Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Managing Your Money by Meca - Help!

by freshner / October 25, 2006 5:36 AM PDT

Hello

I'm looking to see if I can revive some old finance files from a program called Managing Your Money (by Meca software). What I need to know is whether any versions of this program can work on later versions of the OS.

I haven't used a Mac in quite some time (1999 or so) so I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest. My plan would be to aquire the software that can work on a relatively late version of the OS. Then I have to go find someone using an older version of the OS and use their computer (geez...what a mess I'm in!) just to extract as much info out of the files as I can (text files would be fine). This assumes most versions of the software won't work on the latest Mac OS.

Anyone out there still use this software?? If so, HELP!...please. Grin

jom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Managing Your Money by Meca - Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Managing Your Money by Meca - Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The last mention of this software
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 27, 2006 11:48 AM PDT

that I found in a search was a page dated 1999.
They said that the software worked on system 6 and 7 (wow, remember them?) but I never did find any newer versions.
Do you have the old version of the program?

MYM will certainly NOT run under OS X but there are plenty of people running lower versions of the Mac OS

If you had the old software, I have OS 7.5 running on an SE30.

Sorry that is the best I can do.

P

Collapse -
MYM...
by freshner / October 28, 2006 4:52 AM PDT

Thanks!

Yeah, I have version MYM 5.0 and it would (most likely) run on system 7 as I believe that was the last version I used for my Mac back in 1999.

I've talked to a few people and they suggest (as you did) to find someone with an old Mac using an old system and give it a go. I think that would solve what I need to get out of these data files I have.

Any suggestions to find someone in my area? I suppose a user group of some sort...???

jom

Collapse -
Macintosh User Groups are a GREAT place to start...
by boya84 / October 28, 2006 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: MYM...
Collapse -
Managing Your Money software
by kaboyd / November 29, 2010 2:31 AM PST

I have been using MYM since 1992; currently have a G4 Mac with both OS 10.4 and Classic installed and have no problem running MYM. So, your comment that "MYM will certainly NOT run under OS X..." is a bit off the mark.

Collapse -
Technically, you are running MYM under OS X
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 29, 2010 2:47 AM PST

but, and it's a big but, what you are doing is rather like me saying that I am running MS Access, a program not available on the Mac, under OS X because I am running Parallels which allows me to run Windows.

What you are doing is running MYM in System 9 which, by virtue of the Classic environment, is allowed to run under OS X.

So the statement that MYM does not run under OS X is actually correct and when you finally move away from 10.4 and PPC, you will not be able to run MYM

P

Collapse -
Running MYM under OS X
by kaboyd / November 29, 2010 7:21 AM PST

If I get an Intel-based Mac, can I install 10.4 and Classic, and continue to run MYM? (Thanks for your quick response.)

Collapse -
NO!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 29, 2010 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: Running MYM under OS X

10.4 and Classic mode are not supported on an Intel machine.

Classic mode was not supported on any machine, including G4, from 10.5 onwards

P

Collapse -
Classic applications on Intel Macs
by kaboyd / January 29, 2011 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: NO!

According to Post #22, Classic applications can be run on Intel Macs (and with OS 10.5 and later) by using a Power PC emulator called SheepShaver. Sounds like the ideal answer to the original question of using MYM with newer systems and avoids the problem of converting files to a different format -- or am I missing something?

Collapse -
MYM 7.2
by mwgord / November 10, 2006 8:42 AM PST

I have been using MYM 7.2 for many years. It runs swimmingly in Classic under MacOS 10.4.8.

7.2 was the final mac release by MECA and was an upgrade from 7.0. You'd need both

There was a utility that converted MYM files to QIF format that could be read by Quicken. I've not used it (yet) so cannot comment on how it works.

Because of the demise of Classic on Intel macs, it seems likely that this lovely program is nearing the end of the line.

Another possibility for you is to use whatever version of MYM you have and generate a Transaction Register report to a file, comma delimited. If you can transfer the data file to your new machine, Excel will open those files so at least you'd have a record of your old transactions.

Mark

Collapse -
MYM 7.2
by freshner / November 11, 2006 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: MYM 7.2

Thanks everyone!

Mark: Do you think I can open up my MYM files (last one from 1998 under 5.0) in version 7.2 of MYM? This morning I just attended a Mac user group here locally and it seems it's a bit hard to find an old Mac than I thought....which seemed to be my only alternative. I may have to BUY one...which I really don't want to do. If MYM 7.2 will open up my files then I would have the option of buying an MYM 7.2 and using one of the later Macs usings OS 10.

My only other problem then would be to get my data off my floppy disks which for a number of them are on old 800k disks.

