PC Hardware forum

mATX motherboard in a mITX casing

by Euro_Bucks / August 20, 2014 5:47 AM PDT

Planning to build a budget system for my wife. It would be only used for gaming (Dota 2 to be specific). And i want it small.

Got a CM elite 110 already, just waiting the motherboard to arrive.

Will it fit?

Biostar H81MHV3

Support the Intel 4th generation Core i7 and Core i5 processors in the 1150 package
Intel H81 single chip architecture
Support 2-DIMM DDR3-1600/1333 up to 16G maximum capacity

Cooler Master Elite 110 ITX case

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mATX motherboard in a mITX casing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mATX motherboard in a mITX casing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I dread such cases.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2014 7:56 AM PDT

Let me be blunt here. The posts with folk that crammed gaming gear into such small cases is enough for me to cringe each time it comes up. Don't do it.

Collapse -
cheap board
by Euro_Bucks / August 20, 2014 6:34 PM PDT
In reply to: I dread such cases.

point is i want a small rig and i also want to get rid of those expensive itx motherboards. that board from biostar costs $40 while an itx costs 80.

Collapse -
No and no
by Willy / August 20, 2014 9:39 PM PDT
In reply to: cheap board

I agree with Robert, this is a build that will sooner or later teach hard lessons. No matter what $ you save, it will cost more in the long run. On top of that you want gaming which on its own is a demanding task. So, in this light you're asking for problems even if it runs well, it won't for long. You can do what you want but at least cool this as best as possible. I strongly suggest you use a mATX case that more befitting the mtrbd. and maintaining an ATX type PSU and overall slightly larger case but still smaller that typical desktop case. ITX type cases were intended for media-play or sit by the TV arrangement for entertainment uses.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
cm elite 110
by Euro_Bucks / August 21, 2014 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: No and no

with regards to the case if you check out the link, you can use a standard size psu in it. i own the case right now and it has a small footprint, which i really wanted since it will be sitting beside another rig that has a huge raven 03 placed.

i said the purpose is just to play dota 2 and watching movies in a 23 inch monitor so i guess i will be using a GT 740 (that has a single slot) to be installed in the motherboard.

thanks guys

Collapse -
For budget. Copy what others did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2014 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: cheap board
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.