Mac OS

Resolved Question

Making OS Lion Install Disk *after* Installation

by sujanpatel / July 27, 2011 12:04 AM PDT

I installed OS Lion and I want to create a boot up disk only for OS Lion in case if anything goes wrong later and I checked online, but its all before the installation. Any idea how to create boot up disk after OS Lion installation? Thanks a lot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Making OS Lion Install Disk *after* Installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Making OS Lion Install Disk *after* Installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by sujanpatel

Collapse -
It's your lucky day,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 27, 2011 5:33 AM PDT

I know exactly how to do that, having just finished creating a disk for myself.
First you will need to download, from the App store, Lion (again). It gets deleted once you do the install.
To download it again, go to the App Store and select Purchased. This should show you Lion as being installed.
Now click on one of the other sections, Featured for example, then hold down the option key and click the Purchased section again. It should show Lion with Install instead of Installed. It is finicky and may take a few tries to make it work.
Once you get it to work, download it.
Find the downloaded file, and right click it and choose "Show Package Contents". Navigate your way to "Shared Support" and find InstallESD.dmg
Drag it to the desktop, it will make an alias
Launch Disk Utility, put a blank DVD in your burner and then click the Burn button at the top left.
You will be prompted for the location of the file to be burned. Navigate to the Desktop and choose the InstallESD.dmg file.
Follow the rest of the prompts and at the end of the session, you will have a fully bootable DVD of Lion

Collapse -
the downloaded file
by macnerd10 / July 27, 2011 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: It's your lucky day,

lands in the Applications folder (Install OS X Lion).

Collapse -
Great tip...
by Rider3 / July 27, 2011 10:29 AM PDT

After my initial install of Lion, I let
the installer get away from me before I could make a disk.

However, I was able to use the original
Snow Leopard disk to start the MBP with Lion installed to repair the
disk.
Not sure what else I could have done with that disk.

Anyway, thanks for the tip! It worked
great!

Collapse -
You made my day!!
by sujanpatel / July 27, 2011 11:13 AM PDT

Thanks a lot... It worked for me.

Collapse -
A simpler way
by Steve 1 2 3 / July 28, 2011 5:53 AM PDT

Following macnerd10 (above) I found the Lion installation disc in my applications folder. I then followed your method starting "Find the downloaded file..." It worked (or at least I created a DVD which ran up to the point when it was about to (re)install Lion.)

Collapse -
One more thing about Lion
by macnerd10 / July 28, 2011 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: A simpler way

Lion creates a hidden 650MB partition on the hard drive where it gets installed. This is the recovery disk. If something goes wrong with the OS, one can start the computer and press Option key (or command/Apple+R) immediately after the chime, and on the gray screen that hidden restore disk will be visible. If you click on it, it opens up some options including DiskUtility that can repair the damaged OS on the hard drive or replace the OS. This makes creating a bootable disk less necessary.

Collapse -
You don't need one!
by sawatzky / August 5, 2011 12:13 PM PDT

I second this post. I created an install disk, but when I restarted with the option key, I suddenly had three startup disk options. The disk I created was unnecessary.

Collapse -
The Recovery partition will not
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 6, 2011 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: You don't need one!

reinstall Lion unless you have a broadband internet connection.

Collapse -
Good point!
by macnerd10 / August 6, 2011 7:04 AM PDT

It does download the whole enchilada again. If one has a Time Machine backup, this option is the best and fastest. If not, the Mod's clarification and advice should be followed. FYI, the recovery HD includes Terminal, Disk Utility, Safari for online help, and two recovery modes (reinstall via Internet and restore via Time Machine backup). If the hard drive is toast, none of these options would work understandably.

Collapse -
Answer
Can I recover the lost data on Lion when I install it?
by obalysoly / September 13, 2011 6:16 PM PDT

I have updated my Mac OS .But I found that I had lost some important files.Can I use Nice to Recover Data for Mac software to recover them?

Collapse -
Instead of hijacking a thread that has nothing to do with
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 14, 2011 5:00 AM PDT

your problem,

Make a new thread in the OS X forum.

Use Time Machine to recover your files

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.