Laptops forum

Question

Matte vs Glossy Screen

by johnt7 / May 26, 2011 1:53 AM PDT

Hey I'm looking at buying the new HP Pavilion dv6t quad edition laptop and there are two screen options: HP Brightview display (glossy) with a resolution of 1366x768 and the HP Anti-Glare screen (matte) with a resolution of 1920x1080.
Now in an ideal world, I could get the brightview screen in the 1920x1080 resolution because I know I like HP's brightview screens. However, I have never used a laptop with a matte screen.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Matte vs Glossy Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Matte vs Glossy Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Antiglare does reduce crispness.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2011 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Matte vs Glossy Screen

This is well discussed and in days not long ago we would adjust our workplace to reduce the glare. Today folk don't want to adjust so we have this option.

I want the crisp clear display so I don't opt for antiglare.

Make your choice.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Matte screens are not only
by orlbuckeye / May 27, 2011 4:13 AM PDT

better at reducing glare but the also have better viewing angles.

Collapse -
Answer
I mostly like matte
by porsche10x / May 27, 2011 10:38 AM PDT

Personally, I prefer matte screens. To me, even normal room lighting causes annoying reflections in a glossy screen. I would be able to see my own reflection, a reflection of my hands on the keyboard, etc., etc. It would drive me nuts. That would reduce the fidelity of the image much worse than any slight percieved improvement in contrast ratio from the glossy screen. I would think it would be even worse on a laptop. I could only imagine a measurable advantage to a glossy screen in a darkened, theater-like room, with the position of the screen, me, and all the items in the room precisely controlled. Do understand, this is my personal preference only. Others certainly may disagree.

Collapse -
Answer
Personal taste
by rebride / May 27, 2011 1:14 PM PDT

I have both anti-glare and glossy on laptops, desktop monitor, and TVs. I enjoy the matte a bit more because it just seems more relaxing and warm (not color related). Probably due to the absence of reflections and glare. BUT, BUT when I get on the glossy the picture is sharper, more dynamic and detailed. Hard call.
Beware that some matte screens have a graininess to them (Dell Ultra Sharp 2311 and 1420, but not old Toshiba laptop). Read reviews for the one you want. It can be a real bother and deal buster.
Also using a matte screen and printing glossy photographs can be a little out of sync, though not a problem if just doing casual snapshots

Collapse -
Answer
You need to look at both
by timhood / May 27, 2011 2:33 PM PDT

Try viewing both screen types in a store. There are people who swear by both screen types for specific reasons. The anti-glare screens don't show your reflection which some find too annoying, whereas the glossy screens tend to be brighter and show truer colors. I have a glossy screen on my laptop (different brand) and there are times when I see the reflections. I adjust the screen angle to minimize it. I like the bright, accurate colors, so I'm not sure if I would switch to anti-glare.

Collapse -
Answer
Glossy screen
by oldino / May 27, 2011 9:34 PM PDT

A glossy screen will give you richer and vibriant colours whereas a matte screen dulls them

Collapse -
(NT) Well said!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2011 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Glossy screen
Collapse -
Answer
Size matters
by richteral / May 30, 2011 5:23 AM PDT

I think it depends on the screen size: With a big one (providing more opportunity for reflections), anti-glare would likely be preferable. True, the glossy gives more depth, detail, etc., but the reflections can be very annoying.

Collapse -
Relevant
by rebride / June 6, 2011 6:12 AM PDT

Great link.

Collapse -
Answer
Depends on what you're using it for
by melissa_cnet / June 1, 2011 8:50 AM PDT

I have a matte screen on my netbook and a glossy on my 15" laptop. The netbook is actually a much more expensive machine than my 15" but the pic is nowhere near where my glossy is at in regard to crispness of graphics...

Collapse -
Answer
Personal taste 2
by rebride / June 6, 2011 6:45 AM PDT

Since my last post I have been aware of my reaction whenever I use a different screen in my home (3 matte, 3 glossy). Every time I use/turn on the matte(s) I immediately have a most positive reaction. The are quite a bit easier to use, especially long term. Much more comfortable.
My wife used her glossy at my son's baseball game yesterday (total overcast sky). What a pain in the butt.
DVD, video watching the nod would go to glossy, IF you do a WHOLE LOT of that. If just once in a blue moon, than not that important.
Regular internet browsing, word processing, documents. Matte.
Outdoors, no contest. Matte.
Indoors with no control over lighting, windows etc. Matte.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.