Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Malwarebytes wont open

by jaysmommy / July 31, 2009 9:26 AM PDT

Hi im new to the site i hope im posting this in the right place. Here's my problem I really hope that somebody can help me. I have malwarebytes installed on my pc. For some reason it won't open. I tried downloading & running it because I noticed my google searches were being redidected & I keep getting all these annoying pop-up ads. I also can't use System Restore because it doesn't go farther than selecting the restore point. After I click next nothing happens. & I keep getting this annoying yellow pop up box that says "Your browser is under the threat of infection. Windows requires your permission to install online protection tool". I took a screen shot of it so you can see what im talking about.

http://i25.tinypic.com/eryctw.jpg

Thank you so much for your time & help this is driving me crazy lol.

-Christine-

Os- Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Malwarebytes wont open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Malwarebytes wont open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You could try.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 31, 2009 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Malwarebytes wont open

....going to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and rename the "mbam.exe" file (i.e. Your Name.exe) within the folder. Then double-click on the Your Name.exe, in order to run it.

Does that help to get MBAM running?

Collapse -
it worked!
by jaysmommy / July 31, 2009 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: You could try.......

Thank you so much that did the trick! Im about to perform a scan now

Collapse -
Re; Malwarebytes' won't open
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Malwarebytes wont open

Christine..

Firstly, welcome to the forum. It might be important to know, if you installed MBAM after the problem occurred. Or, if you already had it installed on your system. The former seems to be the case, from my understanding of what you wrote.

If the former is the case, you might want to try this first. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe and rename the mbam.exe, as shown here. Rename it something such as chris.exe. (It may be necessary to unhide your files and folders, in order to view the mbam.exe.) Once renamed, double-click on the file and see if you're able to run the program.

If you're unsuccessful, try running the program in Safe Mode. There are some other things you can "check and try", but for the time being see if the above helps. Let us know how you make out.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Safe mode?
by jaysmommy / July 31, 2009 12:50 PM PDT

Hi carol! I installed the program after i realized i had an infection on my computer. & i did as you said & re-named the file & im happy to say that it works now!... This might be a dumb question but I'm kinda clueless when it comes to computers so try to bear with me lol should I switch my computer to safe mode to run the scan or should i just run it in regular mode? Does it make a difference?

Collapse -
Re: Safe mode?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Safe mode?

Christine..

I only mentioned "safe mode", if after renaming the file, you were (still) unable to run MBAM. It may have made it easier for you. Since you are able to run it, I would suggest scanning in normal mode. According to a couple of the Administrators at the Malwarebytes' Forum, MBAM was designed to be used in normal mode, for optimal removal.

And by the way .. as has been said by many, "The only dumb question, is the one not asked". Wink

Carol

Collapse -
virus
by jaysmommy / July 31, 2009 4:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Safe mode?

Hi Carol! Sorry I took so long to reply I babysat 3 toddlers today so I've been running around like crazy lol.

What you said is very true, I never thought about that lol. And without asking you will never learn! Happy

I ran the MBAM scan & it found 1 trojen today. My computer has been acting strange for almost a month now & for whatever reason I was able to scan my pc using MBAM a few times in the past & it worked fine it just started messing up recently but thats a non-issue anymore since i kno how to fix it now by renaming the file but anyway im getting off topic sorry lol... In my previous MBAM scans (including todays) it picked up 14 trojen viruses but I still suspect I have more that arent coming up because my computer is still acting funny. What should I do?

Thanks

Heres my MBAM logs

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2297
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

7/3/2009 6:38:29 PM
mbam-log-2009-07-03 (18-38-28).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|G:\|)
Objects scanned: 242373
Time elapsed: 46 minute(s), 33 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 6
Folders Infected: 3
Files Infected: 5

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\windows

Collapse -
Re: Virus
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 6:11 PM PDT
In reply to: virus

Christine...

Please update MBAM. The current database version (as of now) is 2539. Run another scan. I suspect after updating, scanning and rebooting, you will continue to see the same infected file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSIVXcount (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

If that is the case, I would suggest downloading and installing HijackThis. Post the new MBAM log, along with the HJT log, at the Malwarebytes' Forum. HijackThis will allow them to see more of what's going on. They also have tools at their disposal, which will help. We don't analyze HJT logs here.

You can download Trend Micro's HijackThis from here: http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download

Read the Instructions here: http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/qsg

Post the logs here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?s=3bc54148eb5885f4b8c7295fa434fb79&showforum=7

Best of luck ..
Carol

Collapse -
thank you
by jaysmommy / August 1, 2009 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Virus

carol-
Thank you for all of your help & time. I just updated MBAM & I'm going to run the scans now.

Collapse -
by jaysmommy / August 1, 2009 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Virus

I just downloaded & tried to run HJT but it wont open! Should I rename it the same way I did for MBAM?

Collapse -
You're welcome. Yes you can rename it.
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 1, 2009 7:05 PM PDT
In reply to: ...

Rename it in the same way you did MBAM. How about renaming it jay.exe ( Wink ) this time?

If you run into any further problems, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.