Storage forum

General discussion

Make a usb read only

by Harpdog / March 13, 2009 11:27 AM PDT

I need to make a usb pen drive read only after loading files on it. Can anyone help me with options. I don't want any registry modifying utilities. I simply don't want the usb drive to be modifiable, and I will be doing a quantity of around 300 drives. Would it be asking to much to also have them cross platform cabable Mac/PC?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Make a usb read only
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Make a usb read only
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2009 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Make a usb read only

Are you willing to pay a premium for this? Figure 50 or more bucks extra per drive since the drive may need to be modified after the burn.

Most people I know will not pay for this.
Bob

Collapse -
USB read only
by Harpdog / March 14, 2009 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: For this.

Just to clarify I am loading the 300 usbs with files and would then want to make the usbs read only myself. I am willing to purchase software/hardware to do this if there is any.

Collapse -
Unlikely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2009 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: USB read only
Collapse -
Make USB pen drive read only
by Harpdog / March 14, 2009 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Unlikely.

Just to clarify I am loading the 300 usbs with files and would then want to make the usbs read only myself. I am willing to purchase software/hardware to do this if there is any.
No registry tweeks. No glueing switches.I need a viable way of doing this that has an end result of a USB that can be read only.

Collapse -
Then it can be done for a price.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2009 6:30 AM PDT

Your specification needs to go to some engineering firm and they'll get it done for you. I'm an electronics designer so I know we can do this. The NRE is in the 25K region so is it worth that much?

You probably think there should be a product similar to today's common memory sticks out there but the market is so small that you'll have to go custom for this one.
Bob

Collapse -
i have the same question, but this may help
by DavidKight / March 20, 2009 12:24 PM PDT

I know you want to do it yourself (as do I). I am going with ipromo.com to do mine though. They will put data on it for like $1/drive and their drives are cheap.

You could try contacting one of the custom USB flash guys, they may share. That is my next stop. Here is what I have found so far. You can add the data to a read only created partition on the drive. You can physically disable the connection that writes data. Otherwise I think you are stuck as am I.

Collapse -
Thumbscrew: Software USB Write Blocker
by alsstuff / March 25, 2009 6:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
USB Read only
by phil369 / November 18, 2010 6:51 PM PST

Does it have to be a stick? Could you use a CD?
From Mr Non-Technical(!)

Collapse -
It's a good question.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 18, 2010 7:30 PM PST
In reply to: USB Read only

But it's 1? years late, maybe?

Kees

Collapse -
That's a good solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2010 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: USB Read only

And it's cheap to implement!

CDR material here is less than a dime so it beats the USB stick by 20 or better.
Bob

Collapse -
SD cards
by darko31 / March 12, 2012 12:02 AM PDT

Yeah, I have also a need for read only usb drive but I haven't found a way to this. On the other hand regular SD cards have read only/read write switch so you could put them in small usb card readers and have read only usb storage.

Collapse -
Did you by any chance find a solution to this?
by axm304 / June 4, 2012 11:37 PM PDT

Most solutions I see online only flip the registry entry which disables writing to a USB drive on your computer alone. My requirement is similar to yours, where I have around 200 USB drives that I want to load with some files and then make the drives non-writable/editable. My drives dont have a physical switch. Any help is appreciated.

Collapse -
At 200 pretty expensive compared to normal drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2012 2:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
Already have older drives I need to use
by axm304 / June 5, 2012 9:39 PM PDT

@Bob, thanks for replying. Problem is I already have a bunch of branded unused usb's that I want to use and wasn't looking at buying new ones. I'm really surprised there is no simple software solution out there for this. The only which comes close is where you can fill up the empty space with a dummy file, but that doesn't prevent anyone from simply deleting and replacing one of more files on the drive.

Collapse -
It's an old issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2012 2:20 AM PDT

And while I have helped others do this, without the write protect switch there is no other standard mechanism or software to turn an plain stick into something special.

I can only guess you don't know the plain sticks are made for the lowest cost and as such have no such feature.

It was a shame some buddy of mine thought they could price out such sticks at the same as normal sticks. They lost a small bundle completing a contract. Luckily the rest of the contract had enough to cover the extra expense of the custom rom stick.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.