do you think the hardware would impose any limitation on the max RAM it can support? besides what the operating system can?

Collapse -
Crucial notes 4GB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2009 8:37 PM PST
Collapse -
max ram for inspiron 1420
by magic2me / November 4, 2009 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: Crucial notes 4GB

Thanks, that link was very informative.

So it seems it's quite clear that the max supported ram is 4GB. Unless I would go for 64-bit Windows later, otherwise I would be just be in very good shape for a long while with my 3GB currently.

Again, thanks for your guidance.

Collapse -
Sorry for the typographic error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2009 9:48 PM PST

I'm on a new machine and still learning the new keyboard layout.

It came with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and 4GB DDR3 RAM so all I can offer is it seems plenty. I'll share why I changed. It was Vista. My new job is writing Windows Mobile apps and Vista was like a drag chute in what may seem small ways but they all add up to a drag effect.

From my trials with 7 beta, 7 RC and this new machine, I would not upgrade a 3GB machine. I would however opt for 64 bit if it can be done for a price. Why? Most of the Windows 7 free upgrades are for the 32 bit version. Why this is so is that makers are not prepared for owners to scream at them about what it takes to jump from 32 to 64 bit during the install. More about that in the Cnet Windows 7 forum.

Again, I'd get the 64 bit Windows 7 but not bump the ram.

Collapse -
to 64-bit Windows 7
by magic2me / November 4, 2009 10:13 PM PST

Yes, I am considering upgrading Vista to Windows 7. That's the reason why I started checking on the memory requirement too.
But I couldn't understand so much why is it better to for the 64-bit Windows 7, rather than 32-bit?
I am of the understanding that if I have the need to make use of more memory (like more than 4GB) then only I go for the 64-bit.
Would you help me to understand it more about moving from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Windows 7?
Thank you.

Collapse -
That discussion has been done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2009 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: to 64-bit Windows 7

You find that discussion is done many times in the Computer Help, Windows 7 and other forums. I can't see what more I could add here.

Collapse -
New Ram for inspiron 1420
by MaxMundu / February 21, 2013 4:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Don't buy if they won't answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 5:09 AM PST

If the seller and maker won't tell you it's compatible, then it does not matter what I say here. But what I often write is to check the page as they will backup their compatibility claims.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.