Web Hosting, Design, & Coding

General discussion

Managing my server... without FTP

by GovernmentMan / September 1, 2006 4:27 PM PDT

Until a few days ago, I was able to sit down at my computer at home, download a webpage, work on it with Dreamweaver, and upload it back to my school's website, which I administrate. This was very straight forward, as I used FTP, through either the Explorer interface or the FireFTP Firefox extension. I was able to upload, download, move, rename, delete, and the like, without having to actually be on the campus.

Recently, the County Office of Education, whom grants us an Internet connection, disabled all FTP communications (much to the dismay of me, my overseer, the school's techie, and the superintendant himself), for "lolz securiity reas0ns." All attempts to persuade them to undo this have failed.

Is there any possible way that I can have this same kind of complete control over said server as I did before, but without FTP? Like, maybe PHP, or something? I'm completely new to everything that is not Flash, Photoshop, and basic HTML, so please talk to me as you would a three year old.

Any help is appreciated.

The server in question is running Windows 2000 Server Edition, Service Pack 4. The server application is IIS. Dual-core processor, about 1.5 GHz.

I have multiple computers at home, with ranges of specs. Although, that shouldn't matter, anyway.

(I hope that I'm not forgetting anything...)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Managing my server... without FTP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Managing my server... without FTP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I use html
by PudgyOne / September 1, 2006 7:10 PM PDT

for the website that I take care of. I tried to find the difference between html and FTP and here is what I found

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/FTP_HTTP.asp

In my opinion, html would be the easiest route to take, if your server allows this. It is simple coding and if you sode it correctly, the search engines can read everything on the page.

Here is another place to find information

http://www.w3.org/

I am hoping someone else can come along and give you some better advise. I am not sure what your server will or will not allow. You may want to ask them that question. Your tech people will tell you what you are allowed to do or not, they may even tell you what type of coding you are allowed to use for te website.

One of the simple FREE tools to use is the html kit.

It can be downloaded at

http://www.download.com/3000-2048-10035302.html

Best I can do for you for know.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
I think that you're a bit confused...
by GovernmentMan / September 2, 2006 5:30 PM PDT
In reply to: I use html

HTML is merely a markup language designed for the creation of web pages with hypertext and other information to be displayed in a web browser. It is normally transmitted over HTTP. HTTP and FTP are transfer protocols.

The problem isn't creating webpages, but uploading the finished product to the server from off of the intranet.

Thanks for the link to the "HTML Kit," anyway. With such a disorganized school administration, you never know when a disc, such as a Dreamweaver install CD, will vanish into the abyss.

Grazie~
Derek

Collapse -
Since it's your server..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2006 11:52 PM PDT

Oops it's not. They'll have to tell you how to upload files. FTP does have security issues so while we could spend all our discussion why I feel it must go, ask them how to upload files now.

For me I use OpenSSH (google it please) which fixes the issue nicely.

Bob

Collapse -
It is, in fact, my server.
by GovernmentMan / September 2, 2006 5:13 PM PDT

Well, I don't own it, per se, but I maintain it. I sit at it, every school day, for about fifteen minutes. I control what software is installed on it, and what hardware is replaced. I run the spyware/virus scans, disk cleanup, and defrag it. All the COoE does is supply said server, and the rest of the schools in the area, with an Internet connection. They are our ISP. If I were to ask them how to upload files to a server which they likely don't even know exists, I would probably get some blank stares. All they did to cause this issue was block FTP, like some ISPs are throttling /blocking BitTorrent traffic.

The "security issues" were not related to the very obvious issues with the protocol itself, but rather with a few bad apples uploading some "pr0n & hax" to a very public server. Why the COoE didn't simply apply a password to their server, I don't know.

I'll look into OpenSSH once the Labor Day weekend ends. It seems to be exactly what I need.

Grazie~
Derek

Collapse -
Terminal Services may be an option...
by steve749 / September 2, 2006 3:33 AM PDT

You may have to Google it to read about it but it is an idea for how to handle files on the server and possibly connect the two machines' drives if it is similar to the "Remote Desktop" feature I use in XP for some remote server management.

Regards,
JB

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.