Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Make start-menu icons *permanently* small?

by KatanaDV20 / May 31, 2005 11:12 PM PDT

Hello all Happy

I would like to keep my start-menu icons permanently small and this is what I do:

Right-click on Start button--->Properties--->Customize--->Show Small Icons in Start Menu (I check the box)

Trouble is each time I reboot the menu is back to large icons again Sad

Perhaps theres a registry entry I can twiddle to make this permanent? Would really appreciate any help!

Thank you Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Make start-menu icons *permanently* small?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Make start-menu icons *permanently* small?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Make start-menu icons *permanently* small?
by Tufenuf / May 31, 2005 11:17 PM PDT

Are you clicking OK/Apply/OK after you make the change?

Collapse -
by KatanaDV20 / May 31, 2005 11:20 PM PDT

Yes I click the OK button Happy

Sorry...forgot to add that!

The icons remain small for the session but if I log out of my user name (or shutdown and reboot) the large icons come back.

For some reason XP Home isn't "remembering" that I told it to use small icons!

Collapse -
Re: Yes
by Tufenuf / May 31, 2005 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

"Yes I click the OK button"

Try clicking OK, then Apply, then OK, then restart your computer.

Collapse -
No Apply
by KatanaDV20 / May 31, 2005 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Yes

The "Apply" button remains greyed-out!

The OK button is in the"Customize Classic Start Menu" window - which overrides the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties"...and thats where the greyed-out "Apply" button is!

So you can only press "OK" Happy

Collapse -
Yes I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 1, 2005 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: No Apply

There's no "Apply" button when I try as well.

Just OK from the Customize dialogue window, and OK out of Start Menu Properties. The Apply remains greyed out.

Strangely, when I tried to do this on my computer to see what the problem was with Katana's system, my icons didn't change size. They already look small on mine.

Katana does the problem you have apply to any other accounts, or just yours?

Collapse -
I use the regular start
by roddy32 / June 1, 2005 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes I agree

menu and not the Classic and "apply" shows up for me. I also use the small icons so I can fit more on the start menu. I have 18 items "pinned" there that I use all the time plus I've got another dozen or so on the quicklaunch.

Collapse -
Re: I use the regular start
by Tufenuf / June 1, 2005 1:02 AM PDT

roddy, I also use the regular Start Menu and the Apply is not greyed out and is operable after I change settings under the Customize Start Menu section then click OK.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Same here and I've never had a problem.
by roddy32 / June 1, 2005 5:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Still trying!
by KatanaDV20 / June 1, 2005 2:20 AM PDT

Thanks everyone for trying to help me Happy

Mark - Yes it affects all accounts. On reboot or re-login Windows forgets the setting Sad

Sorry I should have been clearer in what I was trying to do! Best done with screenshots:

This is the normal start menu with the regular-sized icons:

And this is how I want them to appear - permanently:

From your replies I get the impression that this can only be done when one is *not* in "Classic" mode (as I am)...? I hope not...I like Classic mode! Hee hee.

Collapse -
Still trying!
by Snmyr / June 1, 2005 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Still trying!

I went to my start menu changed it to Classic menu then put a check mark in the small icon box clicked the ok (apply grayed out) then ok again reboot and when I loged on my Icons were still small. So Yes it can be done. But I do not know enough about Computers to figure out why your is misbehaving.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.