Laptops forum

General discussion

manufacturer or store warranty?

by misstrust / November 19, 2006 12:01 PM PST

is it best to buy at the store but refuse the store warranty and buy it instead through the manufacturer? I'm assuming it's possible to buy the warranty online after recent purchase at a store...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: manufacturer or store warranty?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: manufacturer or store warranty?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 8:54 PM PST

The stores (most if not all) have no spare parts or access to technical information to solve issues with your laptop. I'm not writing that they are a total loss with some notable successes at laptop exchanges at BB.

The makers (names like HP, etc.) on the other hand have the spares and systems to service the unit.

Where all fail is in the software support. No one has that wired yet except possibly Apple.

Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by misstrust / November 20, 2006 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: My thoughts.

Thanks for the great reply, that was really helpful!

Collapse -
manufacturer warranty
by zxcvb531 / November 20, 2006 1:29 PM PST
In reply to: My thoughts.

most stores cant fixed them, they send them our and they try to screw you somewhere in the fine print. Even though DELL Customer has gone down , I still get DELL Fix faster than other companies, but you must know how computers work. I have a compaq that is the worse computer I have even brought for someone, I first blame the person but it happen to me, I just sent it in and less than a week later it does the same thing, then trying to get sent back in, they were telling to do this and that I already told them it was the computer. no past records , Had to tell old case numbers what was wrong,

Collapse -
Great input
by misstrust / November 20, 2006 4:11 PM PST
In reply to: manufacturer warranty

thanks for the info!

Collapse -
Manufacturer Warranty All The Way!
by chillin2345 / November 21, 2006 7:02 PM PST

The problem with the store warranty is that oftentimes, they're not equipped to handle problems for your specific brand notebook. For example, Best Buy's Geek Squad is not a Toshiba authorized repair facility. If you have a Toshiba computer, and you have them repair it, it will automatically void your computer?s standard warranty because you let an unauthorized repair facility fix your computer. By going with the manufacturer's warranty, you are being assured that the manufacturer stands by your product and will repair it to original specifications.

Personally, I have bought both a store warranty (with an emachine's desktop) and the manufacturer's warranty with both of my Toshiba laptops. The emachine was a lemon and the store refused to repair the device to my satisfaction, citing reasons including, "it?s not worth our time", "we're not authorized to do that repair", and "that'll take 6-8 weeks to complete."

On the other hand, with my Toshiba laptops (with manufacturer's warranty), my lemon laptop (I seem to have huge problems with a lot of my computers) was repaired in under 36 hours and delivered to my door. After multiple repairs for the same issue, Toshiba stood by their product and replaced it with the same model.

The difference is that you have the manufacturer's backing (who has an interest in making sure you're satisfied with their product) versus the store's backing (who has an interest in keeping you and your problem computer out of the store and taking your money to pad that quarter?s balance sheet).

I wish extended warranties were not a fact of life and manufacturers would include 1, 2, or 3 years of service support with the computers. I would also love to see everyone join Consumer Report's call to boycott extended warranties. But I?ve had enough problems with computers to understand that 1) you need an extended warranty and 2) you should get one from the manufacturer.

Don't let store personnel tell you otherwise! They make a commission out of these warranties. I?ve had both a Best Buy and a Staples representative tell me that the manufacturer does not sell extended warranties and that if I break the machine once I leave the store, they will not do anything for me. This is a huge scare tactic. Don?t be fooled!

I hope all of this helps!

Collapse -
it helps very much!
by misstrust / November 22, 2006 3:21 PM PST

Thank you, that was very informative and helpful. I will be buying my first laptop pretty soon and so I'm trying to arm myself thoroughly before I walk into the store! I'm working on the basis that knowledge is the best defence against expensive mistakes.

Would you recommend Toshiba as a brand then? You seem to have had good experience of their customer support. Last week I had settled on the HP dv6000t, but then I read one lady's horror story about HP customer support in these forums, and changed my mind! Now i am starting my search over, i am even considering Mac, although I'm pretty nervous about that choice in case there is a steep learning curve to get used to their system.

your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Collapse -
Years ago Toshiba had "issues" and today you will
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2006 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: it helps very much!

Still read unhappy stories about the Pentium 4 based laptops. Those were driven by demand by the consumers but no one educated the buyers what doing this meant. No battery time, heat and did I mention no battery time?

Today the story is much different. Even my dad picked up a nice Core Duo with all the trimmings, 17 inch for 1099 on amazon.com. Stores didn't have that model or match features and prices. But going to the stores helped him to get a feel for the size of the machine and if the keyboard and such was acceptable.

Is he happy? Yup.

Bob

Collapse -
Great Bob, thanks a lot!
by misstrust / November 23, 2006 4:27 AM PST

That's great feedback. There are a lot of wildly contrasting opinions and stories in these forums about the quality and/or service of different manufacturers. This makes it very hard for a novice about to make a substantial investment to have confidence in any of them!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Collapse -
(NT) Manufacturer.
by Ryo Hazuki / November 24, 2006 1:07 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.