Headphones & Mp3 Players

General discussion

manage a non-ipod mp3 player with itunes with a mac

by cmendes2001 / April 26, 2007 7:50 AM PDT

Does anyone know a way for itunes to recognize a non-ipod mp3 player? I?m a mac user and there are a ton of mp3 players that I would use instead of ipod. However, the fact that I?m used to itunes to manage my playlist and podcast prevents me from even consider other players...
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: manage a non-ipod mp3 player with itunes with a mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: manage a non-ipod mp3 player with itunes with a mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
synctunes
by voxstin / May 19, 2007 3:28 PM PDT
http://www.nesfield.co.uk/synctunes/

Here's a decent bit of free software that works along with your iTunes; specifically, it can transfer playlists from your iTunes to your mp3 player/memory card/etc., and it even sets up .m3u playlists on the targeted device.

It works like a charm on girlfriend's Macbook. Personally, I'm a windows/linux guy, but my girlfriend was in the market for a cute laptop with a webcam attached, so I bought her the bottom of the line Macbook...it's the only semi-affordable laptop with a webcam that seems of substantial build quality to me.

She was hesitant to get a Mac, because she'd have to re-buy MS Office, she wasn't sure if she could play "The Sims," and she didn't want to have to get another mp3 player. I thought that her concerns were a bit shallow, but that's partially because I'm a nerd. I assured her that there's a Mac version of "The Sims," vowed that I'd get her a copy of MS office, and promised that her mp3 player (Samsung YP-F1 1GB) could work with a Mac.

Spent all day looking for Mac music software that was compatible with non-ipod MP3 players. I found some stuff, but nothing that I found acceptable, least not anything that kept your music as well organized as iTunes. I came across a bit of Windows-only software, "iTunes agent," that allows one to sync his or her non-ipod with iTunes. But this did me no good, being that I need software with similar functionality, but on the Mac platform.

I looked for about 3 hours, and came across this. The functionality of this software, Synctunes, is not 100% seamless; it is a bit "extra" so to speak. But given the circumstances, and with a tweeking of it's settings, I consider it a modestly elegant solution.

One "limitation" of this software is that it only sync's with one playlist at a time. So to sync your entire library--mind you I'm not entirely proficient at iTunes, I mainly use VLCPlayer or Windows Media Player to listen to music, so there may be a way to copy the entire library in one swoop--you have to sync it one playlist at a time. I suspect that this is by design on the part of the software programmer/team.

Initially I saw this lack of a total Library sync as a great limitation. But with the use of iTunes "Smart Playlist" functionality, I made a playlist that would choose albums at random, up to 990mb worth (the amount of music her 1gb mp3 player can hold). I feel that this play list satisfactorily mimics the way iTunes handles music collections which have outgrown their iPod.

It takes a few minutes to get the settings just right, but once you do, it's an effective, and considering the circumstances, ellegant, way to keep your non-ipod mp3 player synced with your iTunes library on the Mac platform.

I haven't tried the windows only "iTunes agent," but here's the link
http://ita.sourceforge.net/

Hopefully this helps ya'll. Overall Synctunes gets 3.5 out of 5 stars from me; very good option for intermediate to advanced computer users or entry level users whom may have an intermediate+ computer user to choose the initial options.

After initial set-up...it's just syncing...sweet.
Collapse -
Sync's all of your playlists
by rickygordon / May 20, 2007 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: synctunes

I have been using synctunes for around 6 months also and found syncing each individual playlist very tiresome (I have a very large music collection). I found this new software that works with Plugins into iTunes and also a standalone application (workds better if you launch the standalone app). The app is called iTuneMyWalkman. The software is designed specifically for mobile phones but also seems to work with external hard drives and flash drives, unfortunately no M3u playlist. Hope this helps

Collapse -
itunemywalkman
by voxstin / May 21, 2007 6:26 AM PDT

Sounds promising...

Syncing with Synctunes is definitely a pain if you have a higher capacity player and lots of songs.

Instead of doing a true sync, at least in my experience, Synctunes deletes all the information from the player, and then writes the songs from the playlist. This is problematic. For instance, if you only want to add one song to your player, you'll have to wait for Synctunes to delete all of the songs that are already on the player, rewrite all of these songs, and then add the one song you wanted to add.

Deal breaker if you have a large collection. I'll try this out, but the exclusion of self-generating playlist will most likely be a deal breaker for me.

I'll give this a try this weekend.

Thanks.

Collapse -
I used iTunemywalkman.
by fbbbb / May 21, 2007 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: itunemywalkman

Had problems with the then-latest release I used before defecting back to Windows, but the release .92 was fantastic. Worked flawlessly with all my USB mass storage players and synced playlists very well. I liked - and used it - enough to make a donation.

Collapse -
Synctunes 2.0
by voxstin / June 18, 2007 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: itunemywalkman

Synctunes 2.0 score upgrade. 4 of 5 stars. It actually syncs now; much quicker. I've been using it for a month or so and it's a thumbs up.

Give it a try if you desire to use a non-iPod mp3 player with your Mac computer.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, I've added this to the forum sticky.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2007 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: synctunes
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.