Any ideas?

jom

Collapse -
You can upgrade MYM 5.0 to 7.2
by mwgord / November 21, 2006 1:58 PM PST

You can upgrade MYM 5.0 data files to version 7.2 which does run very well under Classic in OS 10.4 You need to obtain MYM 7.2. It contains the upgrades to version 6.0, and then to 7.0 and 7.2 It is a complicated upgrade path, but all the pieces needed are present and explained (if I remember correctly) on the MYM 7.2 disks.

The trick is to find MYM 7.2 Don't worry about finding an old Mac, except that you'll need a floppy drive to install the software. There are usb external floppy drives around. I'd encourage you to go back to the Mac user group and see if anyone has old floppy disks in a box that includes MYM 7.2 The program came with an excellent printed manual. Try to find that, too.

MYM is a terrific program, although it lacks some of the most modern web based features of, say, Quicken. I have all my MYM data files since 1990 and they are still perfectly accessible. I sure wish someone would resurrect and upgrade MYM.

Mark

Collapse -
MYM 7.2
by Steven Kirkham / November 20, 2006 2:17 PM PST

I was hoping to buy my father a Mac and convert him from the "dark side". His hold-up is Managing Your Money which he remembers came in a Mac version which you have identified here. Where can I get a copy of the software. Does anyone have a copy for sale?? My hope is to set him up with a powerbook G4 since I hear the new Intel Macs don't support Classic. That way he could use all the current universal programs, as well as Managing Your Money....if I can find a copy of the software.

Any offers or recommendations?

Collapse -
MYM
by freshner / November 21, 2006 4:03 AM PST

I only have version 5.0 but there are later versions as discussed above. I could get you my version but I need it for the time being while I find a solution to my above problem.

jom

Collapse -
Thanks
by Steven Kirkham / November 21, 2006 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: MYM

It sounds like I would need version 7.2. Any thoughts on how to get to that version? Anybody able to sell a copy of the installer for 7.2? Likely not illegal at this point to sell the application since it has been discontinued by the company.

Any takers on copying and selling version 7.2 to me????

Collapse -
MYM
by freshner / November 22, 2006 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Right now I've contacted someone I know who actually has an older Mac and he has MYM but I don't know which version. My other problem is to find a floppy drive since I have much of the info on floppies....this may end up being a big problem.

I really know nothing about the legality of selling to someone else. What is the law?

jom

Collapse -
MYM
by dyehdyeh / January 12, 2007 1:55 PM PST

I've also been using MYM 5.0 on my Mac since 1994; as System 7 upgraded to System 8 then System 9.0.2, I still keep running MYM 5.0. I love it. But now that Apple is no longer supporting System 9, if my Macs go kaput, I'm SOL. My last hope to salvage 12 years of financial data is to either print out reams of reports, or somehow convert to a format that a supported platform (Quicken, Microsoft Money) can read.

I hear that after Intuit bought out MECA software after MYM 7.2 came out, they (of course) do not support MYM. Supposedly there's a windows program that can translate MYM Windows to Quicken files. I've tried it on the Mac files, with no success. Any insight would be really appreciated.

I'm an active stock and options trader with hundreds of trades per year; so far as I know, MYM is the only personal finance program that correctly tracks my options trades.

-DavID

Collapse -
MYM
by freshner / January 13, 2007 1:41 AM PST

I've been working on this problem for awhile now and have somewhat of a solution. I had two problems really. One is that I did not know what version of MYM would work with what version of the Mac OS. Given that I do not own a Mac and haven't for some time I didn't know what was available to me I could aquire or borrow. Plus, I didn't know whether MYM would work at all.

Secondly, ALL of my info was on floppy disks!

It turns out I found someone who could get the info off of the disks and onto a USB flash. So that problem is taken care of. He also checked whether MYM would work and it seems it does on OS 9.2 in "classic" mode. This person was helpful that far but I still need to get my own Mac (probably borrow) that will do what I need.

David: As to conversions, I had tried that as well some years ago when I still had my Mac. It really didn't work for me either. My plan is to at the very least get the data in Excel format or something. Trying to get the info into Quicken is next to impossible from what I can tell. However, if you got an older version of Quicken you can try to get the MYM data into Quicken using a .QIF format (as the conversion program did) but like I said it didn't really work for me. I might however give that a try again...

Just one thing I'd like to share. I found it rather amazing MYM 5.0 still worked on the latest Mac OS. I even had my friend run an even older program called "Dollars and Sense" (circa 1990) and it also worked! This is truly a testament to the Mac OS, IMO. I had to convert to PC for software reasons but I was always happy with the Mac during the 16 years I used them.

jom

Collapse -
convert MYM 5.0 data to Quicken for Mac
by tarheelone / July 11, 2008 6:02 AM PDT

OK... I admit it. I've been addicted to MYM 5.0 for Mac for 16 years. It has worked great all that time up to and including Tiger. Now that Mac's Leopard has dropped Classic mode, I have to convert to Quicken. I tried years ago to move the data to Quicken and couldn't do it then.

