Samsung forum

Question

Manual for Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

by christy / December 1, 2012 4:47 PM PST

I have just bought the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 The on-line user's manual is not complete and does not very helpful... e.g. how to create home screen panels, and it does not explain why the default home screen panel is the middle one...., nor how to put those application icons at the bottom ( what are these icons clalled - short cuts ?)...nor how to make it the first panel ( i.e how to edit panels ?).... Where can I find and download a complete manual, or do I have to purchase a "Dummy" book ?

Thank you.

christy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Manual for Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Manual for Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Good question but since the OS can be updated.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2012 1:07 AM PST

I have a new tablet and it updated the OS and some operations changed. The screens look entirely different than the first manual.

It's not unworkable but as you discovered there appears to be some thought that folk will just work it out.

Any complete manual would be incorrect. What to do?
Bob

Collapse -
Manuals....
by christy / December 2, 2012 3:35 PM PST

I am one of those who read the manual first thing before getting anything else out of the box. I even downloaded the more detailed on-line manual beforehand. Most 10 year old or younger kids probably do not need the manual. Unfortunately, I am not in that age range.... and yes.. the Galaxy is slowly working with my efforts.. There are no ten year old kids around to help me.

christy

Collapse -
I'm not 10 years old but thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2012 3:46 PM PST
In reply to: Manuals....

This is an interesting experiment in my view. That is, the very idea you can send out such gear and expect folk to get to work without manuals like we had in early computing days.

Those manuals were grand but over the years the makers discovered to their horror that most were never opened or consulted.

Fast forward to my first Android encounter and the phone came with a rather thick manual so when I had an issue I dutifully found the pages about the feature and tried it. Still failed. Back to the store and they just nodded and said it didn't work and to not read the manual. What a response and 2 years later I'm out of the contract and won't do that again.

To make matters more fun, the cellular carrier may modify the system from what Samsung supplied. So asking the maker may not get the right answer.

-> Ready for my thought on this? Here is is.
-> Android is the new Windows <-

Here we go again,
Bob

Collapse -
....Android is the new Windows ?
by christy / December 3, 2012 7:52 AM PST

I am with you....and Windows 8 does seem to look like Android....

christy

Collapse -
Sadly
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 8:25 AM PST

The word is out that Windows 8 tablet sales are not so good.

Pretty easy to explain. Windows 8 RT is a restricted tablet. So far you can only load apps MSFT have approved and through their store. The word is spreading to avoid that model.

-> Let's be honest here. We have other choices. You have to ask what MSFT was drinking during the past few years to think they could further restrict choices like that.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Manual for Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 3, 2012 3:04 AM PST

Hi christy,

I can answer some of these questions:

How to create home screen panels
You're going to hear me say this a bit, but I'll give you the most direct one. Pinch inward on the home screen, as if you were zooming out. You should now see a list of the screens. Here are the different functions from here:

- Change home screens: tap the house icon in the upper-right-hand corner. The one highlighted in blue is the current home screen.
- Add a panel: tap the panel with a large plus sign on it; it should be the final panel on the list. If you don't see one, then that means you're at your max number of panels. (You can have up to 7 panels.)
- Delete a panel: tap and hold; then draw it to the trash can.
- Change panel order: tap and hold; then drag it into place you want it; the other panels should move out of the way to show you where you would be putting it.

Why the default home screen panel is the middle one
It's because of the metaphor we used to describe these panels: a carousel. Since a carousel goes around and around in real life, I suspect the designers wanted users to discover that they could move both left and right freely until they came back around. In order to support that metaphor, they likely chose the default home screen as the center to encourage that feeling. Yes, I'm speculating, as I don't have the ear of the original designers, but I feel rather confident in these speculations.

I think that may get you started. Happy

HD Tech

Collapse -
Re: From Samsung Online Ambassador
by christy / December 3, 2012 8:05 AM PST

Thank you for your response. Yes.. I got as far as you have described. Fortunately, the learning curve was not too steep. Now...what about those icons at the bottom of the default panel of the home screen ? Are they shortcuts of applications ? How do I add or remove them ? This one still stumps me.

christy

Collapse -
Re: From Samsung Online Ambassador
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 4, 2012 1:04 AM PST

Hi christy,

If you're talking about the app shortcuts that appear with you hit the little chevron button, that's not a standard feature in TouchWiz, Samsung's GUI for Android, and we internally just call them shortcuts. But the thing is that you can't add additional apps to them. Sorry.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Row of Icons
by christy / December 6, 2012 11:36 PM PST

I am refering to the row of icons at the bottom of the default home screen panel...some reviewers call it the quick launch icons ? I seem not able to add or delete them.

Collapse -
Re: Row of Icons
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 7, 2012 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: Row of Icons

Hi christy,

It sounds like you're describing normal icons on the home screen. You need to tap and hold those and then drag them to the trash can in order to get rid of them.

Quick launch is something else altogether: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAqVf1XUqqQ

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.