Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Malwarebytes won't open

by Donita / April 22, 2009 9:46 AM PDT

Have malwarebytes installed on my pc. For some reason it won't open. I tried running it because I noticed my google searches were being redidected. I can run Adaware but can't get any updates. Can't use System Restore because it doesn't go farther than selecting the restore point. After that clicking next does nothing happens. Can't go to the malwarebytes website or windows update, I get "page cannot be displayed". I can go to the Adaware site but when I click the link for manual update I get the same "page cannot be displayed". Tried all 3 programs in safemode only Adaware would run but still could not update.(Safemode w/networking)Type of brouser makes no difference(IE 6 or Firefox) Ran my virus scan(Eset)found 3 infections that were deleted but didn't help. Saw something on an eariler post about renaming the MB seup file but that made no difference. Hoping somone can help. Sorry for the long post.

OS-XP Professional service pack 2
AMD Athlon 3000+

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Malwarebytes won't open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Malwarebytes won't open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Malwarebytes' won't open
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 22, 2009 11:16 AM PDT

Donita..

I'm not quite sure where you are at this point. You first noted you had MBAM installed. Then you stated "renaming the setup file made no difference". If it's already installed, try going to "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" and renaming the executable, as shown here. Double-click on it and try running it from there. Does that help?

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Try running MBAM in safe mode.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 22, 2009 11:17 AM PDT

Also:

Click on Start, click Run, and then type devmgmt.msc and click OK
On the View menu click on Show hidden devices
Browse to Non-Plug and Play Drivers and you should see something like

TDSSspax.sys
TDSSServ.sys
gaopdxserv.sys
UACmxegjtve.sys

Highlight that driver and right click on it and select DISABLE - NOT uninstall.
Now RESTART your computer.

Does MBAM now update ?

Collapse -
Sorry for not being clear...
by Donita / April 22, 2009 12:19 PM PDT

I had malwarebytes installed before the problem. Then when it wouldn't run I uninstalled then reinstalled. Tried renamed the file to notmbam but still would not run. I did try to run malwarebytes in safe mode but no luck. Looked in Non-Plug and Play but found none of those files. I ran F-Secure online scan just before I posted. It removed 7 spyware and 1 hidden and 1 virus. Still have the same problems. Thanks for the help but not sure what to do next. From another pc I emailed MB maybe thy will help.

Collapse -
Checked the link to the example again...
by Donita / April 22, 2009 12:31 PM PDT

your file is mbam.exe. In my folder mine is just mbam. Only the dll's have the extention in their name. Would this matter?

Collapse -
To unhide the file extension..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 22, 2009 1:03 PM PDT

Donita..

The following should allow you to view the entire file name:

Go to Start>Control Panel. Double-click on Folder Options. Select the 'View' tab. Scroll down to where you see the heading 'Hidden files and folders'. Put a tick mark next to 'Show hidden files and folders'. Then uncheck the 'Hide protected operating system files (recommended)' option. Also uncheck the 'Hide file extensions for known file types' and click "Apply" then "OK".

I'm going to put this back in Marianna's hands. No doubt she will get you up and running. Wink

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Fixed It....
by Donita / April 22, 2009 2:47 PM PDT

I had a networked pc copy the mbam file to a folder I could grab it from. Then renamed it before copying and replaceing my file. Was then able to run the program from that file. Updated then scanned and found 13 infections including 7 registry DNS redirect files. Can update adaware and go to the blocked sites! Thanks both of you for your time.

Collapse -
(NT) Great work! Glad we were able to help. :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 22, 2009 3:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Fixed It....
Collapse -
Guess I didn't fix it...
by Donita / April 23, 2009 1:02 AM PDT

turns out that even tho the redirect hacks were deleted I still can't run MB normaly. Thought I could just change the mbam file back to its original name to run the program. Will only work with the renamed file. Did a complete unistall including deleting registry files, but when I reinstall will only work with the name change. Then I noticed a text file in my C folder named aaw7boot. Deleted it but it returns on reboot. Tried to do a google search and the redirects started again. Ran MB but found nothing new. Did a search on another machine and found out that file was a virus. Probably not telling you anything you didn't know. I can still go to the other sites that had been blocked, but I'm thinking this is a problem I need to deal with, any ideas? Thanks for any help!

Collapse -
aaw7boot.
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 23, 2009 2:57 AM PDT

I would suggest, Please download this program Trend Micro HijackThis to your desktop.

Double-click on it to run and install it.

Then launch the program and click on Do a system scan and save a logfile. This log file will open in Notepad.

Please start a Newtopic here and post the most recent Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log file and HijackThis log file using Copy/Paste.

The Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log file is located in the Logs tab of the program.

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice....
by Donita / April 23, 2009 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: aaw7boot.

I'm currently working with am MB tech so I'll wait to do that. I did d/l the Trend Micro program and ran the scan so I'll send them to him and see what he says

Collapse -
Super - probably they will need......
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 23, 2009 3:13 AM PDT

special tools to remove the infection.

You are in good hands Happy

Collapse -
Everything good now.....
by Donita / April 23, 2009 10:42 AM PDT

Tom at malwarebytes was great. Very through I'd have to say, for support like that for a free program is just fantastic. I highly recomend using them if you have this problem.

Collapse -
did you get a fix?
by petesands / June 8, 2009 9:56 PM PDT

I have the same problem.

After running mbam.exe, which I have renamed to xxx.exe, i can use my browser, etc.

but after a reboot, once I try a google search, the redirects start again.

help!

Collapse -
Did you get it fixed?
by pauleisd / July 27, 2009 4:55 AM PDT

I am going through the same things...

Collapse -
contact info -malwarebytes ?
by jillzyoung / July 1, 2011 8:54 AM PDT

Can you provide how to contact the Malwarebytes company? I have the same problem: malwarebytes won't open; constant redirect with Google searches; "page cannot be displayed" when trying to go to malwarebytes website. I also did download and try to run in safe mode - no go. However, I don't really understand all that you guys are saying to do, and can't get to anyplace that will give a way to contact the company. I would greatly appreciate contact info!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.