Has anyone found a way to convert MYM files to either Quicken for Mac or Excel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Just the obvious...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2008 6:06 AM PDT

To me at least. Run MYM one more time. Print what you need exported to some PDF then open that, select all and paste into Excel.

Done.
Bob

Collapse -
MYM to pdf
by tarheelone / July 12, 2008 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Just the obvious...

Thanks, I can print all my MYM records to a pdf file and then save that. However, I don't understand the purpose of copying the contets of the pdf file to an Excel spreadsheet. So, what will that accomplish? I'm not clear about that. Thanks for elaborating.

Collapse -
In your question above you asked...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2008 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: MYM to pdf

"a way to convert MYM files to either Quicken for Mac or Excel?"

Collapse -
MYM on Current Macs
by Dick_C / June 14, 2010 4:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Just the obvious...

I have not read all the posts in this thread but for anyone interested in using MYM on current Macs----

Please note that the Mac version of MYM can run on current Intel Macs, using a version of SheepShaver. I have used MYM since about 1990 and am now using MYM 7.2 on an Intel iMac with MacOS X 10.6.3 using the disk image downloaded from here:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html

and following the instructions on that page. And MYM runs quite well, including printing to my OS X connected printer.

This disk image is designed to run WordPerfect for Mac, but MYM can be easily installed if you have the software. I copied the MYM files from an old G5 Mac where I was running MYM under OS X 10.4 and Classic.

Collapse -
Managing Your Money by MECA
by mytime0127 / January 16, 2007 1:02 AM PST

I am currently using Managing your Money, MECA Software and would like to upgrade to the current version. I have been unable to finda vendor for this produce. I am using the Windows version now, and will continue to use the Windows version because I do not have a Mac,
Can you help?

Collapse -
Try Ebay.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 1:46 AM PST

The maker is no more so you have to fish around on Ebay. However it's time to move on?

Bob

Collapse -
anyone still have the convertor
by bowlerman25 / February 9, 2008 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Try Ebay.

i have a lady who uses mym 5 on os X 10.4.2 and i need to convert her to quicken. anybody have this convertor for mac? any help would be great! what quicken would i have to have to have it go to? thanks my eamil is comp998@aol.com

Collapse -
mym 7.2
by Arnold Traubitz / January 16, 2007 2:45 AM PST

I have been using MYM since 1991. I am currently using an iMac OS 10.4.8 and MYM 7.2 runs very well in classic mode.

HOwever, printing is another matter. I use an Epson printer and Epson does not support printing in Classic mode. But documents can be saved as a PostScript file. Double click on this file and it will be converted to and Adobe PDF file which can then be printed.

You will need to download two things, both from Adobe:

Adobe PS 8.5.1 for Mac OS
PDF Printer Driver Plug-in 8.5.1

Let me know how you make out on this

A. Traubitz

Collapse -
MYM 7.2
by Arnold Traubitz / November 1, 2007 8:00 PM PDT

I am running OS 10.4.10 (tiger). I have been using MYM since 1991 and have been able to continue its use all the way from whatever OS was available in 1991 and up through all the system software upgrades with no problems. In Tiger, print requests are generated in PostScript. The file appears on the desktop as a PS file. Double click on this, and the file is converted to a PDF file, which can then be printed.

Unfortunately, an upgrade to 10.5 (Leopard) will evict all classic applicaitons. So, it will be some time before I take that leap. I have been test driving Quicken in parallel to MYM this year, and believe me, I have a new appreciation for the elegance of MYM 7.2.In a word, Quicken when compared to MYM sucks.

Collapse -
Managing Your Money and Mac
by mfdillman / January 3, 2008 10:20 PM PST

Unfortunately, the company went out of business several years ago. The last Mac version would have been produced prior to 2000, so there will be nothing written for recent versions of the operating system .

Collapse -
MYM
by helferdm / January 10, 2008 10:42 AM PST

I'm sure you've had a reply before this, but I just saw your query as I searched for a way to convert MYM to Quicken.

I use MYM 7.2 and it works fine with Classic in OSX up to 10.4.11. I found out the hard way that Leopard doesn't support Classic, hence my interest in converting.....

Collapse -
Managing Your Money
by lionikis / June 14, 2008 9:58 AM PDT

I've just found this thread. I have been using MYM since 1988 and now use MYM 7.2 with OS X 10.4.11. Has anyone had any success in converting to anything else? Has anyone attempted to preserve data in some other way?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.