PC Applications

Resolved Question

Match contents of a folder with another folder for duplicate

by jarhtmd / January 26, 2013 11:47 AM PST

Finding/deleting duplicate files is a much discussed topic. I searched before posting . . . over 4700 pages that I reviewed. Maybe my question has been covered, but not in the 1st several pages. Sorry if this is a duplicate question (pun intended).

I would like to compare the filenames (only, not contents) in FolderA &/or subfolders to FolderB &/or subfolders. Software that I've found so far has found all duplicates. That's not really what I want. I don't want duplicates that are only in FolderB.

FolderA
....File1
....File2
....File3

FolderB
....SubfolderA
........File2
........File3
........File4
....SubfolderB
........File1
........File3
........File5

I want File1 flagged as a duplicate, because it is in both FolderA & FolderB.

I do NOT want File3 flagged. Even tho' it is duplicated in FolderB, it is not in FolderA.

If I really had my 'druthers, I'd like to be able to compare the 1st-# or the last# of characters of the filenames.

I want the option of only identifying, NOT deleting. I'll handle that separately.

Will any shareware do that? Or stratagies?

jarhtmd has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Match contents of a folder with another folder for duplicate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Match contents of a folder with another folder for duplicate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by jarhtmd

Collapse -
Finding Duplicate Files
by Ceceenn / January 31, 2013 9:53 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
So you need a custom app?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 2:19 AM PST

There are good programming tools out there so this sounds you looked at thousands of web pages and didn't find what you want.

Not all apps have been written so when you find something that hasn't been done, you either write it or have it written.
Bob

Collapse -
Sarcastic reply doesn't help
by jarhtmd / January 27, 2013 5:08 AM PST
R. Proffitt said, " . . . when you find something that hasn't been done, you either write it or have it written."
Gee, thanks so much, Bob.

Just because I couldn't find it doesn't mean it hasn't been written. My asking here is part of my continuing search effort. Am I under the wrong impression that this forum is for helping others, gaining / sharing information . . . NOT for ridiculing those of us who happen to be "less informed"?

I've since found DoubleKiller (http://www.bigbangenterprises.de), which will accomplish the "main" part of my need. Again, my druthers would allow matching on specific characters positions within the file names.
Collapse -
Sarcastic reply doesn't help.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 5:41 AM PST

Actually Bob is right in his post. If you are looking for something that isn't there you make it yourself.
Dafydd. Wales.

Collapse -
Sorry but it was not that at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 2:45 AM PST

Some folk need to put it all up on the table about apps they want but can't find. Businesses have done this often and I'm an author of custom apps for a few companies over the years.

What you are asking for should be something your 2nd year programming student can tackle.

But look at your response. It could put off those that write such and they may elect to not work with you.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob
by jarhtmd / January 28, 2013 8:17 AM PST

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate your remarks & apologize for the tone of my comments. Maybe I misunderstand the purpose of this forum. My intent was to ask if anyone had any knowledge/recommendations of existing software. I've asked similar questions (at other times & in other forums) & gotten yes/no answers. I always try to find answers before posting to any forum & I tried to indicate that I had done so. Asking before looking is, imho, the lazy way out and wastes the time & effort of others. I had looked, but not found. Maybe I had looked in the wrong places; searched the wrong words, etc. I viewed my posting here as simply more searching.

I am not a business; nor am I looking for someone to write an application for me. I have a (1-time) need (for a personal project) & was having trouble finding an application that would do what I want. If the purpose of this forum is to find/hire "contractors", then I'm definitely in the wrong place.

It appears that DuplicateKiller Pro will handle all my current needs.

PS....In all honesty (& no hard feelings intended), I have to say that your comment, "What you are asking for should be something your 2nd year programming student can tackle" comes across (to me) as a real put down.

Collapse -
Not at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Bob

Sorry but it's just above your first app you write but not quite what we expect from graduates. It's somewhere in the middle.

That is, your first app in my opinion should be easier than this one but get a few done and then you are ready.

The app in question could be crafted with any of the free Visual Studio languages but it appears I upset you and I didn't mean to. I thought I'd cover the other angle of app creation when we can't find ready to use.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.