Phones

General discussion

Managing Aplications In Windows Mobile 6.5

by bullheadmike / April 8, 2011 3:06 PM PDT

I used to use a Palm Centro ( Palm OS Based) so I'm used to the way it handled Applications. In it you could put your applications in different categories. Like most used, or never used. So you would not have to scroll though junk you don't use to get to the application you want .

Now I'm using a Palm Treo Pro. A Windows Mobile 6.5 phone. It seems to simply put all applications together in alphabetical order. A real pain. I don't use half the applications pre-loaded on the phone, so i have to scroll though the Junk.. To get to the one I want. I did delete some off the phone, but he system will not let me delete most of the pre-loaded apps.

Any way to get around the can't delete pre-loaded apps??? Any way to put applications in categories?? Then i could have most used, never used, etc..

I thank you all for your kind help and assistance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Managing Aplications In Windows Mobile 6.5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Managing Aplications In Windows Mobile 6.5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's not intuitive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2011 3:33 PM PDT

But you can use File Explorer to the Windows folder then the Start Menu folder and manually place shortcuts and folders there as you please.

So yes, but it is a very old system and not intuitive.
Bob

Collapse -
Not sure?
by bullheadmike / April 9, 2011 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: It's not intuitive.

I appreciate your response. I think you are simply setting how to crate a short cut... But not how to organize applications???

Collapse -
It's that simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2011 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sure?

In the Windows\Start Menu folder you can organize by making a folder there and putting folders and shortcuts as you see fit.

YOU ORGANIZE THIS. Sorry if I was unclear about that.
Bob

Collapse -
No not the responce
by bullheadmike / April 9, 2011 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: It's that simple.

You can only have 6 or 7 folders, so you can't put everything you want in there. Also i can find no way to create a "new" or "custom" folder in the Start Menu, and as sch i can not put sub folders in it. Also you can not arrange or control the order that the programs or apps are listed. If i am wrong I apologize, and ask that you explain how. Thank you.

Collapse -
How odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2011 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: No not the responce

Let me share that I author some WinMo apps. So I know the frustrations of those that just arrive onto WM (all flavors.)

I happen to have my iPaq 211 here so let me File Explore to Windows/Start Menu.

I see TWO ways to create a folder.

1. Using the stylus press down and HOLD IT DOWN until the menu pops up and there's our New Folder option.

2. On the bottom right is Menu and it has a New Folder option.

3. On this version of WinMo it will move that folder magically to the Programs folder.

Shortcuts can be put in said folder.

-> Be aware that this system is not what many are expecting today. It's very old.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) I don't have a clue...
by bullheadmike / April 9, 2011 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: How odd.
Collapse -
Continued
by bullheadmike / April 9, 2011 2:18 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't have a clue...

I figured out to go to programs, then to open ?File explore. I created a new folder called short cuts. But even though I created it under the programs list, it does not show when i go to programs. Also I see no way to put a short cut into it to the programs I want.

Collapse -
Inching closer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2011 2:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Continued

Now that you have the folder (I would have kept it short since these are small screen machines) you can now head to Start, Settings, then the Menus item.

In the "Checked items appear in the Start Menu" you can now show your new folder.

Sorry but I wonder if you are new to Windows Mobile. I don't want you to get frustrated over this old thing. It's not easy to use it natively.

Have you consider installing some shell or skin like SPB Mobile Shell ? I can't tell if you want to forget native and just skin it.
Bob

PS. To add shortcuts to your folder, find the app you want and then tap and hold to get the menu, copy then navigate to your folder then click and hold for the menu and Paste Shortcut.

Collapse -
still can't do it
by bullheadmike / April 10, 2011 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Inching closer.

i can create the new folder but can not get it to show in the start menu. i have followed what you said. But after creating it, it only shows in file explore. It does nor show in programs etc... I found out about SPB last night and most likely will go to that.

Collapse -
My new folder did not show until
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2011 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: still can't do it

I went to Start, Settings, Menu and added it. BE CAREFUL not to check any item in that folder. We want the folder.

Again, I am not trying to frustrate you. This is a very old design that was a real head scratcher why MSFT let it languish and fall so far behind the others.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.