How To forum

Question

Making Virtual dvd default.

by tott132 / April 26, 2013 4:04 AM PDT

Hello forum.
I have a reader program running in my computer that gets it's encoded PDF type files off of physical dvds. I do not have the physical dvds, i have ISO's on my hard drive.

When I select an article from the index list in the installed program, it tells me to insert the corresponding DVD.

How do I get the program to recognize the virtual DVD drive with the ISO instead of the DVD drawer? The program does not come with a drive selector dropdown. The program will not open the file directly off my HD, and no other readers will open these files. My other alternative is to buy someblank DL-DVD9s.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Making Virtual dvd default.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Making Virtual dvd default.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why not share the full details?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 4:27 AM PDT

For example most apps have settings where you tell where to find the files. And we know Adobe Reader handler encoded PDFs just fine so that app has me put the PDF over in a folder and not in the virtual DVD.

So without all the details, it's unlikely to be solved and besides, the issuer of the PDF and reader should be asked since many new laptops have no such drive.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry
by tott132 / April 26, 2013 7:07 AM PDT

Sorry. I was just trying to get to the point.

It's Bondi Reader for Rolling Stone Cover to Cover archiives. It reads .djv or .djvu files, but none of the dejvu readers wiill open them. I guess they are encrypted to only open with the Bondi/Rolling Stone package. As we all know, most pdf and game files or video and music files will open if you just drag the media file and drop it on top of your media player. But these won't work that way. You have to open the program and use the internal index or search bar. It will then tell you which DVD to insert. Then it will automatically recognize the disc and pull up your selected article or dated issue.

If they were DVD-5 it would be fine, I'd just burn them, but they are DL dvd-9s. How do I get the program to recognize the virtual dvd-iso, with absolutely no configuration buttons on the program. It's not even supported any more. the last update was for vista. I know it works in 7 though because the first few issues are built into the main program. They open fine.

Collapse -
Sadly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry
Collapse -
Vista Patch
by tott132 / April 26, 2013 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Sadly.

Yeah, Win7+8 are not supported, And the program will not even open in Win7 until I install the Vista patch from their website. When I get a little more time to mess with it, I'm going to uninstall my physical dvd drive. Then maybe It'll point itself to the virtual drive.

I don't think Its a copy guard thing, I've already got the data off their discs, into my HD and converted to ISO with no cracking or ripping programs. Just cutting and pasting. I just have to get it to point itself to the virtual drive with no configuration features.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.